• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP KrisWood's Lyon Hoy small trader, 8 guns

The diamond pattern on the side is modeled, and is based on contemporary navy board models.

It only adds about 10 triangles per cathead. If you're looking to shave that little there are probably other areas that need more attention. :) Is your model on the FTP? I'll see if I can take a look and give you some pointers.

It only adds about 10 triangles per cathead. If you're looking to shave that little there are probably other areas that need more attention. :) Is your model on the FTP? I'll see if I can take a look and give you some pointers.
haha she isnt that desperate I guess, but I am at a loss about how to reduce polys without the ship loosing something. :? If you could have a look at her at some point that would be great! She is not on the FTP yet, and I am still finalizing her in gmax. once she is ready ill put her on the ftp in .obj format so you can have a look. right now the hull is about 67000 polys, and the rigging 27000, but there are still a few details that need work.

The hull in all my ships is under 7k triangles. I think Centurion is around 1600 total. That's the main place I'd look at optimizing, especially underwater where no one ever looks. Are you including railings, deck furniture, cannons, etc in that 6700 or just the shell of the hull?

Are you including railings, deck furniture, cannons, etc in that 6700 or just the shell of the hull?
Yes, every little thing that attaches to the hull and deadeyes as well are included in the 67000 count. the basic hull is only about 9k triangles Anyways, I should stop hijacking this thread. I will post an update on my frigate in her own thread soon, and ill be sure to include some pics with wireframe on so you can see her in more detail. :onya

Need some help guys. I've made all the locators (hull, mast, yard and bowsprit) but the game crashes right before ship should be spawned. After a long searching for a mistake I need to clear out few things about locator creating. Can somebody tell me how the game understands what element of rigging should be attached to the locator? For example, I have a bowsprit, named Lyon!_mast1.gm and I have a locator mast1 on the hull model. So how does the game know what model should be attached to mast1 locator? There are no equation between the names of the model and locator. There are no locator on the Lyon!_mast1.gm which could tell whare the model should be attached, only the base locator, which I created when exported this model to .gm from .obj in Maya. Maybe this is the case, why my game crashes and I've got a mess with the locator names or something? At the moment I can't see any difference between my locator scheme and any other which works correct in game.

Thanks for any help!

First off, do you have error logs enabled? They might have a clue to your problem.

In your example of mast1, the zero point of the X,Y, &Z axis is where the mast1 attaches to the mast1 locator. These pics in GMViewer illustrate this. I hope this helps.

Thanks, Hylie Pistoff!
I've found a mistake in locator scheme of the mast. Now everything is OK with locators and ships is on in-game testing. Here are the screens:
LH09.jpg

LH10.jpg

LH11.jpg

LH12.jpg

The only problem right there is with the player walk file (path). I made it, attached it to the hull with a locator, reversed normals to make it invisible, but when I switch to a first person look, I can't move anywhere from deafult camera position :(
Right after solving the path problem I'll make some minor adjustments of sails locators positions an draw additional skins. So the model will be ready for a release then.

And a request to KrisWood and others. Give me your Ideas about the color scheme of the hull. Right now I'm going to try it black with red stripes, like a Blackbeard's sloop "Adventure" from a BBC movie. But I need one more skin anyway, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Nice work Rider88, she looks great! :onya

How about something like this for a paint scheme?

schooner1.jpg

The path problem has been solved and everything works OK now. The model needs some minor corrections here and there and a little more in-game testing. So the release is coming very soon.

Great news mate! I am really looking forward to sailing this little beauty!

How was the interior modeled? Would you like me to make an accurate one based on the period plans? The aft gunports that look like they're in the cabin would actually be purely decorative as they don't line up with the deck so no guns could fit in them. According to the ship's official log in the naval archives she only carried swivels. She looks great, keep up the wonderful work! :onya Now I'll have to get hold of this game so I can try it out. What's it called again?

How was the interior modeled? Would you like me to make an accurate one based on the period plans? The aft gunports that look like they're in the cabin would actually be purely decorative as they don't line up with the deck so no guns could fit in them. According to the ship's official log in the naval archives she only carried swivels. She looks great, keep up the wonderful work! :onya Now I'll have to get hold of this game so I can try it out. What's it called again?

The intrerior was modeled using the furniture of stock COAS cabins. I think we don't need a historycally accurate interior, because it is inaccessable from ship deck and we can see parts of it through windows only. So this is enough for that purpose and it is not too heavy on polygons so it is suits better for an old game engine.
As for the guns, we have no working svivels in the game so they play only decorative function. Sorry, I haven't got any plans of this ship and made the inner ports in line with the deck, so the guns stations great there. And 8 guns instead of 6 is better for a game balance, IMO.
Btw, ship is ready, see the first post.

Tell me what you have? Do you have the City of Abandoned Ships game? And what would you like to do? To add this ship as a new one or replace one of stock ships?

Well I added her to the game, very nice work mate, but I am afraid that she makes a PC beep when you load to her at sea. Do you know how to fix that?

Back