• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Medium Priority Making Better use of Indian Weapons

Since NPCs don't use up ammo, they shouldn't need an item that allows them to carry more ammo.
If they did, the player could get such items too easily. If they do carry one, it should be RARE!

But my preferred solution would be to not have them carry one at all and allow them to be found only from special places.
This could be your Bridgetown treasure chest or (especially!) the Oranjestad Indian Trader (who currently isn't an Indian trader! :razz ).
The treasure has a quiver yes ;)

So then there's currently one place in the game to get one.
I'm still hoping for that Indian Trader. But I admit that can wait until after Beta 4.

So then there's currently one place in the game to get one.
I'm still hoping for that Indian Trader. But I admit that can wait until after Beta 4.
Yes it will have to wait. And even then we need to think about it a bit more because the indian trader wont be avaible during early explorers

In the NPC_Equip code they should get arrows
Yes and they do, good!
I thought say 1 + rand(2) maybe would be enough for looting reasons. More like other looted ammo.

What do you guys say?

I thought say 1 + rand(2) maybe would be enough for looting reasons. More like other looted ammo.
What do you guys say?
Why not? Since you will be able to reuse arrows, probably you shouldn't need to have all that many available for looting.

The idea when you've got a bow equipped is:
1) Firing the bow the bladehand gets an arrow equipped, if not already
2) Hitting with the bladearrow changes it to a tomahawk.
And back to 1) etc.

NPC:s get arrows ok. The problem is when given a bow they also get an ordinary blade (equipped)
of some sort. I have changed in LAi_equip so that "IsIndian" also means that they start with a
bladearrows equipped and no standard blade to come with the bow at all.
Bladearrows is better to start the loop above with than a tomahawk as they probably are at some distant and want to fire the bow first.

Tested and it works fine.

@Jack Rackham just curious. Why don't use NPC ammo? Don't we want them to use ammo?
If they dont then 1+rand(2) should be enough indeed.

I notice that when having a group of indians (with Bows) they often fire at each other. Not by purpose
but because they got in each others way. And they hit.

Is this because they don't belong to any specific group or do these things happen also with NPC:s
using firearms?

Could the fact that they now are wearing European names have any negative effect ?

Okay, I'll see if I can prevent from poison or flaming arrows to take effect if the wrong enemy.

Poisoned and Flaming arrows done. Comes with my next upload.

2 new items, "curare" and "tar" make your arrows poisoned or flaming. Like 2 dip sauces. ;)
If you got both the most dangerous is chosen (poisoned).
One potion is taken when firing the Bow.
These items are (to start with) set to skipsell, skiprand etc so they can be placed wherever you want them but should be very rare I think.

Poisoned arrows poisons of course the victim. Effetcs: louder groan + light green effect.
Flaming arrows gives additional damage. Effects: smoke puff at the bow, flames + ahhhh+ smoke at the victim.

Standard + poisoned arrows has a 50% chance to be looted on the victims body. Flaming arrows are destroyed.
Poisoned arrow are not poisoned any longer when looted.

Attribute "IsIndian" gives rand(2) arrows to the bow. Another arrow is given as a blade.

Attachments

• arrow update.jpg
    arrow update.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 100
Ok not potion. One of these new items is used when firing an arrow.
Ah! So you carry bow, arrows AND some of those curare items and every time you fire a poisoned arrow, you lose a curare item.
That makes sense, I suppose. :yes

Yes, that way an easy way to go around the need of different arrows (= shottypes) and perhaps also bows.
Also by this only the "curare" and "tar" items need to be very rare.

you do need to equip the curare or tar I asume?

Back