• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Gentlemen Of Fortune 2.0

I don't think I've ever heard of textures crashing any of these games. :shock

It is possible to crash CoAS with larger size texture files, although in this not likely in this case.

When I started updating graphic files for my GOF Eras installation, I tried testing to see how far I could take the size of texture files using an external tga to tag.tx converter program (not CoverterTX used by Akella).

Since we know the limits of ConverterTX and the base game use a maximum of 2048X2048, I upped the ante and went all the way to 32768X32768 down to 4096X4096, and tried different file sets.
Anything above 8192X8192, CoAS did not like well and choked, although you CAN use 8192X8192 and 4096X4096 tile sets easily.

Three current negatives however:

1) Ship sailing performance really starts to suffer with increasing texture set file size above 4096, and gets worse with large battles even on modern computers.

2) Overall file size. Every time you double the resolution of the base texture file and still keep MIPS in place for proper scaling effectively doubles file size based on TGA compression. Basically, you would end up with a game directory of over 100 GB. If every texture file was replaced at this same level of quality it might end up being 250+ GB or more.

3) The game engine cannot use all the free ram you might have available anyway, a 4GB patch on the engine.exe causes instability, and eventually the game will crash due to memory leakage when graphic files are swapped out.

Hence, the reason I stuck with the 2048X2048 file sets, which everyone can use, still has very good enhanced quality and reduces download size.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. It has been a busy day here. :rumgone

There are no logs because as soon as I click on the EXE the unknown module message pops up. Methinks the logs from the first play have been erased.

My antivirus has a game mode which puts it into standby when a full screen app is started and no other game is refusing to start.
This rig runs ERAS fine which has many larger textures. It only crashes when I get into battles with more than 10 ships. I'm currently stuck in a 14 ship battle plus a fort. :facepalm

GOF2 is installed the same way as ERAS and POTC are; D: GOF2 and windows is on the C: drive.

I am as mystified as you are and agree that it should not crash after running ok.

Wow, you really ARE the texture expert, aren't you, TheBlackKnight?
I didn't even know there WAS another method for converting from TGA to TGA.TX! :onya

Wow, you really ARE the texture expert, aren't you, TheBlackKnight?
I didn't even know there WAS another method for converting from TGA to TGA.TX! :onya

The graphic tools that were available 10 years ago are much more advanced now, but there still are game limitations as noted.

Without rewriting Storm Engine 2.8 features and paying someone to do the work, this is not going to happen.
That is why I was completely baffled that they did not upgrade the engine for POTEHO.
Granted there are additional features but the sailing model remained basically unchanged and has been for over a decade all the way back to the original Sea Dogs.
Use of improved graphic quality is a MUST to survive in today's PC game world of complete eye candy.
No one uses 512X512 texture file sets today for tiling except for very small icons.
At least CoAS has exceptional depth as say compared to AC IV: Black Flag, which is great fun and looks amazing but runs out of steam at the end of the adventure.

Yeah, just giving the Storm engine multi core support would be a huge step forward. Imagine 200 fps instead of 20fps and much better graphics.

It's alive! I finally found my mistake. :pirate07:

I have been renaming the start.exe to GOF2.exe and that crashes the game right there. :facepalm
start 2014-03-02 13-32-30-91.jpg

A dumb question but what is POTEHO?

"Pirates Odyssey: To Each His Own"
The actual prequel to Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships set 15 years before CoAS released by BlackMark Studios / Akella in 2012.
One of the many games features is the return to CoAS and explanation of the backstory of the City of Abandoned Ships, when it was still the "Isle of Justice". Capper is not the admiral, and Leyton Dexter is still alive...
Only released in Russian.
Its actually quite good, but with some really weird quest fantasy twists, magic, and item creation.
The characters are SOLID (but with only one protagonist), and weapons are really updated.
Its almost a cross between Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Sea Dogs.
Its still feels like CoAS and you will feel right at home in the Age of Pirates world.
However, it is not quite as open-ended as CoAS or AoP:CT.

If you can believe it, the difficulty actually got HARDER!
At base level, the near lowest difficulty is like playing Corsair on CoAS.
I have only finished ab0ut 30% of the game, because I have to keep translating Russian in my head while I play.

http://ru.akella.com/Game.aspx?id=2551

Last edited:
Thanks guy's I remember it now, been a long time since I last looked at that mod (well it was a mod back then) currently only available in Russian and not available in my region.;( Was going to take a look at the ships and see if I could use some, guess that won't be happening now.

Great news about Hylie Pistof though, now to play GOF 2 with patch 1.2 installed and take a little break from working on the game.

Ayup! i'm playing it now and the starter ship I got is the Ketch. This is fine except that it is the 1st version of this ship and it has the high camera bug. So I copied the later POTC version into the game and it works fine so far, but I have not dismasted it yet.

This reminded me of the ships I worked on the last time you were active Luke159, and those ships are still in my Dropbox in the Downloads section at the top of the forum. They were all play tested at the time and should be ok in the game if you want them.

Greetings!

I have the infamous "invisible musket" bug on Humphrey Douglas. After some digging around the forums I did find a few things, but nothing that solved my issue (buho's fix apparently requires you to apply it before you finish the quest). So my question is how to fix this a long time after you've hired him?
Thank you in advance!

I am using version 2.08 btw.

Greetings!

I have the infamous "invisible musket" bug on Humphrey Douglas. After some digging around the forums I did find a few things, but nothing that solved my issue (buho's fix apparently requires you to apply it before you finish the quest). So my question is how to fix this a long time after you've hired him?
Thank you in advance!

No console control override code was ever written to fix this problem AFTER you give Humphrey Douglas the double barrel musket.
Several of us here could write the code, but I would have to relook at Buho's fix to crosscheck the quest files when I have the chance.

The simpler way in your case to save immediate time is to simply reload your game BEFORE you gave the musket to Douglas, apply the Buho quest line fix, and then proceed to talk to Humphrey.

You don't have to backtrack that far, so don't get frustrated, as it is only important you apply the fix right before your final talk with him stating your "have found the musket" and he agrees to join you after paying his debts.

Remember to NEVER give him ANY other weapon than his carbine EVER because the Buho fix does not replace animations, and Douglas has no sword/pistol model to use in the game.
If you make this mistake he will go invisible, which is unrepairable without building another animation file for Douglas, which also has never been done to my knowledge.
The only way to fix this is to reload your game before it happened, as even though you can trade with him while he is "invisible" he will not release the musket.
You can give him anything else such as health elixirs, bullets, cuirasses, skills books, or trinkets with no issues.
You can also use him as a ship captain companion or place him in port control if needed.

If you can show me the link for this fix from Buho I can implement it in the next patch so this quest is fixed.

not sure what happen, but GOF 2.0 with your latest patch 1.2 give so many crash that i never meet when i'm using GOF 1.1.2 although i'm using fresh install. is it possible because i'm changes mod option? well i never touch mod option at GOF 1.1.2. oh currently i'm using windows 8.1 is it any issue with this windows version? thanks.

Was GOF 1.1.2 on another operating system?

When are the crashes happening, are they random or always at a particular moment like in a battle, visiting the store, shipyard etc?

If In a battle is it against any particular ship it crashes on or is it all/most ships?

Personally haven't had any out of the ordinary crashes myself and I run it on windows 7 x64 but I don't use the main directory for my GOF install. I make a folder outside of programes (on my desktop) and I use this version which is a copy and paste of the game from the main directory and then I install GOF and the patch over the desktop foldered version as running the game from the main directory can and will make the game very unstable more so on newer operating systems like windows 7 and 8. The game was built for windows XP and doesn't like the later operating systems. Windows 8 though I don't like and many games have had to have updates to them just to run correctly on that operating system, maybe someone who runs windows 8 will be able to say if the game less stable on that operating system.

Back