• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide How to get a very good start

It only says there isn't an active profile in which i can save. But no other problems like that. When i installed for the first time this mod, after some time, i discovered how it is needed to work the quicksave more or less.

Methinks POTC was originally called Sea Dogs 2, but Disney bought into it and renamed it after their movie and had Akella add some movie content to it.
Indeed it was. Blaze Devlin ended up as the main character in Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales.

QuickSave should work just as well as regular save does. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that it actually does. :facepalm

About the Gregor Samsa trick... it is more easy to talk to him when he's asleep and take his loot, than looting him with the thief's knife. Sometimes you will need to hit him twice with the thief's knife in order to steal his things. In the dialog can happen the same as the thief's knife. With the dialog, you lose only -1 or -2. With the thief's knife, around -3 or -4.

Guys, i need help... the quicksave right at the start of the campaign of TSH, after completing malcom's training, doesn't work... It says that i can't save because i don't have an active profile.... this error happened to me several times... and gets me frustrated :modding

Any clue why it doesn't work?

Where are you when you try to save? The only place a save does not work is on the dock as soon as you leave the ship.

After finishing the malcom's training, i left him going to the tavern (making sure that he cross the door) And after that, i went out of the main city and went to the port. Try to save it. NO, you can't. You don't have an active profile. I did that step before, because once i got a bug when quicksaves didn't save very well, that was caused due to quicksaving before Malcom went to the tavern (crossing the door). I also tried quicksaving on the tavern, but it didn't work. I also quit the game, play again and load the savegame (normal save), and quicksave didn't work. Only works fine normal save.

I had to say that the quicksave on that part on other occasions before worked well, don't know what cause the problem of not quicksaving right now. Didn't went out of Speighstown, too. Didn't sail yet. So... what can cause that you can't save because you don't have an active profile?

Of course, this also happens with the Devlin Opera mainquest, as i have said above some time ago.

When you start POTC and hit the "load" button there will appear in the right hand side of the screen a "profile" button. When you hit that does it show any profiles, even greyed out ones?

Yes, they appear two profiles (I started two profiles) One is in white and the other is in grey, as you say. And the normal saves appear in each one.

EDIT: Ok, i went out of Speighstown to see if the quicksave worked, but it didn't. It says there isn't an active profile. Again. Run out of ideas...It seems that the installation got some bugs and problems.

Yesterday i was playing like normal gameplay, and then, when i decided to load a previous game, it crashed during the load of the game. This made that the game restored the defaults settings, and get frozen IF i touch anything, like options, tips & tricks, credits, etc. (Except quit). So the game got a fatal error crash, in which no error archives appeared anymore. So i decided to reinstall it again. Then i started a new game, but malcom seem to have bugs because i couldn't talk to him. So, again, reinstall. Now it works fine, except for the quicksaves. What else more can happen to me? :p

Last edited:
Yep, i have to reinstall it because it happened to me again the "fatal error crash". Now i have discovered how does it work well the quicksave. It just now works good. Finally!! :)

It seems that you have to create and start a new game. When you finish Malcom's training, you must save but with a normal save. Then, when he is inside the tavern and has crossed the door, repeat another new normal save. Then go to the port, and do quicksave. It SHOULD work fine.

So the prerequisite of a successful quicksave is two normal saves? Oooh..nice figuring.:onya

So the prerequisite of a successful quicksave is two normal saves? Oooh..nice figuring.:onya

Well... i think that is the way to have for sure nice quicksaves. Although as I said, it SHOULD work as I described, but sometimes starting a new game can have its bugs.

Of course, maybe on other computers, more powerfuls, this kind of problems doesn't happen. I'm speaking on general.

And of course, DavyJack... This is only to make sure that when you are going to play the campaign, quicksave works nice to you. It's a prerequisite only right at the start. If it does work, nice then, you can continue without problems, and you don't need to use anymore normal saves :)

I strongly recommend, if you are going to start a new game on this campaign, that you follow Malcom's training, because... I cannot guarantee that quicksave will work if you skip that part. I think i remember that in that kind of situation, quicksave failed because there wasn't an active profile.

Of course, i have to advise you... (Only it happened to me, don't know if other people have the same problem as me) Pray that every quicksave, especially if you are finishing the storyline, or if you have played several weeks or months, doesn't crash when loading. Because then... it happens the "fatal error crash", and if that happen... you have to reinstall it again, losing all what you have done :modding

PD: I had to reinstall the game like 4 times on 2 days... that is very annoying :whipa

Oh, i have in my mind something to ask.... Can you make a copy of all your savegames and put them in another folder just in case you have to reinstall the game? Because i would like to do that if it's possible.

If i had to reinstall the game and i put the saved games on the save folder which they were, those saved games would work?

That would work just fine, provided that the modpack is the same version.
Just like we can load your saves on our computers if the game versions match. :yes

Interesting... i have just started again the Devlin Opera storyline, and.... quicksave worked :shock

After the 1st dialog, i pressed quicksave, and it worked. It seems that if you want that quicksave work, you must use quicksave right after the 1st dialogue (If there's one). This has also worked on De la Croix storyline too.

Recent news to update!!

Have you asked how can you get a 10 luck very easy? Or a level 10 leadership right at the start? NO problem. Here is what you need. No cheatmodes on this trick as always.

Start a new campaign (Whatever you want), and go to talk to the people who give you advices. These people, when you talk to them, they help you increasing your level at leadership and luck, and you also earn XP. This is important: When you start a new game with level 1, your experience gained to your skills will progress at a higher speed than on higher levels (For example, level 20). As we know, talking to those guys increase our leadership and luck. But because you have such a low level, the progress on those skills will be very fast. We are talking that if you only talk to people (Not doing other things), At a level 7 more or less, you will have 10 skill leadership and 10 skill luck.

To make this posible, talk to a lot of these guys and try to talk to them repeatedly as much as they can do (Watch out for non-wanted pickpocketing to those guys!). Don't do this if you are already on a level 5 or more, because the progress will be slow indeed.

By the way, trying this trick on "Tales of a Sea Hawk" is possible, but because you can use Malcom's training, you could spend your high speed progress on other useful skills, like melee, defence, accuracy, etc. The same happens to, for example, comerce: If you only trade items and products, your commerce will sure increase very fast. This option allows you to choose which skills do you want to have increased at the beginning.

In the next post i will bring you a couple of screenshots showing it :)

Try this and tell me what you think ;)

That was added as an intentional feature, although reaching 10 on Leadership AND Luck before you leave Barbados does sound like it isn't quite balanced.
But the idea was to allow exactly what you state here: "This option allows you to choose which skills do you want to have increased at the beginning."

Also.... This makes it very important to care about what you do in the early game.
After all, if you DO do this, you'll have a proper hard time with fencing later on! :shock

Back