• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

Post Captain, you are beginning to walk in the footsteps of the late Larry The Great of Virtual Sailor fame! :shock

1) Methinks that gunport will be last opened and first closed.

2) A threat to have one assigned to that gun would be an effective way to improve performance. :whipa

Just to clarify...
Frigate1_new24.jpg
There is plenty of clearance. :p
I do feel sorry for that poor dragon-thing, though.

There is plenty of clearance. :p
I do feel sorry for that poor dragon-thing, though.

Maybe if there's a lot of wind right aft? At any rate, I think it would be the humane thing to do to give the dragon a protective hat or poncho of some sort.

whats funny is...
the curtains are not there any more, i can see right through the (yukky) dirty windows.
do some parts of the cabin dissapear from the outside?
Or is the "outside camera" ship not exactly the same as the "onboard camera" one?

The details around and below the windows are nice. not too much, but still making clear that the nation this vessel belongs to is important and rich.

I like, very much so, the Lamp (transparency!), The shrouds attachment things above the cannon (nice and round, texture has 3D effect to it) the Rudder and the Beige/yellow color.
Not so much i like the very strong red on the inside of the lower deck, it gives me the impression the inside WAS indeed painted red. the upper deck is more brownish/beige...
The Black on the outside... if i could chose i would throw in a bit of dark blue if i could. Why,,, i do not know.
Just gut feeling, subjective opinion.

Starting to get the itch... i want to create stuff like that too!

Polygons are only visible from one side; you have to put two polygons in place to make anything double-sided.
I imagine Armada used single-sided ones for the curtains on purpose, which seems like a good idea to me.
Less polygons = less frame-rate drop. And you can actually look into the cabin from outside instead of having a curtain obstructing the view.

whats funny is...
the curtains are not there any more, i can see right through the (yukky) dirty windows.
do some parts of the cabin dissapear from the outside?
Or is the "outside camera" ship not exactly the same as the "onboard camera" one?
Actually, that's just an earlier screenshot I took from another post, to disprove the alleged toilet issue. :wp
The curtains can indeed be seen from the exterior. They both started off as a cube with many divisions, and I basically flattened it and moved the edges around.
What they add to the overall poly count is negligible.

Starting to get the itch... i want to create stuff like that too!
That's how I felt when Pgargon was on a modelling spree some time ago. His ability to churn out new models so quickly, and to a high standard, partly inspired me to start experimenting with Maya. :D

Actually, that's just an earlier screenshot I took from another post, to disprove the alleged toilet issue. :wp
The curtains can indeed be seen from the exterior. They both started off as a cube with many divisions, and I basically flattened it and moved the edges around.
What they add to the overall poly count is negligible.
Do you have a screenshot showing the curtains from the outside? I thought it was a pretty good idea to not have them displaying there. :facepalm

Well, only the starboard one covers the windows, and all you can see of that is a green blur. The port side is completely open as in the screenshot above.
Plus, if you look at the other screenshot showing the stern exterior from the same post I quoted from, you can still see the cabin quite clearly from the stern gallery.

I'll get some screenshots when I have the next update ready.

No worries. I was just thinking that on the starboard side, I would much rather be able to see inside than to see the green blur from the curtain.
So making that curtain single-sided would have that effect and save about... 10 polygons? But whatever you end up doing, will be excellent anyway. :onya

See, this is a classic example of the "alphachannel for prez" proposition i made elsewhere.
Think about that curtain.
How many triangles is it now...?
It could be two triangles...
and the texture applied to the triangles has an aphla (opla oop :p ) channel outlined in Red.

curtain.jpg

as i have learned now...to have the curtains effective from the outside (double faced polygones), you double that stuff (+mirroring)
Or, as a FEATURE, leave them only visible from the inside, even if that blocks the View "through-n-through"... because of the second, opposite curtain.
That way you can look inside from the outside.

the overall polycount is brought down. by a ridiculous 0.000002%
but it is brought down.

the curtain looks flat... because it mostly is.
but would a properly high rezzz texture not be able to hide this fact?

Okay, i start to get on your nerves... "hat, coat, door" ?
:)

OK, here are some statistics for you:
As it stands, the entire ship has approximately 88,000 triangles.
- Around 17,000 of these are from the masts and yards
- Around 42,000 belong to the guns alone, because I'm using the high-quality ones
- The rest (around 29,000) consists of the hull and all interior details combined
- All that remains of the stock frigate hull is 545 triangles (yet they've almost all been modified)
- Each curtain contains 54 triangles. That's nearly 0.002% of the hull total, and a whooping 0.0006% of the grand total. In other words, the tris they add are negligible.

Sure, I could have made them basic one-sided planes with only 2 triangles, but the reality is, I don't need to. The performance gain from doing so would be literally non-existent.
Now, if I were making a 100-gun ship-of-the-line to the same standard, then it would be a different story; such shortcuts probably would be required.
For this comparatively tiny frigate, though? There's no point sacrificing the quality. :cheeky

Good to hear. :doff
I'm not too keen on the idea of "I'm making a new model, here's some pretty pics" without any explanation of the thought behind it. There's so much more to the project than the screenshots, after all.

I'm not too keen on the idea of "I'm making a new model, here's some pretty pics" without any explanation of the thought behind it. There's so much more to the project than the screenshots, after all.
And it's definitely interesting to everyone bothering to read! :woot

Back