• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Captain Python's Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the Honor Roll, CaptJack Sparrow! WTG! (and this means the next round's on you!) (LOL!)

Gilligan's Island, yes, classic television - defines that particular era of comedy on television, too, along with shows like the Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres. What simply amazed me is how MUCH one could get into on such a small uncharted island... I mean... For being uncharted, there sure were a lot of people who knew where it was! And of course not ONE of them would report back to civilization and say, HEY there's this island full of castaways... xD:

Captain Python, it's good to hear you want to get back to your writing - I know it's tough when you hit a dry spell - I've had 'em too, every writer does. Ya just have to learn to roll with it and grab your inspiration where you can find it.

Names... There's a lot to consider when deciding upon a name for your characters... I try to first decide what the character is going to be, what they are going to do - and work up a backstory about them before EVER dropping them into the stream of the story I'm working on. Names come from the back story - such as, is the person of British heritage, Irish, Spanish, Italian, whatever... You can get GREAT name ideas from looking at geneology websites or by doing a "Spanish Surname" search on any search engine.

First names with me also depend upon the character. If they are an authority figure I try to use a strong name. Children get diminuatives, for instance, Thomas becomes Tommy. If they are a scholar, I try to use something a bit more classic - Biblical names are good too...

You have to also consider the era you are writing in - some names are too modern or perhaps were out of fashion during that time...

Sometimes a name depends upon a situation in a story. I once decided that two main characters would meet in a classroom where they were sitting in alphabetical order - so their last names had to be close in spelling. Later the situation in the story changed to a different type of meeting, but the names still remained the same - the characters had grown comfortable with them. :p

I know that's not a list of names, BUT... It's something to think about. Hope it helps! :D

You have to also consider the era you are writing in - some names are too modern or perhaps were out of fashion during that time...  

Like Englebert Humperdink - out of fashion before its time. xD:

"...Humperdink.... Humperdink, Humperdink, HUMPERDINK!"

"I TOLD YOU NEVER TO MENTION THAT NAME!!!" :D

Ahhh, but Miracle Max? Now THERE's a name! xD:

1) A New Person to the Honor Role, Maybe  

well thankx, mate!

2)I'm inspired...to Write again  

have you written books before? are they around that i could buy? and i think that you will do great on that new book you say you are writing...i could think of a few names in a little bit.

<span style='`font-size`:25pt;`line-height`:100%'>Topics for `3-20`-04</span>

1)The Funny Pages
I got a good picture for today from the movie Captain Blood:

cb6.jpg

2)Writing
So far, I have gotton good advice from you all here, but I really haven't gotten any good names I could use. Also, I have only tried to write, I have never gotten published. I am sort of ameture, but I have been attempting to write books for `3-4` years now. So keep on posting name ideas and story bit ideas.

Capt. Blood now theres a classic. I should dust off the VCR and watch it again..... xD:

Great still, Captain Python! And a heckuva fun movie.

Ideas for names come from a lot of places... Try the phone book. Go to the library and look at author names. There are also plenty of name origin books too, and probably websites as well. Here are some from a quick Google search:

http://www.behindthename.com/
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~h...rnames/soi.html
http://www.`baby-parenting`.com/baby/baby_namer.html
http://www.babynamesworld.com/

I remember my mother being VERY concerned when I bought a "what to name the baby" book back in high school. xD:

pretty cool...although the flag sticks out a bit, im sure that can be fixed...and if not, oh well its still pretty cool to look at...and what a big ship in the middle!

Arg, he be stealing me Victory from me. But I will get her back. xD:

What a minute, that's the Victory in your Picture? I didn't know, nor can you tell. The portrait is of Erol Flynn in Captain Blood. I am going to fix a couple of things on it, like move the name lower so it isn't cut off.

Topics for `3-21`-04

Hello all, here some stuff for you,

1) Book, Continued
I have been working on a combination outline and small description of the story, and it is turning out nice. The main character becomes a privateer during the 2nd Dutch Anglo War, against the Dutch. He deals with everything, from mutiny to storms. More will come.

2) Jeff Foxworthy
Tonight at 10/9 Central, on Comedy Central, a new special on Jeff Foxworthy will be on. You should watch. I hope you guys have enjoyed redneck weekend so far.

I think I'll be watching Comedy Central tonight. xD:

<span style='`font-size`:25pt;`line-height`:100%'>Topics for `3-24`-04</span>

Hello all, it's been a while since I have posted

1) The Aluminum Beer Can
You might be a redneck if you have more than two brothers named Bubba or Junior.

2) The Jokester's Fake Can of Peanuts
Yo' mama's breath is so nasty, when she burps her teeth have to duck.

3) The Funny Pages
Today, I give you a picture from the one Monty Python movie that isn't on Special Edition DVD, The Life of Brian:

12.jpg

This is the group that couldn't hear Jesus's teachings. It's amazing how people can make fun of the crusifiction, after finding out how bad it is through the movie, the Passion of the Christ.

3) April Fools is Coming
Remember people that April 1st is coming in about a week. For those who go to school, April 1st falls on a school day. So get your pranks ready, I know I am.

4) Story Progress...
Still working on the story. Ever since the 2nd Anglo Dutch war ended, the main character has become a pirate against Spain.

5) Book Reviews
I am starting work on the review for Ship of the Line, so expect even less action from me in posting. Ship of the Line from C.S. Forester is such a good book. But Ship of the Line is incomplete without Flying Colours.

Ahhh, April Fool's day... I pulled a real good one on one of my favorite high school teachers - I'd heard he'd declared NO ONE would fool him that day and so I avoided him for most of the day and then when I finally saw him I put on this really sad face and told him that I missed out on a scholarship and wouldn't be able to attend college (his old university, btw!) after all. I just made like I was really sad and let him get concerned for me... I left him with that thought and went to a class, then came back later and acted all glum... THEN I grinned and said APRIL FOOL reallly softly so no one else could hear, and he about busted a gut laughing that I'd gotten him when no one else could. xD:

He was a great guy. I often wonder how he's doing, these days. Probably running a school as a superintendant by now. :cheers

A funny story, a friend of mine tryed to prank me on March 31st. I went along with it and actually let him prank me. I told him it wasn't April 1st, and laughed my @$$ off. He was so angry. He thought March only had 30 days.

Ha that would be a good one to play on someone on April 1, just keep telling them it's not April 1 so they can't fool ya... Ya get'em to believe ya and then say APRIL FOOL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back