• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

Good point about the stairs. when a hundred men are rushing to work...

http://s780.beta.photobucket.com/user/Alexander_Ah/media/Ships/IMG_1410.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6
this picture is EXACTLY what i had in mind.

http://s780.beta.photobucket.com/user/Alexander_Ah/media/Ships/IMG_1408.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8
"cathead" lol...some of the ship terms are really selfexplaining.:)
...sometimes at least.

excellent pictures!

a barrel or two, a box, a cage full of chickens à la " Surprise"... a roll of rope... why not. The mind is the limit.

Can I get a screenshot of boats and ship from directly above? It's hard to determine where the lashing should be made off from that angle. It's either going to be a ring bolt on deck or on the framework.
Sure. How's this? You can see the boats' width much more clearly, at least.

Frigate1_new49.jpg

As for barrels and objects on deck, I guess some could be added, though to a certain extent, some things might be considered unnecessary clutter.
I'm not sure exactly what would be useful to have on deck, and the best places for it.

It looks to me like the best place to run the lines would be to eye or ring bolts on the deck at a small angle out from the boats. I just completed a 3d reference using a box and a ship model I'm working on. I also included one using life-sized line without a boat. There are a few possible methods that might have been used, but the one I used is my personal favorite. The ends of the line would have been trimmed to fit the lashing.

http://s780.beta.photobucket.com/user/Alexander_Ah/library/Ships?

god that looks good:) I don't think you should have boxes and barrels on the deck, the Rossiya is a warlike frigate, not some sloppy little merchant tub. Any good navy captain wouldn't allow such clutter on his deck for long.

Post Captain: Thanks, that should be helpful enough. The lashing will be a little more complex to reproduce, but I'll see what I can do.
Nice hull you're working on, by the way. I know hand carving is difficult but rewarding if you can do it well. A few years ago I made an extremely basic model tall ship for a Design Technology project at school, and chose to hand carve the hull because the teacher had already taught me some techniques for a previous project. And that was before I joined PA or had any real knowledge of tall ship anatomy.
The result was quite good, but these days I look back at it and find a million things wrong with it. :rolleyes:

Captain Armstrong: Thanks mate! Remember Kris made the boats, of course. :wp

On a man of war, that would have been seen as unseamanlike clutter, and it would have been dangerous, too. In my own experience, the less stuff that is in the way, the faster you can work your ship. There would have been a barrel or two full of drinking water on the gun deck, though. I'll have to look for some information regarding placement tomorrow.

Thanks. The model came semi pre-formed, but I am having to carve and sand a little. I'm taking a very, very long break since I just finished building my Memling fiddle. Between that and Pilgrim's hull, I must have spent at least three hundred hours sanding last year, and I am utterly sick of it.

How does this look for the boat lashings?

Frigate1_new50.jpg

There aren't any actual knots; they're still faked. ;) Amazing what you can do with triangular prisms and a pentagonal cylinder.

It still gives the impression of a knot, so I'd say that is Mission Accomplished. :doff

Yep. Unless you're standing right next to it, it still looks like a rolling hitch.

Here's an update showing the anchor lashings, along with adjustments for the cathead. You can also see the repainted deadeyes.

Frigate1_new51.jpg

I've also added two companionways for the main hatch, though their positioning was mainly guesswork based on the space provided.

Frigate1_new52.jpg

A few things:

1. The boat lashing should probably be made to metal eye bolt on deck, like the ones circled in red (the lower circles, not the line).I was on my phone, so I didn't see that part in detail.
144-1.jpg

2. I would expect the aftermost anchor lashing to be made to where the deadeye meets the channel. That would be a much more economical use of line.

3. The positioning on the companionways looks good, but they should both be aligned like the one on the right in the picture. They would have made them to fit over the hatch directly below, and they would both be the same size. If that doesn't work, you could probably get away with just one.

Thomas: Long time no see! Glad you like the ship. :cheers

Post Captain: OK, that's all easily changed. Shouldn't take long...

EDIT: Would the companionways be made to fit side by side over the lower hatch, either side of the support beam?
Or would the lower hatch be split into two smaller ones, and the companionways positioned at each end of the main hatch?

If you can fit the lower hatch in between the two companionways, that would probably be the easiest way to do it.

Moved the aftermost anchor lashing, added eye bolts for the boat lashings, and repositioned the companionways (hopefully correctly):

Frigate1_new53.jpg

Frigate1_new54.jpg

Perfect! You could also tuck a barrel holding daily "drinking water*" in on the gun deck somewhere where there is space. Possibly just forward of the lower hatch under the main hath, favoring the starboard side next to the companionway.

*Of a dubious color and odor.

Oh, I also forgot to mention this:

The hooks on the cathead blocks should be moused like this:
images

That's to stop the anchor ring from slipping out of the hook.
It would look like this, with the same proportions.
IMG_1413.jpg
Again, the ends should be measured to fit the lashing, and not hanging. You'll still be able to find all the other pictures of that in the links I posted above.

Back