• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Making Town Capture Boarding Locators

Thanks Talisman for working on the locators. We should have more motivated people like you. :doff

I'll second that :onya

I have noticed that Talisman is quite the "Captain Fixit" not only fixing problems but helping players when they get stuck.
And lapsing into Brit-speak for a moment "Bloody good job mate - nice one Cyril" (you will need to be of a certain age to get the Cyril reference).

Thanks Talisman you're doing a sterling job. :doff :doff :doff

Those "weird textures" you see floating are single polygons that are part of the boarding locator GM file.
A GM file MUST have SOME geometry, so they added this small bit; however, it apparently sometimes shows up which it shouldn't.
The solution could be to make it use a different texture file that is alpha-mapped to be invisible.

No soldiers or soldiers on the wrong spots are probably the same problem:
The boarding locator files ARE there, but the locators need moving to more sensible spots.

The black screens are a result of the locator files not existing at all.

For the missing loading screens, please try attached code files and see if anything appears now.
Also, can you please check if Spanish/Portuguese forts get their correct nation-specific model textures now.
Did they get them before? I don't think so, but I'm not sure...

:doff

I have not noticed any difference in the Fort textures - appearance for Spanish/ Portuguese ones ( must admit I was not looking ). I will look more closely - due to attack Grenada soon.

I will try the loading screens code and see what happens

At the moment I am testing the new locator files I have created just to make sure they work.

I think I may have found another Bug ( but need to check with a few more attacks ) -> If you capture a town / Settlement which does not have a fort - you can not take that town/ settlement for yourself.

Interface screen to allocate officers as Governor - Fort Commander fails. ( see attachments for Charlestown & Nevis Pirate Settlement - need to attack some more settlements to verify this)

You can still ransome the town or give it to another nation ok.

:cheers

Fort loading screens work. :onya :dance

Can't see any difference in the the textures for the Portuguese Fort compared to British or Dutch. :shrug

I was afraid so; we need to look at that one then. The Spanish/Portuguese forts should look VERY different; more yellow sandy stone and such.

Glad to hear the normal loading screens at least do work now. :woot

For some reason I now have a problem with Turks ( it was ok before ).

I destroy the Fort . Then Fight through the Fort & town ok . ( all loading screens ok )

When I have finished fighting and am about to enter the Town Hall - I get the loading screen ok - but then I just get a Black Screen - I can use F1 & F2 commands ok but nothing else happens. ( see image ) :shrug

Error log says there are problems with Loc_ai \ Lai_boarding.c & locations \ location_loader.c

:shrug

Attachments

• CC_Turks_Town_Hall.JPG
    CC_Turks_Town_Hall.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 228
Is that since using those files I uploaded? Any idea after what it stopped working??? :wacko:

Is that since using those files I uploaded?

:yes Yes - they have worked ok up till now - I have captured 12 Towns / Settlements without problems

Any idea after what it stopped working??? :wacko:

:no The last town I captured before trying Turks was Santo Domingo - Hispaniola ( no Problems there)

I have just looked at Turks ( walked through the town without trying to capture it ) Everything works ok. Go into Town Hall ok

Whenever I try to capture it the following happens - for last fight outside Town Hall I get the loading screen ( House in Jungle ) then do the fight - then get Town Hall icon top Left

But then I get the wrong Loading Screen - I get the Loading Screen for the outside of the Town hall ( House in Jungle - which I have just had) instead of getting the Residence Loading Screen - then I get the Black Screen. :facepalm

Does that happen in a new game as well or could it be something happened in your game that messed it up?
I'm really shooting in the dark here... :?

I think something might have happened in my game to mess it up.

I just played the capture of Turks through again using the original versions of your new files ( so no fort loading Screens ) - the game crashed again with the same error log.

Since it did not crash the last time I captured Turks - 2 weeks ago - I think ( hope ) it is my game that is messed up. :modding

I will try to capture the remaining Towns / Settlements and see what happens.

Though I may have to start the campaign again and do them seperately.

I have fixed the problem with Turks now & have captured it :ixi

It was my game that was messed up. :whipa

In Build 14 Beta 1 patch 5

I have gone through and fixed as many of the locator files as I can - there should now be no crew / defenders fighting outside the battlefield (underground or in the water). The same should also apply to the Player.

The situation now is:-

1. NEVIS - Pirate Settlement - Capture Works OK see problems with interface

2. NEVIS - Charlestown - Capture Works OK see problems with interface

3. GUADELOUPE - Pointe a Pitre - OK

4. ANTIGUA - St Johns - OK ( but only 2 crew in Port )

5. MARTINIQUE - ST Pierre - OK

6. BARBADOS - Speightstown - OK ( but no Crew in Port & 2nd Part of town )

7. BARBADOS - Bridgetown ( Bugged ) see below

8. GRENADA - Sao Jorge - OK

9. GRENADA - Smugglers Lair Leviathan Rock - Capture Works OK see problems with interface

10. CURACAO - Willemstad - (no Crew in Port ) - Capture Works OK see problems with interface

11. BONAIRE - Pirate Fort Palm Beach - Capture Works OK see problems with interface

12. BONAIRE - Kralendijk -OK

13. ARUBA - Oranjestad ( Bugged ) see below

14. CAYMAN - Grand Cayman - OK

15. ELEUTHERA - Governors Harbour - OK

16. ELEUTHERA - Alice Town Settlement - Capture Works OK see problems with interface

17. CUBA - Havana - OK ( but no crew in Port )

18. CUBA - Santiago - OK ( but only 2 crew in Port )

19. TURKS - Grand Turk - OK ( texture outside Town Hall forgot to mention this in previous post same as Port Royale & Havana - see attached)

20. JAMAICA - Port Royale - OK

21. HISPANIOLA - Tortuga - OK

22. HISPANIOLA - Port Au Prince - OK

23. HISPANIOLA - Santo Domingo - OK

24. HISPANIOLA - Buccaneer Camp - Boca de Hubon ( Bugged ) see below

25. PUERTO RICO - San Juan -OK

26. ST MARTIN - Philipsburg - OK ( but Port & 1st section of town No crew)

27. ST MARTIN - Marigot ( Bugged ) see below

Forts now have Loading Screens (see Pieter's file in Post # 83 above) :doff

PROBLEMS

BARBADOS - Bridgetown - I think this is just a missing Governor - Fort Commander to talk to.

After 2nd town fight in Suburb - think you are supposed to be transported to Governor / Fort / Prison Commander - but are just stuck in the same part of town ( get same location loading screen & are just moved to one of the gates - your officers now appear & the missing texture on the ground is there now there so I assume you have been transported to the normal model for this location instead of the Capture Colonies Model ) - you can fast travel to store/church/tavern etc but cannot leave buildings once inside them except by fast travel to another building.

In 2nd town location no crew - player fighting soldiers on their own.

ARUBA - Oranjestad - As Barbados I think this is just missing governor to talk to.

Sank all ships - Fight in Port - Transported to Town - can't move ( used A-D keys to move sideways slightly which fixed this ) - in town no one to talk to the Governor is in townhall (locked) can get inside only with Fast travel. Talk to Governor & he only has ordinary dialog - no Capture Colonies Dialog.

HISPANIOLA - Buccaneer Camp - Boca de Hubon

Made the missing locator file for this (shore08_lb.gm) - but still could not get it to let me land Troops. - I think the Boca de Hubon beach may not be recognised as the port of the Buccaneer Camp (perhaps the camp is just a Quest Location and not meant to be captured in Capture Colonies)

ST MARTIN - Marigot

I am still unable to destroy Fort - no hits shown or registered? - sinking all the French Ships does not seem to work either.

Capturing Colonies for Player - Interface Problems

You cannot capture any colony without a FORT for yourself - the interface to assign the Officers to Governor & Fort Commandant does not appear if you choose this option in the dialog with the Pirate Chief /Governor - see error logs attached to Post # 84 above. ( You can still give it to another nation or ransom it ok. )

The interface to assign an Officer to be the Governor & Fort Commandant is unstable and it is difficult to get the officer you want allocated (I am not sure if they have to have a certain level of skills e.g. Leadership or cannons - this might have affected it in my game). Also I once almost allocated the Governor I was talking to as the new Fort Commandant.:rofl - Would he have fired on me as I sailed out of the port. xD:

Officers allocated as Fort Commandant will leave your passenger List. Officers allocated as Governor stay on your Passenger list and can be allocated to additional towns - they only leave the passenger list if you allocate them as a Fort Commandant. (I have currently got one governor running three towns on different islands & two governors being Fort Commandants in towns on other islands and two governors who are still Passengers).

Returning to Towns you have Captured for Yourself.

This is bugged - you can go into a town you have captured from the jungle ok. If however you try to land at the Port then sometimes you will be transported to the Port ok and sometimes you will be transported into the Fort - there you will be attacked by masked men ( your people manning the Fort ) there is no way out, so you die. (see attached error logs for Martinique)

Money Received For Ransom of Colony

- The amount you receive is twice the amount in the dialog
- If you decide to take over the colony for another country - the colony is taken over & you also get the amount of money for the ransom (actual amount stated in dialog ) - not sure if this is correct or a bug.
- If you take the colony for yourself you don't get any money - you do get the daily amount of money from the Taxes ok.

No Crew at Certain Locations

This might still be a problem with Locators - not enough of them or Strange shape ( I have been playing with Visible locators and some of the loc ones are not the usual semi-sphere but long thin ellipses. So those locations might need more work.
- I don't know if the Mod takes into account my total crew (ship or fleet) against the Town Population when calculating the 4 crew vs 3 defenders, that could affect things. But for me the crew are always missing in the same places.

Listed are the locator files to fix things & included in the attachment:-

Shore08_lb.gm
Conport_lb.gm
DouPort_lb.gm
Doutown_lb.gm
ffport01_l_xb.gm
OXport_lb.gm
ConTown_l_papb.gm
StJohns_locatorsb.gm

Attachments

• CC_Turks_TownHall_Texture.JPG
    CC_Turks_TownHall_Texture.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 272
  • LOCATORFILES_FIXED.7z
    20.5 KB · Views: 209
I sent a PM to Pirate_KK on this one; here's to hoping he can help out. :cheers

BARBADOS – Bridgetown – I think this is just a missing Governor – Fort Commander to talk to

– After 2nd town fight in Suburb – think you are supposed to be transported to Governor / Fort / Prison Commander – but are just stuck in the same part of town ( get same location loading screen & are just moved to one of the gates - your officers now appear & the missing texture on the ground is there now there so I assume you have been transported to the normal model for this location instead of the Capture Colonies Model ) - you can fast travel to store/church/tavern etc but cannot leave buildings once inside them except by fast travel to another building.
– In 2nd town location no crew – player fighting soldiers on their own.
I've fixed the quest where main character must assault Bridgetown together with Danielle to free Clement. I didn't test ordinary capture though.

Capturing Colonies for Player – Interface Problems

... [and below]
That's all doesn't need fixing but finishing the mod - something I hadn't done yet through all those years... At least now I know that it requires even more work than I assumed - I didn't even realize that I can assign many towns to one governor.

pirate_kk

That's all doesn't need fixing but finishing the mod - something I hadn't done yet through all those years... At least now I know that it requires even more work than I assumed - I didn't even realize that I can assign many towns to one governor.

pirate_kk

Thanks for looking at it.

BARBADOS – Bridgetown – I think this is just a missing Governor – Fort Commander to talk to

– After 2nd town fight in Suburb – think you are supposed to be transported to Governor / Fort / Prison Commander – but are just stuck in the same part of town ( get same location loading screen & are just moved to one of the gates - your officers now appear & the missing texture on the ground is there now there so I assume you have been transported to the normal model for this location instead of the Capture Colonies Model ) - you can fast travel to store/church/tavern etc but cannot leave buildings once inside them except by fast travel to another building.

– In 2nd town location no crew – player fighting soldiers on their own.

I've fixed the quest where main character must assault Bridgetown together with Danielle to free Clement. I didn't test ordinary capture though.

pirate_kk

Does this mean that the work-around in the Standard Story ( Quest ) for the capture of Bridgetown can be removed, & we can actually capture Bridgetown by attacking the fort. :woot

Hey guys, I'm noticing a VERY BIG problem. When I take control of a town, about 2 weeks afterwards, I can no longer go into the town, all that happens is that I pop up in the fort with 14+ bandits attacking me, after I use cheats to survive that odd moment. I'm only allowed to go back to my ship via fast travel, and then, It shows my ship way out in the ocean. But then when I go into map mode, the ships right next to the island and it will show it there too If I go back into direct sail. I'm noticing this with Nathanial hawk and with at least 7 different forts. :shock This is clearly a very BIG problem (at least the biggest I've ever come across) and needs lots of attention, I hope you all can find the cause of this and can find a way to ultimately get rid of this bug.

That is BIZARRE. Sounds like the game somehow forgets those towns are yours. Can you post that one on the Bug Tracker, please?
Not sure when somebody can look at it; it's been a while since we had anyone to look at the Town Capture code. :(

Back