• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Build 14: New Installer Method for Testing and Feedback

When should we switch to using this new method?

• Total voters
In that case I have to wonder if the error is on your side; the file IS there on the same server as the other file. o_O
Perhaps clearing the browser cache would make it behave itself?
PS. I have now done a new install, Installation Method version 1
and it run well.:)

Last edited:
I did a complete new install of the stock game - played a little and stunned buy how far we have progressed from the original.
Used the new installer and the .dat file and all went OK.
Build 14 Beta 4 works as it should - in game play at moment on standard storyline. Will let you know of any issues.
Thanks again.

I did a complete new install of the stock game - played a little and stunned buy how far we have progressed from the original.
Indeed! I tried the stock game for some testing purposes last month and you can barely even recognize that it is the same game.
That's the way I like it! :cheeky

Used the new installer and the .dat file and all went OK.
Thanks for confirming that it does actually work now! It took some figuring out to get there, but I'm quite happy with the new process.
More efficient, more reliable and less prone to user errors! :dance

Sorry Pieter - Internet Explorer 11 of course. - It has been a long day.:modding
You mean that's what you used to test the download links above?
And the .DAT one worked? How about the current .CAB version instead? Does that also work?
That one has seemed to more reliably trigger the "download" behaviour for other users here.

Yep, used it to download the .DAT file. The current CAB file also works to download and "Save As".
I put both files in the stock game directory and ran as administrator.
All was good.
I like this system better than having the files in a folder on my desktop.

I put both files in the stock game directory and ran as administrator.
Ah! Thanks for trying that one too. I figured that should work correctly now as well, but I forgot to test it myself so thanks for confirming. :doff

When I upgraded to 23 august status I already had the 13 august install ready. I ran the new installer (from
outside the game). The installer noticed I had no .cab file anywhere but it seems to work anyway. (like you said Pieter)
Checked the number of files afterwards and it has increased. (by 5 I think)

When I upgraded to 23 august status I already had the 13 august install ready. I ran the new installer (from
outside the game). The installer noticed I had no .cab file anywhere but it seems to work anyway. (like you said Pieter)
Checked the number of files afterwards and it has increased. (by 5 I think)
Indeed the 13 August version was already compatible with the Beta 4 base.
So if you had the "Main Files" selected, it would give you two warnings that the Installer couldn't find the CAB file.
After that, it always still try to install the Update Files. And since it was already compatible, that worked fine.
Sounds like it is all doing what I want it to. Thanks for the confirmation! :cheers

Maybe once we get to the Beta 4 public release, I should redo that 7-Zip archive again.
It has already gotten rather large again just over the past few weeks. :facepalm

Currently redoing the entire archive and Installer EXE to ensure Build 14 Beta 4 makes for a clean install.

To install, you'll need this brand new "b14_beta4_final.cab" file.
I am considering NOT providing an "upgrade" option for people to ensure everyone has the mod based on the same file.
To distinguish with earlier Beta 4 WIP versions, I will refer to this one as "Build 14 Beta 4.0" or "Build 14 Beta 4 Final".

Does anyone think we should change the "default resolution"?
At the moment it is still the stock game value of 800x600.
But since engine.ini has to be included in the archive anyway, it would be possible to change that now.

I wonder also if there is any point in updating the [cache] and [makedir] sections of engine.ini .
Does anyone have any sort of clue about that at all?

Went through the entire installation creation process today up to the point that I made a test install from the brand new archive.
As expected, some files were still missing. So tomorrow after work, it is time for another pass.
This is why I started today while my deadline for getting it fully ready is on Thursday; still two days and two passes left... :wp

Does anyone think we should change the "default resolution"?
At the moment it is still the stock game value of 800x600.
But since engine.ini has to be included in the archive anyway, it would be possible to change that now.
I guess it would be nice to have it default to a widescreen resolution. I think 1920 x 1080 is the most popular according to the Steam hardware survey, but that might be too high for some PotC players. Maybe the second most popular resolution (1366 x 768) would make more sense? Anyone have any other ideas or preferences?

I do think the default resolution should be one that would work on ANY computer.
Otherwise the game may crash on computers that don't support it.

Mine, for one. There's a reason all my screenshots are 1024 x 768. ;)
That is indeed the value I was considering having as default.
I can't imagine anyone would have a maximum resolution of 800x600 anymore, so 104x768 sounds to me like a plausible default.

Back