• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Build 14: New Installer Method for Testing and Feedback

When should we switch to using this new method?

• Total voters
I have 1920 x 1200. Will there be any problem with 104x768 for me?
I doubt anyone playing the game would ever have problem with a 1024x768 default.
Of course you should always change it with Config.exe anyway. :cheeky

I use 1280x960. Its a nice resolution , every forms looks as the should.
I think almost every one could run it to day. I want a circle to be a circle
and a square to be a square and it is so with this format.
PS. For all other stuff I use 1920x1080, but I dont like widescreen gaming.

Last edited:
1920X1080 is the most popular screen resolution, but the default should be the one that those least likely to change it are using. Since it seems most players are using laptops, perhaps it should be the most common laptop resolution. What is that 1366X????

1024x768 is the only one I feel comfortable with setting, so that's what it'll be.

The 2.74 GB CAB file is basically ready. I tested it and it seems to work quite fine in combination with the 4.18 MB Installer EXE.
So unless there will be new stuff to include tomorrow, this will be it for the archive itself.
In fact, even if there IS new stuff, I may just leave that out on purpose.
No harm in putting some small code files in an update to the EXE later.

I compiled the final CAB archive yesterday. Took rather longer than expected, so I was unable to do a final test with it.
But it is based on the contents that worked earlier, so it should be OK. This is the file I'll upload this weekend.
If need be, I can still include small code corrections to the EXE itself next week. But if not necessary, I prefer to avoid that.

Uh ohhhh. There is a new archive? I missed that and my current game is based on the old one with the latest installer. I've been thinking about starting a new game anyway.

That's what I was making last week, but I didn't post the link until just now.
I'll probably end up redoing it anyway before Easter is over.
We've already found and fixed a few bugs again, which I'll be quite happy to not have in the public release.

So consider this one as intermediate test version.
It isn't truly necessary though. Not yet.

Theoretically yes. Specifically what I fixed today, but they're scattered all over the forum.
I wanted to put them together but ran out of time.
Hopefully tomorrow.

All those fixes have now been posted, as promised.

I also finished zipping up a new archive with these included.
If nobody reports any issues before the end of the weekend, that will be the version I upload.

Then I'll need to make an updated EXE installer, but I need my own computer for that so it'll be Monday evening or Tuesday at the earliest.
And then: Public release time.

Here's the final one: http://www.piratesahoy.net/build/b14_beta4_final.cab
As far as I know, this one should be OK. Plus I have no time left to redo yet another time.
So public release will be pretty much as soon as I'm actually near my computer again on Tuesday.
^ Somebody please download and install that with the EXE posted above.
Then check if RESOURCE\Sounds\AMBIENT\c_brothers_long.wav is 0 kb or actually has a proper filesize.

I just did a test myself and everything works perfectly fine.
But NOT any of the files the mod is supposed to put in the SOUNDS folder.
Which is SUPER DUPER ANNOYING! Because why would it work fine except for that?
It just makes no bloody sense!!!

What are the best settings for creating an archive file?
I tried "LZMA Ultra" now, which mostly works. But apparently not for WAV files(???). This is very odd, because I'm pretty sure it should be OK.
Before, I tried "LZMA2" but that resulted in ALL files being empty when extracted.

I think it is some sort of compatibility error between a regular 7-Zip archive and the extraction mechanism in the Installer EXE.
But I can't make sense of it, because I created such archives many times before.
Only difference now is that I am of out necessity using 7-Zip Portable on a different computer.

What else can I try? I really need to get this working before tomorrow! :shock

I just got around to DLing and installing that CAB and there are a bunch of zero byte sound files.

The install that I am playing now is all good tho.

great news so can i download it now and report to you Pieter Boelen or should i wait for later release cuz i started to get confused i'll be glad to do new game install and check for anything missing

great news so can i download it now and report to you Pieter Boelen or should i wait for later release cuz i started to get confused i'll be glad to do new game install and check for anything missing
Don't bother yet. There's something wrong, but I don't understand it. Still trying to fix it though. :modding

Back