• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Making Town Capture Boarding Locators

Does anyone still have the installer of Beta 3 WIP 13 by any chance? That one DID include Pirate_KK's Capture Colonies code.
I just had to exclude it again due to the "ghost boarders" problem. But using that, people should be able to test the newer code on that.
See what gives. :shrug

Unfortunately I don't have the installer anymore myself; just a complete installed game version of it. :facepalm

That was the version before I added Pirate_KK's code. Capture Colonies would work there just as well as Beta 2.5 or Beta 3 does.
So no..... not really..... :(

Looks like I'll be having to adapt the WIP 13 code some time then. Oh well.... :shrug

Well, turns out that the actual boarding of captured colonies does NOT work at all in the newer version of that code I've got.
And the modified interface for it doesn't work either. So it seems that the best version in existence is already in Beta 3.
So it seems we don't have a "Get Out of Jail Free" card on this one. It has to be fixed from its present state. :(

The only thing I can hope for is that perhaps the modified "capturing process" at least does work better.
That's one thing I know that does NOT work properly in Beta 3 because apparently half the process just isn't happening. Or something.

Well, I'm looking into this one at long last. And some stuff is half-working, at least.
MyFort.jpg MyMap.jpg

Note though that the big red "X" icon there on the screen has the wonderful effect of completely locking me out of any sort of game controls at all.
Looks like there's still some stuff to do here and there! :wp

Last edited:
Interesting. I managed to get the town changing nation and name working properly.
The town becomes mine, I get my own soldiers, my different governor shows up and the flags display properly too.

However, the interface for assigning the Governor and Fort Commander is well confused.
That needs some substantial further work because it's doing all sorts of weird things right now. o_O

Well hey, at least your towns are actually your towns now and not some stupid pirate town.

I never did get to see that particular problem. I suspect it may have been because the fort commander was never set to PERSONAL_NATION, which I have already changed.
Then the fort would be "dead" for a period of time and afterwards turn back to active for.... the officer's previous nation? Or something?
But for the actual boarding, the town nation is used; which is YOURS. So that makes no sense.

Turns out that big "X" I saw there is because of a never-added feature allowing you to purposely visit your own fort.
There is no code to actually make that happen though, so I just got rid of the reference. That seems to have helped.

Now there seem to be two main problems left as far as I'm aware:
1. The interface being CRAZY; that needs some serious figuring out.
2. Town-specific problems. I suspect those are just mistakes here or there and should hopefully not be too difficult to tackle.

I got it so far that the capturing for the player seems to work.
But I broke the boarding process. :facepalm

hmm, well, one step forward and two steps back it seems

Fixed again. I already successfully captured Kralendijk, the Pirate Settlement and Speightstown.
It seems that the concept is working now. Might be some issues still left, but definitely better than it was.

Haven't looked at town-specific problems yet. I got the impression that some of the town capture boarding locators aren't right.
In some towns, all my crew is generated on top of each other or not even generated at all.

yes, I can confirm that.. should we help by reporting?
I definitly know that you are alone in willemstad port, without any crew.

I definitly know that you are alone in willemstad port, without any crew.
Yep, I saw that as well. Speightstown port too.

Would be especially useful if someone would be willing to actually look at those locator files.
I'll have a lookie myself at some point, of course.

My various fixes to this mod have now been included in the Beta 3 test version: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-progress.20686/
Not perfect yet, but should be quite a bit better at least. I am aware of no more general problems with it; just town-specific ones.

For example, I just tried to capture Bridgetown in the way that would occur during the Standard storyline.
Ended up in mid-air at the end of the fighting and after side-stepping myself to the "world", I couldn't find the "fort commander" to talk to.
So we can't reinstate that part of the main quest just yet, I'm afraid.

Oh well.... we can't win them all at the same time. :facepalm

Just a crazy thought I had: What if we change the Town Capture process again so you ONLY fight in the fort and NOT in the town locations anymore?
Wouldn't that greatly simplify the various issues we are having with the towns? And that is how it worked in the stock game anyway.
Worth an experiment, perhaps? At least for the troublesome towns?

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to hearing how it is now working for people.
Kralendijk is a good place for testing; that one works properly all the way through.

when beta 3 is released, I'll test what I can, also, did you fix the marigot fort issue where you couldn't damage the fort?

As I said, I haven't looked at town-specific issues yet. Which storyline was that though?
I know in the Standard one, stock game towns tend to be locked at the Marigot fort commander is set to immortal for story purposes or something.
Edit: No, Marigot and Martinique are NOT the same town. So I'm talking crap. :whipa

It would be quite useful to have testing done before the Beta 3 release though. :wp

Last edited:
I've got a couple of queries on this mod that I'd like some feedback on, mainly related to balancing:

You can attack and capture pirate settlements and towns without forts; this requires no ships of that nation around the island, but that is easily accomplished.
You can do this early in the game when the enemies are not so strong yet, but you DO get a vast amount of ransom from the deal.

So here's the questions:

- Should you be able to attack those pirate towns at all?

- If yes, what would be a reasonable amount of ransom to get? Note that it is based on the amount of town gold.

- I already limited this feature to ONLY when you have the "Landing Party" ability. But you can still get that early in the game.
Perhaps we should add a prerequisite to that ability so you need to have, say, require you to have "Master of Boarding" first.
That'd at least delay the appearance of this feature until quite a bit later in the game, no?

Edit: Also, should towns captured FOR the pirates get a governor at all? Right now, he's being hidden as soon as you give the town to them.

And has anyone EVER seen ANY non-player ships fire their cannons AT a fort?
I haven't seen any of that in my tests. Did it ever happen in earlier game versions at all?

Last edited:
Back