• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Frigate "Rossiya", 1728

Cheers, mate. Which texture do you think lacks detail? Personally I'm quite happy with how they look, but I'll upload the PSDs if you want to try to improve them.
Bear in mind I need to have three more textures done for Pieter to include in the update this weekend, so we're talking about a strict deadline.

I think overall a bit. Overal the ship looks very clean and if you want to make something a bit more alive, you need to roughen it up a bit. So chipped paint here and there, some colour shifts/spots. It's hard to say what's lacking, since the ship already looks really, freaking good. I am talking about details here. It's more a gut feeling than something I can elaborately express.

Actually, my little brother and mother, when I showed them your work, also seemed to quite like the look at a distance of the old model and texture.
So there's definitely some truth to what Thomas is saying. Though of course, that your model is an amazing work of art is beyond any doubt. :doff

I think overall a bit. Overal the ship looks very clean and if you want to make something a bit more alive, you need to roughen it up a bit. So chipped paint here and there, some colour shifts/spots. It's hard to say what's lacking, since the ship already looks really, freaking good. I am talking about details here. It's more a gut feeling than something I can elaborately express.
In that case, you could say the same for almost every single new custom ship we've had. Certainly all the recent ones make use of "clean" textures, including the works of Pgargon and Captain Armstrong, and those we have acquired from PotBS. That makes it a very widespread problem, so in a way I'm surprised no-one has commented before. It's not like this is anything new. :shrug

Anyway, I might as well give you the PSD files. At the time of posting, they're still uploading to SkyDrive at snail's pace, but Rossiya_PSDs.7z will be available from this link.

Wow! Armada has a new signature! And a well-deserved change it is too. :bow

I am happy to hear that the PSD files will be made available.
Myself, i know that colors, textures, style are always a matter of taste - a neverending discussion.
I am verrrry pleased with the green Variant, i think i will adapt that to my liking... a linking that nobody else could achieve but me.

about the clean-rough question...
Rossyia... as she is now, she is all brand spanking new. The new Kid on the block, but still noobish and with no experience.
I want mine to look like she has her battle scars, thus is an effective tool of (war) diplomacy, and also seen a storm or two with weathered paint, and minor repaints in places.

To ask for them to do that would be too much. It would be arrogant, and a slap in the face for those that provide me with this ship (armada and helpers, advisors and encourageing folks).

and it is a good way for others to contribute, make a first step to give something back by breaking out the brushes and painting a ship.

I tested the ship in a new game the other day, and she had crew on deck as expected. :shrug

Rossiya 1.2.8: Texture Upgrade:
Rossiya.png

Changelog:
  • Textures updated to reflect a modern artistic interpretation.

Whats the difference between this and an upcomming coas version, what happens if I implement this version?

Only the code files would be incompatible right now; the model itself would work fine (though without a lit lantern at night, and the sails may need some slight adjustments).
I need someone with CoAS to sort out a Ships_init.c entry and any other files that need changing to get the ship to work properly.

Back