• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Medium Priority Making Better use of Indian Weapons

@Pieter Boelen we will make the more avaible first ofcourse, but we can discuss about it already right :p.
If you know what they can do or will do in the future it sometimes is more Motivation to actually make them avaible :p.

As long as we don't get ahead of ourselves. We've fallen into that pit (too) often before. :modding

The Tainos bow and arrows were weak, being designed for short range use against naked people and animals. But they did commonly use poisoned arrows, which the Spaniards feared most.

No Pieter, I have not forgotten - the grenades are on my list.
I think I know however how to add both flaming and poisoned arrows in an easy way.

If an character is hit by an arrow and is not bAllies then give an arrow to the character.
Done!
But I'm wondering if it isn't too good to get ALL your ammo back (if they're arrows) this way.
What about 50% or 67% chance or something? "Some arrows were damaged".

Done!
But I'm wondering if it isn't too good to get ALL your ammo back (if they're arrows) this way.
What about 50% or 67% chance or something? "Some arrows were damaged".
You can also miss the shot right?
Or is this chance very low? If so then a percentage would be best indeed :).

altough for now maybe don't do it yet because there is no good way of getting new arrows yet.

You won't get poisoned or flaming arrows back, though. Flaming arrows will have burned out or burned up. Poisoned arrows won't be poisoned any more because the poison is inside the victim, so at best you get back a standard arrow.

Unless there's some mechanism for allowing a ranged weapon to have more than one type of ammo, there may need to be different bows defined to use different types of arrow. I may have use for poisoned arrows in the story I'm writing, so if nobody has beaten me to it by the time I get to writing the bit which may use them, I'll try adding a new bow plus poisoned arrow myself...

You won't get poisoned or flaming arrows back, though. Flaming arrows will have burned out or burned up. Poisoned arrows won't be poisoned any more because the poison is inside the victim, so at best you get back a standard arrow.
Yes.

Unless there's some mechanism for allowing a ranged weapon to have more than one type of ammo, there may need to be different bows defined to use different types of arrow.
Yes, that was my first thought too but I think I can handle it in an easier way.

There will be only one Bow and one type of arrows and one shottype.

The arrows can be flaming or poisoned though. (with additional effects) I'll fix that with code.

Oh btw while I was on it.
You can now (after I upload my files tomorrow) set an isIndian attribute for an character.
If so it will get a bow and arrows instead of a gun (if it gets a gun in the first place).

You can now (after I upload my files tomorrow) set an isIndian attribute for an character.
If so it will get a bow and arrows instead of a gun (if it gets a gun in the first place).
Very awesome! Can you have that set by default then for randomly encountered Indian characters?
And maybe the "mummies" too?

Very awesome! Can you have that set by default then for randomly encountered Indian characters?
And maybe the "mummies" too?
I will look into it. It should be possible.
It's being used for my quest now. Because the equipment is already generated in CreateFantomCharacter I had to make a new function to call that one where you can send some attributes to assign to the character also. I made room for 3 attributes, so you could for example also send the "isGuard" or "isMerchant" attribute when making them.
If I got some time left I will go trough the encounter code quickly and see if I can set it up so some attributes for a encounter can be stored and then send when the character is created. Should be relatively easy :).

Any other requests for special weapons? For example giving someone whips or rockets or something like that :p?

Soldier weapons for isSoldier, but that should happen already.

Noticed this in the function where the mosters params are (re)set.
Code:
// Swindler: instead use that call:
    if(locid!="Brothel")
    {
        if(!HasSubStr(locator,"bed"))
        {
            LAi_NPC_Equip(chr, sti(chr.rank), hasBlade, gunProb);
            EquipCharacterByItem(&chr, FindCharacterItemByGroup(&chr, ARMOR_ITEM_TYPE)); // armor too
        }
    }
    else
    {
        if(chr.sex!="woman")
        {
            LAi_NPC_Equip(chr, sti(chr.rank), hasBlade, gunProb);
            EquipCharacterByItem(&chr, FindCharacterItemByGroup(&chr, ARMOR_ITEM_TYPE)); // armor too
        }
    }
    // Swindler <--

Any idea why that code is there and what is was originally intend to do? I think it's not doing what is should :p.
essentially it means everyone except womens and people in the brothel get theire equipment set (again)...

It means that every random character NOT in a "brothel" location and NOT on a "bed" locator gets weapons.
Inside the brothel, women don't get weapons.

I think if you remove it, probably a lot of random characters won't have weapons anymore.

It means that every random character NOT in a "brothel" location and NOT on a "bed" locator gets weapons.
Inside the brothel, women don't get weapons.

I think if you remove it, probably a lot of random characters won't have weapons anymore.
CreateFantomCharacter also calls this function already. So it's called twice or in sometimes 3 times for a single character :p.

A well for now this makes my life a lot easier :p.
But after the public release I also want to take a look at the equipcode because something fishy is going on there :p.

Back