• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build New Fetch Quest for 3.3 Needs Testing

Yes contraband varies between colonies on the same island. I tested the fix on Hispaniola, which has 2 French, 1 Spanish, and 1 bucaneer colony.

The trustworthy perk will never happen. I am at level 24 and still do not have the advanced commerce perk. Just the basic commerce perk.

Look at the prices contraband sells for. It is impossible to make a profit at those prices.

Trustworthy is linked to "Rank 4" with any nation. Do you have a LoM?

Did you get one of those Tailor Fetch Quests yet?

I'm a Spanish Alfarez de Fregate and a French Capitaine de Corvette. I don not know what rank those are but the French one should be good enough.

I have not seen any fetch quests yet.

In that case, I wonder if that "Trustworthy" one works at all. Remind me tomorrow to give it a quick check.

It will probably work if you disable locked perks so you can get "Advanced commerce". ;)

I have the Trustworthy perk now - had to get my rank up to first lieutenant and do a number of ship hunting quests for the governor.
I must be doing something wrong as I cannot seem to find a fetch quest. Neither the shipyard or the tailor gives me the option and the inn keeper does not offer any advice - I have a ship that can carry 500 sandal?????
Got the long distance boarding perk OK from a captured captain - when "lets be civilized" dialogue option was used.

Any help on the fetch quests would be appreciated. I'm level 24 - the game is stable and Officers are appearing back in the taverns - haven't found one on the street yet???

The old books don't give the ability increase they used to give anymore - the ones for the perks work.

Had a smuggling run on Port Royal - worked OK. Treasure Quests all work so far - not that you get treasure much of the time - I noticed that they seem to be given to the same location a lot now - not so random anymore - not sure why.

I am play testing so the perks will remain locked as intended.

I have not seen any fetch quests but just recently started looking for them.

I have found officers in the taverns and on the street. It is kind of a shock when it happens on the street as it is rare.

The books do not seem to do anything. I gave them all to one officer and nothing changed. Even items do not seem to work well. When I give an officer the sextant, chronometer, and compass I expect him to get +3 in sailing but he only gets +1.

On that smuggling run were you able to make a profit? I quit doing it because I kept losing large sums of money.

Yes, the whole game is very repetitive as the merchants keep sending me to the same places again and again.

Hylie,
No the smuggling run didn't make any huge profit - I needed it to clear out the hold to try find a fetch quest - I read on one of the forums that you needed to be able to carry 500 sandal - or around the 2100 cwt of cargo space.

Forgot to note that I have the same issues with the other items not adding to the officers abilities.

Last edited:
A fetch quest requires 2100cwt of cargo space? That requires a class 5 ship! I can do that easily but someone runnoing around in a frigate would be SOL.

Just checked the code in quests_common.c - the requirement for hold space seems to have been removed by Levis. Pieter had noted that the fetch quests are dependant on the in game colony changes - Malaria etc. Tried to do get a fetch quest on the Pirate Settlement (ravaged by fire) but still no luck - got there within 20 days - may not be implemented for this colony.

Bug hunting is the only reason I've left perks locked. Next release (or if I revert to Beta 3.1 or a previous Beta 3.2 WIP) I'll disable that "feature".

I don't think ship hunting quests are necessary to unlock "Trustworthy". I've done one, perhaps two in the current campaign. But repeated attacks on Portuguese ships have earned me several promotions from Spanish governors and that got me the perk unlocked. Of course, it's useless unless "Advanced commerce" is also unlocked...

I've been looking for fetch quests and haven't seen one yet.

The only smuggling run I did was both quick and very profitable. Quick, because the smuggler told me to go to Rocky Shore, which is where I'd parked because Port Royale's fort would have objected to my Spanish flag, so all I had to do was walk from the town to the beach. Profitable, because I never paid for the cargo in the first place - it was the main contents of a pinnace which made the mistake of being near Grey Rock beach when I was about to leave Barbados. So when I'd sold the cargo to the smuggler, I walked back to Port Royale and sold the pinnace as well. :bird:

Some items, at least, do add to my Skills. I'm not sure which ones are doing what, and I'm pretty sure the book about boarding isn't doing much for my Grappling skill, but something is boosting my Sailing, Luck and Commerce skills very effectively! The main benefit of the sextant and chronometer is that if you have them both, you can see on the map where you are.

Street officers are indeed very rare and always have been. You can improve your chances, though, because what a random civilian says to you is determined when you first talk to him (or her). So before talking, save game. If the answer isn't "Not often do I encounter such a respectable person", reload and try again. You may get a different answer, but it probably still won't be that one because it's very rare. If you're determined to recruit someone, you may be there some time...

For the Fetch Quests, keep an eye on the Tavern News.
Look out for:
Fetch_Shipyard_title {#stown# is expanding the warfleet}
Fetch_Shipyard_entry {The governor of #stown# has ordered the shipyard to create new ships for the warfleet. This will require a lot of resources so chances are some of these are depleted.}

Fetch_Tailor_title {#stown# is expanding the military}
Fetch_Tailor_entry {The fortcommander of #stown# is drafting new people to join their army. This will provide the tailor with a lot of new work and might deplete some of the resources of the island.}

Fetch_Smith_title {#stown# wants new weapons}
Fetch_Smith_entry {To fight better the governor of #stown# has decided that all weapons should be checked and improved. This will probably make the smith use a lot of resources and they might need some help.}

When I was testing last month, I did get the Shipyard one, which triggered and worked fine.

The skill-increase from items should be no different from before. I don't recall any related code being touched.
Note that not all item skill modifiers are actually visible in the Inventory screen on Realistic Game Mode.
More specifically, Jewels, Indian Artefacts and Minerals DO increase your skills in Realistic Game Mode, but this is hidden by default.
This to make the "superstition" elements of this more believable. Only high-level books are obvious about their skill effects.

Treasure Quests are 100% random. That means you could randomly get the same one very frequently.
There is no relation to previous Treasure Quests at all.

The destination for Trade Quests depends on your national relations and those of the other nations involved.
You won't get any Trade Quests for towns that are enemy to the trader's nation and/or yourself.

You don't need to do Ship Hunting to gain points with a nation.
Just get a LoM and start attacking their enemies at random. That'll work. :yes

Thanks Pieter,
I was looking at when towns had a fire or other major issue (Indian attack) - there has been none of the Fetch type notices in the Tavern News in the whole game so far - up to level 29 without cheats in realistic mode - hence I didn't know where to go. Are the fetch quests given a high rarity?

I have been relying on trade quests, Treasure quests and sale of guns and blades to keep the finances happening. Trading is so different now, I never know where to go to make a profit. In Beta 3.1 and before, I relied upon Gold and Silver trading to make a profit until I got the Trustworthy perk- had no luck at this in B3.2 so far with the way I play the Game.

I had Sao Jorge with Mahogany at 935 coins, sell price, on my colonies page - went off and got mahogany at 340 coins and sailed back - a couple of ship battles but not more than 3 months elapsed, when I got there the sell price was down to 320 coins??? It makes an important part of the game very disappointing. For any trade system to work (realistically) you need to have an agreed price or near to it. The game achieved this in previous versions by not changing the basic cargo types relative to an Island and relative pricing for that particular Island throughout the game. Maybe I am missing something in the new version.

The rest of the game play is great now. Crashes are very few and the balance between land and sea battles seems about right for the player difficulty level I run at - highest. Levis has done a great deal to improve the game and I love the fetch quests with a rival idea - just haven't been able to get one.

Pieter,
Hope that work on ship is going well and acknowledge that you probably don't have much spare time. Any pointers will help.
Looks like having the Books etc hidden on the ability screen means that the ship class that an officer can handle does not seem to change change with the ability bonus from the books.

Now at level 15, I've seen one entry in the logbook about some colony expanding the warfleet. It was very early on, possibly there right at the beginning, so I didn't have a chance to go there without wrecking the storyline - the first few quests in the "Assassin" story have tight timelines. I haven't seen any more of those titles since.

It occurs to me that locked perks are a bit silly anyway. You hire an expert quartermaster with Commerce 10. He really knows his stuff, being such a good bargainer that he could talk all four legs off a donkey and then persuade it to go for a walk. He knows everything about trading. Except that because you haven't found out how to unlock "Basic commerce" or "Advanced commerce", he doesn't know the first thing about commerce either. Or a gunner who has spent all his working life behind the guns, has Cannons 10 and Accuracy 10, can put an entire salvo dead centre on a tartane at 100 yards, who hasn't a clue how to become "Professional cannoneer" because you haven't found the book. The higher price for perks is fine, it means you won't get the whole lot until you're an obscenely high level, you have to choose which perks you want and rely on officers to fill the gaps. Locked perks means they can't fill the gaps.

Grey Roger is right about the locking idea. It seems that this was to add a bit of added difficulty and immersion into the game which is a great idea. Having officers that you hire not limited would be useful particularly in the early stages of the game when it is most needed for good gameplay. May be it would be a good thing to use the naval academy to retrain/refresher courses to maintain the perks when you earn / pay for them - but say once per game year. Alternatively, you must go to the Naval academy to earn the perks in the first place. The officers would have them available depending upon your own skill level with some rare ones with better perks as is the case with the code now but unlocked so it is worthwhile tracking down and finding a good one to get ahead in the early stages of the game.

Just some ideas to ponder on. I still have not seen a fetch quest - now on level 30 and actively looking for them and trying most Islands. Haven't been to Cartagena yet though.

These are the conversations I wish we could have had months ago, but there just was not time to properly play test the new ideas at that time. :facepalm

I only feel a need for the land combat and commerce perks. The others are just to make the game easier. Now that my commerce skill is 10 I am making money just fine without the extra perk anyway.

I saw those warfleet and expanding colonies rumors early on but have not seen any more in a very long time. Methinks I have 8 perk points saved up in case they do show up again.

Naval Academy? The only one I know of is on Antigua and my relationship with the English is -77. It is not worth the bother to go there.

Last edited:
There's also one on Guadeloupe - you have to go there if you're doing the "Elizabeth Swann" quest. Unless you've upset the French as well. :D

I was looking at when towns had a fire or other major issue (Indian attack) - there has been none of the Fetch type notices in the Tavern News in the whole game so far - up to level 29 without cheats in realistic mode - hence I didn't know where to go. Are the fetch quests given a high rarity?
Don't think so. When I tested it, I got one right at the very beginning of the game.

Back