• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

Been quite busy these past few days, so haven't had much chance to work on the model.
I've nearly finished all the shrouds and still have to finish off the fighting tops and cut some mast stumps, but that's about all that's left before exporting to GM.

About those hook lines: I'll just use some triangular prisms to represent them. They're so tiny, I doubt many players would even notice them in-game. xD

Here we go again. Are you expecting an outbreak of diarrhoea, or something? :rolleyes:

So anyway... I've finally completed the masts! All shrouds added and fighting tops improved.

Frigate1_new55.5.jpg

Frigate1_new55.jpg

Smaller details I've also added include a barrel on the gun deck (which fills a gap nicely)...

Frigate1_new57.jpg

... and some 'seats of ease'. :razz

Frigate1_new56.jpg

All I had left in mind were maybe a couple of lanterns for the gun deck, for a little extra lighting in CoAS. Exactly where they should go, I'm not sure.
Other than that and the mast stumps, I can't think of anything else to add. The exciting part is almost upon us! :dance

It looks good. The only "off" thing I notice is in the third screenshot, where the deck meets the bow of the vessel. Would it be possible to add some caulking, of the same material as the deck caulking, around that seam? Same goes for the base of the bowsprit and all the hatch and mast bases. The bowsprit and mast seams should be about half as narrow as the deck seams. I consider it my job to nitpick- it still looks great.

Edit: And the gammoning rope (Tied around the bowsprit and stem) should be the same color as the anchor lashings- un-tarred manilla line.

one thing that pops up...
how does a man get to the last yard?
No shrouds, no way to climb except to do the acrobatic monkey thing...
How did they do it then...?

It is possible, but it's hard to explain:
Here's another: Not much of a breeze, but enough to make three knots, and low seas. Good for sail animations and some sounds.
I hope you enjoy this one, it's a pain in the ass to get all the way up there where there aren't any ratlines. Look right under the royal on the foremast to see what I mean.

Fortunately, you only have to pull any stunts like I did when the uppermost sail is set.

In this case, that wouldn't be necessary. The yards are lowered down to the base of their mast parts when the sails aren't set, so you can step right on from the crosstrees.

I do think that it would be a good idea to put shrouds on the t'gallantmasts though, going up to right above the t'gallant yards. Unless, of course, they are not present on the model.

Dafuq!
you BONKERS?
Its early in the morning here...
i refuse to watch that NOW!
makes me sick, just by looking at the cover image.
AARGH!!!!:shock
Omg...
*pukes*
*faints*

It isn't actually the least bit scary or unnerving after spending enough time working up there. I was actually relaxing and enjoying the view. There are a few people who just can't handle it at sea, and even less people who can't handle it in port. I've been climbing for a long time, and I've never had to utilize my safety harness. In fact, I only know two people who have.

I have no doubt, should i come a cross a ship like that, the hermione or the batavia or whatever there is...
i would have an itch to climb up there, at least to the first Mars platform.

but not before i had breakfast...

Awesome way to answer a question. totally unexpected...
thanks for that!!:thumbs1

She looks amazing! I really like the fighting tops, you are really setting some new standards here.
Thanks mate. I was actually following the standards set by the PotBS ships for things like the tops, albeit a little more poly efficient the way I've done it. ;)

It looks good. The only "off" thing I notice is in the third screenshot, where the deck meets the bow of the vessel. Would it be possible to add some caulking, of the same material as the deck caulking, around that seam? Same goes for the base of the bowsprit and all the hatch and mast bases. The bowsprit and mast seams should be about half as narrow as the deck seams. I consider it my job to nitpick- it still looks great.

Edit: And the gammoning rope (Tied around the bowsprit and stem) should be the same color as the anchor lashings- un-tarred manilla line.
Unless an image isn't showing up for you, surely you meant the fourth screenshot...
Anyway, I agree about the caulking for the deck meeting the bow, as well as the bowsprit base. I'll see what I can do for those, but I'll probably leave the other masts and hatches as they are, for now.

The gammoning rope is coloured as shown on the wooden model, but it's easy to change, at least.

I do think that it would be a good idea to put shrouds on the t'gallantmasts though, going up to right above the t'gallant yards. Unless, of course, they are not present on the model.
I used the wooden model as a reference for this, and the shrouds are not present there.

Slight changes from my previous post now implemented:

Frigate1_new58.jpg

And mast stumps completed:

Frigate1_new59.jpg

I've also made some preparations for GM export, and just need to get the model back into Maya 5.0 to do the honours.
The plan is to get all the components into GM format and run a quick test in-game by borrowing the old frigate's locators and path model.
Once everything is confirmed to work without any issues, I'll refine the locators and make a proper path model.
So, unless there are any major issues remaining, I'm going to start exporting ASAP... :keith

EDIT: Time's up! I've now successfully exported all components to GM format. There were issues to start with, but in the end, all textures showed up correctly, and the relevant parts work in TOOL.

I had to completely redo the glass texture though, since the partial transparency of the old texture doesn't show up properly in GM format (seems anything lower than 70% opacity is rendered transparent).
However, there is a slight problem with the texture according to GM Viewer... more on that tomorrow.

I haven't been able to get on at all today...

I hope you remembered the blocks for the line connected to the tiller.

Did you add a proper toilet pape... oh, never mind.

Back