• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Cleaning Up the Advanced Options

Hawat on the ModDB wrote:
The advanced options that I don't think are needed are those that don't seem to affect gameplay much but are more like cheat like player starting level/money/wealth, the brothel, lock open setting then the gfx options that probably don't affect most players now like particles and effects.
Also being able to change spyglass back to realistic in arcade game mode and being able to make it unmoded in realistic game mode would be nice.
So does anyone have any further/final thoughts on what we'll do. And what exactly SHOULD be the difference between Realistic and Arcade Game Mode?
A way to toggle that spyglass would be great.
In my opinion the hardly modifiable differences between realism and arcade should be just how the ships handle. After that to make the game simpler for people wont don't want to look into the options much, like we said earlier, each mode could have different options on or off but that should remain customizable.

Any opinion is a valid one, in my book. Unless they're stupid, but I'm certain yours aren't. :razz
LOL! :rofl

I'll be sure to keep chipping in when I see fit, certainly if there's something I disagree with.
But for now, the discussion sure seems to have turned around since some actual players made their views clear.
I was especially surprised to see people asking us NOT to remove so many options, which seems to prove the options' value in the game.

I'm a bit reluctant to post here again, but will try. The rains finally ended and the sun has come out, and with it the allergies. It is hard to read because of blurry vision and misunderstanding can happen. Plus I wuz Highly Pistoff about that Battle for Bridgetown abortion and the game dying right after. :rumgone

So, in general terms PotC should move more towards the realistic mode. All arcade mode really needs is the arcade sailing. Everything else can use realistic settings. If Ironman mode has no world map it should have some form of crude compass right from the start. Otherwise all is lost. :j1 Realistic mode should be the bread and butter of this game. This is what POTC does best. I'll take POTC sailing and water over COAS in a heartbeat. :keith

Personally, half of the options are not needed, but some that I do use like POV and chance of surrender should be adjustable. I try to set it so that they won't surrender until their ship is about to sink anyway. there is enough randomness in game so that sometimes they will not surrender and sometimes they surrender too soon.

Lessee, what else is there? Brothel on, skill bonus down, etc.

see, that's one thing i'm somewhat alarmed about with iron man. the world map needs to be used to circumvent a few quest bugs and the like. and as i said before, we might as well remove part of the compass mod if you always have one anyway. personally, i'd appreciate the challenge of navving without a compass. buy a few maps, compare the coastline, and set sail by dead reckoning. it's really not that hard. there's more than enough ways to make some money for those charts if you're creative enough. steal someone's wallet, loot a house, go out in the jungle and kill someone, do a dungeon crawl of possible, or hell, TRADE for all i care, but it's really not impossible. do a bit more work than that and you could buy a compass right off the bat. it's really just idiotproofing there.

Quests should work with DirectSail as well. Theoretically at least.

i've tried, and there's a few rare exceptions, i think. i do remember that movie clips can now be played in directsail if i'm not mistaken, but i'm not sure if it sends you to the worldmap afterwards or not. besides that, i know iron man is meant to make things hard, but there's no way of getting out of trouble if you're dismasted in the middle of the ocean or stuck in a hostile port with the risk of being recognised at sea being too high. unless there's a world map to escape to. so is iron man going to be that realistically hard, or not? of course, removing the worldmap would force the player to consider bad luck like that and make him prepare for such things.

so it might work, in theory. but i'm pretty sure there's going to be a few problems to iron out. no pun intended.

After playing movie clips in DirectSail, you're not reloaded to the worldmap but remain in DirectSail mode.

Iron Man mode is something that the player would need to deliberately enable.
Your potential issues are valid, of course, but they'd be issues that real life could put on real sailors as well.

yes, exactly. like i said, it might be better to force the player to adapt in this case. it's called iron man for a reason.

After playing movie clips in DirectSail, you're not reloaded to the worldmap but remain in DirectSail mode.

What about triggering movie clips - eg after capture by Beckett - can you direct sail away and still get the storm & transported to Davy Jones -- or do you still have to go to world map to trigger this?

Ok - here we go - please remember these are personal opinions which you may agree or disagree with.

First of all I should say that I play in Arcade mode. I play the game as a game about the Caribbean during the days of Bucaneers & Pirates. I like walking arround the towns and sailing round the coastlines exploring but I don't always have the time to spend playing the game that way so I don't use the Realistic mode.

I also mostly play the storylines as I like the structure they give the game, but do occasionally do freeplay.

I do not play the game as a Sailing simulator, or a war game ( fighting battles between fleets of warships ), or a trading game. Though I know there are many players who do. ( I do however, enjoy smuggling ). xD:

As I have said before people play the game in many ways, and for many reasons, it is one of the Mod's great strengths that it allows this.

As a general principle I am not keen on attaching some of the choices available in the Advanced Options to the Arcade or Realistic modes.

These are the Advanced options that I change when I start the game ( ie the ones most important to me & I would not want to loose)

int NO_THEFT = 0;
// You can now pick pockets. But this is risky, and other thieves may pick YOUR pocket too.
// 0 - 60 : The higher this value the safer you are from pickpockets
// Above 30 nobody picks YOUR pocket, above 60 you yourself get no chance to steal
How about we remove this?

int LOCK_OPEN = 0;
// 0- 70: the higher this value the higher your chance of picking the locks of treasurechests
// Above 66 chests always open, above 33 you won't hurt yourself anymore ;-)
How about we remove this?

No Theft - I used to play with this set at 35 when I first started playing the game ( as I think Morgan Terror said it can get in the way of quests ) - and early on in the game it can be frustrating - but recently I have started to play with lhe level set lower and find it adds to the atmosphere in the towns - especially if you are doing freeplay and not following a quest.

Lock Open - Again I used to play with this set at about 35-40 when I first started playing the game - but now play at arround 20-25 now that I am more used to the game. For same reasons as above.

int DISPLAY_TIME = 1;
// Show a clock in the upper part of the screen. Requires DISPLAY_DATE=true.
// 0: Never show the clock
// 1: Only if you have a clock equipped
// 2: Always show the clock
Always show time in Arcade Game Mode and only with a clock equipped in Realistic Game Mode?

bool DISPLAY_BATTLEINTERFACE = false;
// Show the BattleInterface compass/chart display
// 0: Only if you have a compass equipped
// 1: Depending on the settings in the options menu
Same as above.

bool DISPLAY_MAP_POSITION = false;
// Display the position of your ship on the Map Interface
// 0: Only if you have a Sextant and a Chronometer
// 1: Always display your ship's position
Same as above.

I think these 3 should be left as they are - otherwise you are making Arcade mode too simple.

int DEATHRATE = 1;
// Chance of dying(= game over) after shipwrecks and lost fights
// Choose a value between 1(certain survival) and 130(certain death)
// After survival you will be down and out, so it is a new challenge and no cheat!
We should probably keep this, but it seems a bit complicated to me. Maybe make it into an InternalSettings.h setting?
Do we agree that 1 is the best default setting and you will always survive?

I have been playing with this set at 40 - since I do like to actually die occasionally. And this way I don't have to choose between continuing the game having lost stuff or going back to a save. - I die & the choice is made for me. xD:

The above are the only settings that I change when I start the game. - Don't I have it easy. :rofl

Of the other proposed changes:-

bool ENABLE_FLAGS = true;
// 0: Stock PotC, no flagchanges
// 1: You can choose your flag in a menu; even false ones(which may or may not be recognized)
Since you don't HAVE to use fake flags and can just fly your personal flag all throughout the game, I don't see any need for this toggle.
Stock game mode was basically similar as playing through the game with your personal flag.

I disagree with the comment on this one - You do have to use a fake flag if you want to get past Pirates without them recognising you since they are always start out hostile to everyone ( including your personal flag ) at the beginning of the game . Also have to use Fake Flag to get into a Port if that Nation is hostile to you.

bool VISIT_DECK = true;
// 0: Stock PotC: When anchoring, you go directly to shore; also you go directly to sea when leaving port or bay.
// 1: When anchoring, you go to your ship's deck. From there you can go to shore in the same way as in the tutorial.
// When leaving land you'll also go to your ship's deck, unless you select 'Sea' command.
Probably keep this setting, unless we want to have it linked to Arcade/Realistic Game Mode again.
Actually, though I was the one to start work on this mod, I don't think there's much point in it and might as well be off by default.
The idea was that your officers would come to talk to you on deck about important stuff with the proposed Officer Personality Mod,
but no work was ever done on that and probably won't be done either any time soon because it's a complicated new thing to add.

Does VIST DECK create the choice of Moor - Port/Shore that you have when you arrive at a Port-Beach? And Going to Ships deck before you set sail.

If yes then I want to keep this. I like being able to walk arround my ship before going ashore, or setting sail, either looting the ship to get some items to sell if I need the cash, or going to the Captains Cabin to get stuff I may need ashore from the chests. I also upgrade officers and check their equipment onboard ship since I know i won't get interupted by an NPC.

bool AUTOHIRECREW_ONCHANGESHIP = true;
// 1: Automatically hire extra crew when repairing your ship or buying a new one at shipyard
// 0: Off, stock PotC
Might be able to remove this, since it does save you some additional clicking. Alternatively, keep this.

Autohirecrew - I don't change this at the moment but I think I am going to in future. Since I don't like the fact that whenever I enter a shipyard to see if they have any good ships for sale I end up automatically getting my crew topped up even if all I do is look at the ships available - annoying if I don't want or can't afford the additional crew pay. I prefer to hire crew in the tavern.

bool ENABLE_BROTHEL = false;
// 0: Stock PotC: no brothel in QC
// 1: Brothel location opened; a bit explicit, but in WORDS only
For the sake of the storylines using the brothels, could we remove this option or at least turn it on by default?
The dialogs have been toned down from what they were.

I think only 2 storylines at the moment use the brothel - Jack Sparrow & Assassin - Jack Sparrow works if Brothel is On or Off I think - but Assassin definitely needs it On.

int REDUCE_CR = 0;
// Reduce number of coastal ship groups by 1 or 2
// Helps if you encounter performance problems
// 0: No reduction - 3 groups on all islands (6 ships total)
// 1: Reduce by one group - 2 groups on all islands (4 ships total)
// 2: Reduce by two groups - 1 group on all islands (2 ships total)
Performance problems because of the coastal ships? I don't buy it. Lose this setting!

Just a question on this - if the default is 6 ships & all islands have 6 - why do I only get 4 ships at Turks? Is Turks set up differently?

OTHERS:-

bool CHANGING_RELATIONS --- Keep for freeplay

bool AUTO_SKILL_SYSTEM ----- Check if old system works - people might like to allocate their skills manually.

bool ENABLE_WEAPONSMOD --- I like the different weapons quality - (just don't like the fact that merchants sell the low qualities making too many weapons to scroll through ) the weapons mod does need looking at, who sells what quality of weapon, among other things.

int WDMAP_SHIP_SHOW_MODE - & int SAILHO_INFOLEVEL --- I don't like the idea of linking these to Arcade/Realistic mode

float COASTRAIDER_CHANCE --- depends on how you like to play the game

bool UPDATE_AI_ON_SEA --- Agree remove toggle

bool WEATHER_UPDATE_AT_SEA --- I want to keep weather changes in Arcade mode

bool SHIPCLASS_DEPENDS_ON_SKILLS = true;
// 0: Stock PotC: Character can command any class of ship
// 1: When player takes command of ship of too high class Leadership and Sailing skills drops

The -- Stock PotC: Character can command any class of ship - text is missing on the screen for this toggle

bool USE_REAL_CANNONS & bool EXTRA_HIT_CHECK --- I don't want these turned off in Arcade mode.

string BOARDERMODEL = "standard";
// Outfit for your boarders, insert one of these groups (Don't change spelling or the "" !):
// "marine", "corsair", "masked", "skeleton", "girl", "soldier" (soldiers of current flag),
// "boarder" (Nathaniel's soldiers); default: "standard"
I don't think this works very well. Would be nice if we could recode this quite a bit and be able to switch boarder models by talking to your officers/crew on your ship instead.

Doesn't this cause CTD or game to freeze on boardings - if that is the case perhaps best to remove till fixed - though I know that people who play as Military officers like having their crew in uniforms for boardings- so I don't know what to do . :shrug

bool KB_TUNESHIPS ---- agreed remove the toggle

bool BLADEDAMAGE_ENABLED --- agreed link to ENABLE_WEAPONSMOD

bool PORT_FASTTRAVEL_MOD --- agreed remove the toggle

bool REAL_CARIBBEAN ---- Remove - who would want the original islands using the madeup fictional names appearing alongside the new islands with the correct names.

Hope you find this useful :doff

I agree with most of what talisman said except for the blade damage toggle, I like the weaponsmod for different weapons quality but I usually don't play with the bladedamage on.

What about triggering movie clips - eg after capture by Beckett - can you direct sail away and still get the storm & transported to Davy Jones -- or do you still have to go to world map to trigger this?
Yep I think its a set time and the movie clip starts :onya

I disagree with the comment on this one - You do have to use a fake flag if you want to get past Pirates without them recognising you since they are always start out hostile to everyone ( including your personal flag ) at the beginning of the game . Also have to use Fake Flag to get into a Port if that Nation is hostile to you.
The same applied in the stock game though, didn't it?

Does VIST DECK create the choice of Moor - Port/Shore that you have when you arrive at a Port-Beach? And Going to Ships deck before you set sail.
If yes then I want to keep this. I like being able to walk arround my ship before going ashore, or setting sail, either looting the ship to get some items to sell if I need the cash, or going to the Captains Cabin to get stuff I may need ashore from the chests. I also upgrade officers and check their equipment onboard ship since I know i won't get interupted by an NPC.
That's indeed what the toggle enables/disables. I wasn't intending to remove that toggle altogether, because I do like it.
I'm actually surprised by how many people apparently do like this, even though the gameplay value it was supposed to get eventually didn't get coded yet and probably won't do for a long, long time.
Anyway, I suppose your and Captain Maggee's comments are a nice excuse to keep the setting and have it on by defauly. :wp

Autohirecrew - I don't change this at the moment but I think I am going to in future. Since I don't like the fact that whenever I enter a shipyard to see if they have any good ships for sale I end up automatically getting my crew topped up even if all I do is look at the ships available - annoying if I don't want or can't afford the additional crew pay. I prefer to hire crew in the tavern.
It already auto-hires when you OPEN the shipyard interface? Would be nice to have that changed so it only happens if you actually click Repair or buy a new ship. Right?

I think only 2 storylines at the moment use the brothel - Jack Sparrow & Assassin - Jack Sparrow works if Brothel is On or Off I think - but Assassin definitely needs it On.
True. I wonder if there's any harm in having this mod on by default now though...

Just a question on this - if the default is 6 ships & all islands have 6 - why do I only get 4 ships at Turks? Is Turks set up differently?
There's some code in place to put two less ships around pirate islands. Not sure why, but it is there. We could remove it if we wanted.

int WDMAP_SHIP_SHOW_MODE - & int SAILHO_INFOLEVEL --- I don't like the idea of linking these to Arcade/Realistic mode
What about linking them together at least? So that if you can't tell the ship nationality on the worldmap, the Sail Ho screen automatically won't tell you either?

float COASTRAIDER_CHANCE --- depends on how you like to play the game
I wonder if there's anyone who'd ever change this one.

bool WEATHER_UPDATE_AT_SEA --- I want to keep weather changes in Arcade mode
Our idea was to remove the toggle and always have changing weather, also in Arcade Game Mode.
Why would players NOT want it? Especially since it is no longer fully random.

i usually turn the option to go to your shipdeck when porting off, since it saves me a loading screen. however, when turned off, you do go to your shipdeck first when leaving port, and i like it that way.

some of the boardermodels still work properly, but i'm unsure which ones they are. it's really just a matter of getting lucky.

one thing i'm worried about, concerning the limitations on fast travel, is that sometimes you run out of RL time sailing to another island (or the game crashed on your first attempt) and you just want to do it the easy way this time out of annoyance. that wouldn't be possible anymore. being able to save at sea solves it somewhat, but doing that is a little dodgy in my experience.

The same applied in the stock game though, didn't it?

Agreed - loose toggle and have it set as ENABLE_FLAGS = true all the time.

It already auto-hires when you OPEN the shipyard interface? Would be nice to have that changed so it only happens if you actually click Repair or buy a new ship. Right?

Yes - when you open the screen and just look at the ships available the crew are hired.

FIRST TEST VERSION AVAILABLE!

See attached; extract on top of your Patch 6 main game folder, overwriting everything.
Make sure to keep a copy of your original PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI folders in case you want to return to the Patch 6 situation.

I removed a bunch of options that most people consider unimportant and moved some of the more complex ones that most people probably wouldn't touch into PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h .
What is left in Options>Advanced Options, I have reordered and categorized into something I hope makes sense.

Everybody here please download and test this and let me know if there is any settings not in there that you really do want or if the ordering/categorization needs improving, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried to get Arcade and Realistic Game Mode to have different default settings, but still allow players to override them.
However, I didn't manage to do that just yet. And is it a good idea in the first place?
Alternatively, we could just decide to forget about that one and have all mods on and realistic by default (except Iron Man Mode).
Then if players want full Arcade, they'll just have to manually set the game mode and switch all the realistic game mods off.
After all, we don't REALLY want to encourage players from turning stuff off, do we? :cheeky

Probably, yes. Also remove the "options" file from your main game folder to prevent empty lines in the Advanced Options menu.

Wow! All of that howling and gnashing of the teeth and you hardly changed anything at all. My biggest problem came when the controls reverted to that gawdawful goofy setup and I had to do it all over again.

I'm glad you feel like nothing much changed. I just did a quick count and it seems I deleted 19 settings from BuildingSettings.h and moved an additional 13 into InternalSettings.h .
That's a total of 32 settings that are no longer in the Advanced Options menu. If that seems like hardly anything, I'll consider that a success. :cheeky

My biggest problem came when the controls reverted to that gawdawful goofy setup and I had to do it all over again.
If you've got any good ideas on redoing the Build default controls, please let me know.
The current controls came to be in a rather evolutionary way, so we could do with a bit of a revolution there as well to have things more sensible and user-friendly.

Back