• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

Just for fun, I've been experimenting with Maya's advanced rendering capabilities and fluid effects, so I thought I'd show you one of the results:

Rossiya_hires_render1.jpeg
This image was generated using Maya's own software rendering technique, and is probably a fair approximation of how it might look when rendered in the UDK.
It took a few minutes to generate, and I think my computer was pushed to its very limits and then some, but what a picture it churned out! :shock

There's a load of stuff I have yet to mess with (they have 'boat locators' to simulate buoyancy!), but at least I can produce some fancy renders for conceptual purposes.

That's what I was thinking, as long as I make it extremely clear that it's not a rendered image from the UDK itself. I can see people getting easily confused otherwise. :facepalm

Could you get some from the captain's cabin and gun deck? That would be really cool for promotional purposes.

That's what I was thinking, as long as I make it extremely clear that it's not a rendered image from the UDK itself. I can see people getting easily confused otherwise. :facepalm
Yes true, maybe it could be used as a banner or something? those often have a touched up or concept-arty look about them

We could make a page showing off our ship models and displaying a render along with ship stats. (Year, armament, crew, etc.)

Could you get some from the captain's cabin and gun deck? That would be really cool for promotional purposes.
I will definitely look into that, yes. The difficult part is getting the lighting to look right, but once I've overcome that, I should be able to get some nice shots.

I've been working on this over the past few days, and have managed to figure out a few more useful things within Maya:
- Cloth physics and wind simulation to realistically shape flags and sails
- Collisions between cloth and meshes (so sails don't animate through rigging, for example)
- Created a basic sky box which works with POTC/AOP sky textures (as a placeholder for renders)

I now think I have a good selection of concept renders for Hearts of Oak promotional purposes. See below and let me know what you think:
Rossiya_hires_render2.jpeg

Rossiya_hires_render3.jpeg

Rossiya_hires_render6.jpeg

Rossiya_hires_render5.jpeg

I should probably mention that the Russian flags are placeholders, as I was actually able to quickly generate those textures within Maya. The sail textures are placeholders taken from Build 14 Beta 2.3.

Unfortunately I still haven't got the lighting right for interior shots, though I'm still working on that.
I'll probably need to model some lanterns to attach to the overhead, otherwise the lighting looks like it's coming from nowhere.

The setting and trim of the sails could use some... Accuratizing? But it looks good. How accurate do you want to make it? It would involve furling and brailing some sails with the wind coming from that direction.

Render looks good, but I would play some more with the lighting. There is something with the shadows that bothers me, but I can't put my finger on it.

The setting and trim of the sails could use some... Accuratizing? But it looks good. How accurate do you want to make it? It would involve furling and brailing some sails with the wind coming from that direction.
Well, the question is, how accurate do we want it to be in the actual game? That's what this concept should ultimately try to portray.
I just used the POTC sail plan for the sake of testing, so if you can give some specifics on which sails should be set, I can try to replicate the layout.

Render looks good, but I would play some more with the lighting. There is something with the shadows that bothers me, but I can't put my finger on it.
Could you try to be more specific? There are loads of things I can change.

I´d adjust the lightning, it doesn´t match the skybox (dusk/dawn setting, but the ship´s lit like it´s noon).
Add a reddish/yellow tint and you should be fine :)

I think that the scene needs a little more ambient lighting. Some parts are too dark because I think you only used 1 directional light.

OK, thanks for the tips mates. I'll see what I can do. :read

The sails shouldn't be too hard to get set right on that point of sail. I'll give you all the pertinent information tomorrow morning (pst) when I switch back from my phone to my computer. I have the bad habit of shutting my computer off for the night before I'm actually done with it.

Instructions for running downwind on the Rossiya in that screenshot, drafted on the twenty-ninth instance of... oh, never mind:

1. Brail up your main course. It should look like this:
The mains'l should match the mains'l in the video, coming into view near the very end.
2. Loosen the sheets on the main t'gallant a bit. (The lines on each bottom corner)
3. Douse all main stays'ls
4. Douse the mizzzen sail
5. Douse the sprit tops'l. It should look like the main royal in the video, but much more droopy, and not drawing wind at all.
6. Douse the jib (outermost heads'l in this case)
7. The fore tops'l and sprits'l should be drawing less wind than the other sails- a bit more droopy.

Pictures for steps 2-7 to follow. I have diagrams, but I'd rather see if I have real pictures on my hard drive first.

Edit: Picture coming that will complement the video.

Did anyone tried to run this beauty on COAS so far? I did and noticed that she causes mainboard beeping and slowed down my game to 1 moving picture per second o_O! I fear there is still much conversion work to do and I have no experience in porting PoTC stuff to COAS. I created the needed script entries, what did I forget?

Here is the discussion we had about getting her into COAS. Its in a different thread.

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/some-small-update-requests.19902/page-3

I hadn't produced a bundled package/DL for this ship yet because it still needs a proper SAILORSPOINTS file. There is a bad coord(s) in the file Armada provided, and that is what is slowing the ship down in your game believe it or not. Just chuck the sailorspoints file and she will work fine. I used one from another ship that matches up close in the meantime. I think it was from light frigate, chase frigate, black angel or crimson blood. I can't remember.

MK

Back