• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Fix for the Fast Galleon

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
Remember the problems this ship gave us a few months ago? A nasty bow wave and misaligned masts, along with two missing cannon locators?

Well, to cut a long story short, I've come back to this ship and this time managed to fix her up good and proper. :dance
The cannon locators are in place, and more importantly, the bow wave has been tamed. I literally took a chunk out of that protruding bow section and made it a separate model attached via a locator.
You can see the results below:
FastGalleon1_bow_fix.jpg

In addition, she has some cosmetic changes carried over from my last attempt, including a better capstan and belfry, and a lifeboat.
I also removed the ship's wheel for the sake of historical accuracy (just pretend there's a tiller below deck ;)). Plus a few holes patched up and wonky UVs sorted out, and the hull has nice smooth edges.

The fix is available as "FastGalleon1_fix.7z" from my SkyDrive folder here.
Simply copy/rename the files for other versions of the ship, and don't forget to change the ships_init entry from 36 guns to 38 guns. This applies to both PotC and CoAS.

Thank you! :bow

This ship or something very like it has been a Spanish galleon for me since the late 1950s-early 1960s. Bad memory. I have seen models and paintings of that ship many times over the decades in a Spanish context. Now to get to work on her.

Oh, is there any chance of getting rid of that critter on the bow?

Not seeing a steering mechanism on deck would have been accurate. A vessel like that would have used a whipstaff.
Could you also lower the corners of that mizzen tops'l to the yard below it? That's the one thing that's really bugging me. Otherwise, it looks very good.

Aye aye! :dance

That ship still has all of the original rigging on it from years ago. That Mizzen sail will be only one one of many many things that will be changed.

Ideally, we could replace all of the rigging in the future, or even use another vessel's. It's a sharp contrast to the nice looking hull.

Oh, is there any chance of getting rid of that critter on the bow?
Indeed there is. In fact, the separated bow section now means we can have different figureheads for each variant. ;)
What should replace it, though? (Bearing in mind I'd be useless at modelling a new figurehead.)

Not seeing a steering mechanism on deck would have been accurate. A vessel like that would have used a whipstaff.
I thought that might be the case, much like the Revenge. It makes things simpler either way.

Is anything at all needed?

EDIT 5 hrs later: I got the fastgalleon1 into POTC and took care of some mast misalignment, and then noticed that there is some texture mismatch between the hull and the masts. As near as I can figure it is some sort of blinn thing. There is no reverse lighting bug. Could you look at that Armada? :oops:
fastgalleon-1.jpg

I think it's just a UV mismatch the model has had for ages. Should be easy to fix.

Umm, I've been looking around in GOF2 and found this ship. Craiggo has done some good work on it but never finished it. I would like to add his changes. Sooo......
Forget about getting rid of that critter. Craiggo made 3 hulls that have it repainted. I haven't looked at them in game yet but they have to be better than the old hull.
What would it take to remove the low rez cannons? I could not do it in TOOL. I ask because Craiggo made a Part1 including better cannons, but they do not cover up the old ones. Going either way works but I need to know which way to go.
Sorry for adding to your workload. :rolleyes:

Hmm... the old cannons could either be hidden by making part of the hull texture transparent, or by deleting them in Maya.
By the sound of things, I reckon it would be neater to do the latter and combine Craiggo's work in a single file.
Could you upload his modifications so I can take a look?

I'm kinda used to projects snowballing like this... :whipa

Thanks. It looks like that Part1 file is the kind that would cause frame rate drops, because of the way it was made using TOOL.
It probably has reverse lighting too, so putting it through Maya will definitely help.

Removing the figurehead shouldn't mess up the textures if it's physically removed in Maya. If the texture were changed to hide it instead, then it would make a difference.

All of that sounds good. Craiggo is better at this than I am but he never really got Maya working for him.

Right, fix number two is now live! FastGalleon1_Fix2.7z

FastGalleon1_new.jpg

FastGalleon1_new2.jpg

It incorporates all of Craiggo's extra details, with correct lighting etc, but I've also fixed the mast UVs, removed two of the crow's nests, and added supports under the catheads.
There was also a slight mistake with the previous version, where part of the forecastle had been distorted, but this has been fixed.
In addition, I've included an alternative bow without the figurehead (named FastGalleon2_bow.gm), and an improved path model.

It has got a bit busier around here lately, hasn't it?
There's no immediate rush to get the rigging tidied up, but I know Pieter will be back soon...

Would it be very time consuming to replace the rigging with a different vessel's? The proportions are way off. I like what you've done to the hull, but the quality of the rigging doesn't quite match.

I guess that's up to Hylie. I agree the rigging seriously needs improving; which ship do you think would be a good reference to work from?

I'm not sure... I don't usually use ships from that period. I can tell you that the tops'ls should be much taller in relation to the other sails, and that the t'gallants should be smaller. I'd go look ingame, but my current install is broken at the moment.

I just took a look at the new masts and the Tops'ls can be raised a bunch as well as the mains'ls. The limit is the shape of the masts themselves. I could also put smaller t'gallant yards up there to make them look smaller. Possibly the yards from the Revenge would fit. Or the NL_Pinnace. The masts on the Apostol Felipe have similar dimensions, so they may be period correct. Decisions decisions. :nerbz

Back