• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Making Town Capture Boarding Locators

but the ships.ini wont reinitalize the ship you have at the moment or? because I have a SoTL (the Sovereign) and I dont want to lose it^^

Open PROGRAM\console.c and find:
Code:
//    GiveShip2Character(pchar,pchar.ship.type,pchar.ship.name,-1,PIRATE,true,true);
Remove the // in front of that line.
Load your savegame, press F11 to Reinitialize, then press F12 to give your ship to you again. It should now have updated.

ok so I just tested - works fine.. I know that the model of ShipDeck6 works, so I will just replace all ShipDeck3's with it.. maybe I upload it for others who may have the same problem?

You can do. Though I've definitely not heard that issue before. :shock

Perhaps it could also be due to the number of characters being generated. Indeed ShipDeck2 and ShipDeck3 are the only ones going all the way up to 20 characters.
You can edit this in PROGRAM\Loc_ai\LAi_boarding.c here:
Code:
//---------- number of locations in each boarding area ---------
int GetBoardingLimit(int locIndex)
{
    int limit = 6;    // default, just in case

switch(Locations[locIndex].filespath.models)
    {
        case "locations\decks\udeck":         // 2 ships side by side, main character starts on "corvette-like" and boards "warship-like" deck
            limit = 12;
        break;

case "locations\decks\udeck1":        // Narrow single ship
            limit = 20;
        break;

case "locations\decks\udeck2":        // Wide single ship
            limit = 20;
        break;

// KK -->
        case "locations\decks\Qdeck":         // "corvette-like" deck
            limit = 10;
        break;

case "locations\decks\deck1":         // Larger cannons deck
            limit = 14;
        break;

case "locations\decks\deck2":         // Smaller cannons deck
            limit = 14;
        break;

case "locations\decks\hold":          // Cargo hold
            limit = 10;
        break;
// <-- KK
    }

switch(Locations[locIndex].id)
    {
        case "Boarding_Cabin_small":          // Tiny cabin
            limit = 4;
        break;

case "Boarding_Cabin_medium":         // Cabin with 3 rooms, food table and officer's head
            limit = 6;
        break;

case "Boarding_Cabin1":               // Tutorial cabin
            limit = 8;
        break;

case "Boarding_Cabin2":               // Has balcony outside rear window
            limit = 10;
        break;

case "Boarding_Cabin3":               // Has wrap-around gallery across back of cabin
            limit = 10;
        break;

case "Boarding_Cabin4":                  // Black Pearl
            limit = 10;
        break;

case "Boarding_Cabin5":                  // Crimson Blood
            limit = 2;
        break;
// KK -->
        case "BOARDING_ShipDeck4":            // Small deck with two little doors on both sides of stairs up on stern
            limit = 10;
        break;

case "BOARDING_ShipDeck5":            // Medium sized deck with high borts to which lead ladders
            limit = 14;
        break;

case "BOARDING_ShipDeck6":            // Large deck with exit onto galley and "half-round" stairs to upper deck at stern
            limit = 14;
        break;

case "BOARDING_ShipDeck7":            // Black Pearl
            limit = 14;
        break;

case "BOARDING_ShipDeck4vs5":         // Combination of BOARDING_ShipDeck4 and BOARDING_ShipDeck5
            limit = 11;
        break;

case "BOARDING_ShipDeck4vs6":         // Combination of BOARDING_ShipDeck4 and BOARDING_ShipDeck6
            limit = 11;
        break;

case "BOARDING_ShipDeck5vs6":         // Combination of BOARDING_ShipDeck5 and BOARDING_ShipDeck6
            limit = 14;
        break;
// <-- KK
    }

if (IsFort) limit = 8;
    if (IsTown) limit = 8;

if (limit > 20) limit = 20;        // LDH restored 31Jan09 - 30 is too many in one location, it causes terrible lag
    return limit;
}
Reduce those values and see if that works better. Perhaps you can then even keep those original models in use.

well, no, this doesnt work.. went all good until I moored at Charlestown with my SoTL. After finishing my business I went back to the ship and -> CTD. Well I guess I will just replace all ShipDeck3 to ShipDeck6, thats not that bad ;)

One thing I discovered today on the subject of "does a town need a fort or not" is this one:
You can only "Land Troops" at towns that don't have a governor.
So if a town doesn't have a fort and DOES have a governor, you cannot ever take it over in the game's present state.

Eh? So does that mean that all towns with governors but without a fort will need a fort added to allow players to capture them?

?? I could capture Willemstad in Beta3 WIP17? Willemstad hadn'ta fort and had a governor... you only need to clean the whole island-seaside from enemy ships..

EDIT: But, I don't know why, but if you are in Willemstad port, you have no crewmembers helping in the fight. Only you against 4 or 5 soldiers... w/o godmode really really difficult^^

Unless we figure out how to change the way the system works... yes.
I won't be touching it for a while though. And even then, we'll have to see how much I can sort out.

Anyway, I think this applies just to Charlestown and Oranjestad though.
And Charlestown has a fort ashore, so logically should have one at sea too.
So that'd leave only Oranjestad as being a bit ambiguous.

?? I could capture Willemstad in Beta3 WIP17? Willemstad hadn'ta fort and had a governor... you only need to clean the whole island-seaside from enemy ships..
Really? I'm not getting the "Land Troops" icon there. :shock
That is to say, Willemstad DOES have a fort now of course. But I'm not getting it for Charlestown.
And the icon disappeared as soon as I tried to give the Pirate Settlement on Nevis a "governor".

One thing I discovered today on the subject of "does a town need a fort or not" is this one:
You can only "Land Troops" at towns that don't have a governor.
So if a town doesn't have a fort and DOES have a governor, you cannot ever take it over in the game's present state.

I have captured Towns with Governors but without Forts - in Beta 1 & 2 - they acted just like pirate settlements - clear the sea of the nations ships - then Land Troops icon appeared then in town talked to Governor ( as opposed to Pirate leader ) as in a Pirate / smuggler settlement.

Eh? So does that mean that all towns with governors but without a fort will need a fort added to allow players to capture them?

Would that just mean - ARUBA - Oranjestad and ELEUTHERA - Alice Town Settlement. :shrug

:drunk

And the icon disappeared as soon as I tried to give the Pirate Settlement on Nevis a "governor".

Pirate Settlement on Nevis you could Land Troops if no Pirate ships around island ( or you had sunk all of them ) - then after killing pirates on land a Pirate leader was generated in the town and you talked to him ( he had the various dialog options). :yes

:cheers

I have captured Towns with Governors but without Forts - in Beta 1 & 2 - they acted just like pirate settlements - clear the sea of the nations ships - then Land Troops icon appeared then in town talked to Governor ( as opposed to Pirate leader ) as in a Pirate / smuggler settlement.
Ah, THAT might be what I failed to do. Lemme try....

Edit: Yep, that DOES make a difference. I stand corrected.

Hey Talisman, while you're around anyway, what other problems does Capture Colonies still have?
I did some quick tests today and will probably be looking into it over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd bump this thread in preparation of us actually trying to sort this out soon.
Today I did some quick tests and fixed the relevant interface so that at least it doesn't work worse than Beta 2.5 did.

And an additional change: Can't land troops at a fort-less towns, unless you have the "Landing Party" ability.
Just to prevent players getting to do it straight away in the game.

- Sometimes, if you clear out the store, the game freezes.
- The interface for setting the governor and fort commandant is really confusing.

I didn't had any other major problems until now :shrug but I usually capture colonies for nations, to gain promotions. So if it's personal-nation specific, I can't tell too much to that. But it never crashed and after a while figuring out, I could set fort commandants and governors ;)

There are definitely bigger problems with taking the towns for yourself than with just giving them to other nations.
In fact, when I tested this earlier today, it seems that only half of the relevant things happened.
The soldier models didn't change and the flags remained as they were before the capture too.

Will have to figure out how well it works in Pirate_KK's code base.
He made quite some changes to that, but one problem that DOES have is those "ghost boarders". :facepalm

sounds like you guys are wrapping things up with this soon, basic checklist:

Have you fixed the bug where your settlements act like pirate settlements towards you?
Have you made it possible to capture marigot yet?
Have you fixed the bug where renaming certain towns would cause a CTD?

Well, I'm not even starting on this until Beta 3 is out there. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out what the status is in the current Beta 3 code.
Pirate_KK made some substantial code changes related to this mod in his own files and I'd quite want to know how that works before proceeding as well.
As it stands now, nothing that was broken before has been fixed yet. The only thing I did this weekend is to fix it so it isn't more broken.

Back