• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Making Town Capture Boarding Locators

I think you should be able to attack pirate settlements for realism's sake, plus, so you can say you've taken over the WHOLE Caribbean at some point, however, I do agree on having pre-reqs for landing party, want to make it hard? Make instant boarding the pre-req, that'll balance it out. Also, considering lowering the ransom a bit for pirate settlements, just a bit. Just saying, people like me want the whole Caribbean to be under my rule, muahahahahahahahahahaha.

Last edited:
I figured out why in some locations there were no crewmembers: Turns out this was because there were already BuildingSet characters there.
And some of the "getting stuck" on last location was because there were no regular citizens there. Bet you didn't see that one coming, eh? o_O

I do agree on having pre-reqs for landing party, want to make it hard? Make instant boarding the pre-req, that'll balance it out.
Instant Boarding doesn't exist in Iron Man Mode though; that's why I'll make it "Long Range Boarding" instead.

Also, considering lowering the ransom a bit for pirate settlements, just a bit.
I have just fixed it up so the random you get is actually the ransom it says in the dialog.
That still tends to be quite a bit, so if people think it needs to be balanced a bit more during testing, we can easily do so.

New fixes included in the latest Beta 3 update: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686/

BARBADOS - Bridgetown - I think this is just a missing Governor - Fort Commander to talk to.

After 2nd town fight in Suburb - think you are supposed to be transported to Governor / Fort / Prison Commander - but are just stuck in the same part of town ( get same location loading screen & are just moved to one of the gates - your officers now appear & the missing texture on the ground is there now there so I assume you have been transported to the normal model for this location instead of the Capture Colonies Model ) - you can fast travel to store/church/tavern etc but cannot leave buildings once inside them except by fast travel to another building.
I added two citizens in the suburb location for Bridgetown and Speightstown so that you have a locator to load to.
This seems to have fixed the reload so you get to talk to the fake fort commander and continue play like you should.

ARUBA - Oranjestad - As Barbados I think this is just missing governor to talk to.

Sank all ships - Fight in Port - Transported to Town - can't move ( used A-D keys to move sideways slightly which fixed this ) - in town no one to talk to the Governor is in townhall (locked) can get inside only with Fast travel. Talk to Governor & he only has ordinary dialog - no Capture Colonies Dialog.
Couldn't confirm this one; managed to capture the town just fine.

HISPANIOLA - Buccaneer Camp - Boca de Hubon

Made the missing locator file for this (shore08_lb.gm) - but still could not get it to let me land Troops. - I think the Boca de Hubon beach may not be recognised as the port of the Buccaneer Camp (perhaps the camp is just a Quest Location and not meant to be captured in Capture Colonies)
I was able to land just fine, but had the Bridgetown issue once I got into the Camp itself. Fixed by adding two "citizens". They don't say anything useful; they're just needed to give the player somewhere to load to.

ST MARTIN - Marigot

I am still unable to destroy Fort - no hits shown or registered? - sinking all the French Ships does not seem to work either.
Confirmed. I suspect something is weird with the island GM file. I hope Armada can have a look at this one.

Capturing Colonies for Player - Interface Problems

You cannot capture any colony without a FORT for yourself - the interface to assign the Officers to Governor & Fort Commandant does not appear if you choose this option in the dialog with the Pirate Chief /Governor - see error logs attached to Post # 84 above. ( You can still give it to another nation or ransom it ok. )

The interface to assign an Officer to be the Governor & Fort Commandant is unstable and it is difficult to get the officer you want allocated (I am not sure if they have to have a certain level of skills e.g. Leadership or cannons - this might have affected it in my game). Also I once almost allocated the Governor I was talking to as the new Fort Commandant.:rofl - Would he have fired on me as I sailed out of the port. xD:

Officers allocated as Fort Commandant will leave your passenger List. Officers allocated as Governor stay on your Passenger list and can be allocated to additional towns - they only leave the passenger list if you allocate them as a Fort Commandant. (I have currently got one governor running three towns on different islands & two governors being Fort Commandants in towns on other islands and two governors who are still Passengers).
As far as I can tell, this now behaves itself quite fine. Shame I was unable to allow reassigning of your governor and fort commander later on, but that proved to be too complicated.

Returning to Towns you have Captured for Yourself.

This is bugged - you can go into a town you have captured from the jungle ok. If however you try to land at the Port then sometimes you will be transported to the Port ok and sometimes you will be transported into the Fort - there you will be attacked by masked men ( your people manning the Fort ) there is no way out, so you die. (see attached error logs for Martinique)
As far as I understand this, this should no longer happen now that the fort commander is of PERSONAL_NATION and the "visit fort" code has been disabled.
If it does still happen, let me know.

Money Received For Ransom of Colony

- The amount you receive is twice the amount in the dialog
- If you decide to take over the colony for another country - the colony is taken over & you also get the amount of money for the ransom (actual amount stated in dialog ) - not sure if this is correct or a bug.
- If you take the colony for yourself you don't get any money - you do get the daily amount of money from the Taxes ok.
You're absolutely right. Worse still, you didn't even get twice the mentioned amount, but twice a different amount.
I fixed that so you get what it says and you only get it once. Will you believe the line that adds money was literally there twice. Uh? :facepalm

Also, you now do NOT get money when giving the colony to another town or keeping it for yourself; ONLY if you ransom it.

If you ransom it, the town will not be normally functional for a while and the fort will remain destroyed for a while.
I'd be quite interested to know if this ever returns to normal!

No Crew at Certain Locations

This might still be a problem with Locators - not enough of them or Strange shape ( I have been playing with Visible locators and some of the loc ones are not the usual semi-sphere but long thin ellipses. So those locations might need more work.
- I don't know if the Mod takes into account my total crew (ship or fleet) against the Town Population when calculating the 4 crew vs 3 defenders, that could affect things. But for me the crew are always missing in the same places.
Confirmed. Turns out this was because the game thought you already had enough characters in the location, because all BuildingSet characters were counted too. This has been fixed.

19. TURKS - Grand Turk - OK ( texture outside Town Hall forgot to mention this in previous post same as Port Royale & Havana - see attached)
Which locations still have this effect? Anyone care to try and address this? It's just a GM file problem as Jack Rackham says. :doff

Have you fixed the bug where your settlements act like pirate settlements towards you?
Haven't encountered this one myself and reckon it has been fixed.
If anyone DOES run into it, I want to know about it.

Have you made it possible to capture marigot yet?
Nope. I think that is a GM model/locator problem and not a code issue, so I don't think I can sort that out myself.

Have you fixed the bug where renaming certain towns would cause a CTD?
Has been working fine for me. No issues at all.
Ran into a funny effect today when I renamed my town to "Amsterdam" and the game automatically changed that to "Spiegelretourschip".
That actually makes perfect sense, because that is how it is set up for the ship type names. :rofl

Anyway, I changed the code now to prevent that. And I was afraid that would make "São Jorge" display as "Sao Jorge" after being captured, but that seems fine.
So as far as I can tell, this is all good. Seems to display correctly everywhere I have found so far.

In some towns, all my crew is generated on top of each other
And this was because the game wet cycling through existing locators when it didn't need to. Also fixed, so this should not happen again.
However, I DID run into some locations that didn't have enough town capture boarding locators. This resulted in me getting 3 crewmembers instead of 4.
I added some additional locators for the Bridgetown and Speightstown suburbs, but if anyone runs into the effect of "less crew than normal" again, please post here.

Well, I'm not even starting on this until Beta 3 is out there.
Oops. I lied. :oops:

Last edited:
Well Pieter, I will test this out soon, sounds like all you need to do is get marigot fixed and then the CC mod will finally be perfect. I'm so glad that this has finally been taken care of, I'm now a happy pirate! :dance:onya:cheers

Thanks to Armada, Marigot now officially WORKS! Had to make another missing locator file too, but I have successfully raided the town.

So, it's ALL fixed now!?! Amazing! :ship
Well, testing is going to have to prove that. But I do believe it works now.

So, its just a matter of those dialogs now..i guess?
Yup. That and those crazy triangle things. My attempts to fix that today have failed so far.

Also, is the marigot fix in the test version yet?
As I said in the other thread, no it's not. Because I posted the latest test version yesterday and Armada posted the fix after that. :shrug

Yup. That and those crazy triangle things. My attempts to fix that today have failed so far.
Regarding those triangles, can't you just HEX edit them to use a transparent texture?
Might require adding more alpha textures with different name lengths, but that would be a cleaner fix than trying to move them around with TOOL.

That is certainly possible. Not sure about it being cleaner though. It'd add more files to the modpack again.
Doesn't really matter for size, because alpha map textures are quite tiny, but it does make the folder structure messier. :facepalm

But anyway, we can always do that if need be; no problem there.

By "cleaner" I mean "wouldn't get messed up by TOOL". You know how that program can be. :rolleyes:

Hey, I was playing the most recent test version and testing out CC, it went well until after I assigned a governor to the town (In this case it was the Pirate Settlement on Nevis) and renaming the town, once I got out of that interface and it said the town was in my control, I wasn't able to move at all! I wasn't even able to go into the main menu or the character menu! (the F1 and F2 menus) I'll post my logs here. Also, I don't have a save since that was literally the first thing I did and when I tried to get to the menu to save, it wouldn't even open up the menu when my character was frozen like that!

Attachments

• compile.log
    30.5 KB · Views: 89
  • error.log
    152 bytes · Views: 104
  • system.log
    14.4 KB · Views: 105
Okay, Notice to all using the CC mod! Even if the town doesn't have a fort, you MUST put someone in that slot, or it will get confused.

Okay, Notice to all using the CC mod! Even if the town doesn't have a fort, you MUST put someone in that slot, or it will get confused.
Are you SURE you have the latest update? Because you CAN'T select a fort commander if the town doesn't have a fort.
Not with the latest update I did. :no

I had the sep. 14 version, hmm, better update to today's version.

Sounds like it didn't install properly then.

Anyway, wait six minutes for the PROPER new version with all known bugs with this fixed. It's uploading right now.

Um, okay, lol, I just downloaded it, but I'll wait another 10 minutes then and redownload to be safe.

Back