• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Period Weapons

Bartolomeu sent me some new weapons for the next modpack release. I reckon that with those added, we'll definitely have enough weapons.
I never did see the point of having a gazillion different weapons. The way I figure it, it adds a little more variety at the expense of being a lot more stuff for the player to scroll through.
periodaccuracy would of course clear up that problem making some weapons unavailable in some storylines, but i like it when I can have an inventory filled with all kind of stuff :doff
of course finding a correct one may be frustrating i get it- but i like to have lots of stuff to scroll though :cheeky .......

Best choice would be option to select either "all items" or just periodaccurate ones from advanced options but that may be infernal thing to do......

or better items-menu with more categories like "pistols and muskets", "armors" and "swords" as separate inventories there under weapons category(like there is separate category for weapons and maps etc. under inventory itself) - that would make it easier to find them... but may be hard to mod.....

oh and tarred leatherjacket could be one more "armor" since those provide protection from cutlasses etc. bit off-topic there but one more idea for future :keith

We're trying to work ourselves sort-of to getting something finished, so we're trying to not do too much new stuff and finish what we have instead.
But getting the Period Weapons Mod working is definitely one of the things I DO want to get done eventually.

First, I made a small update for the Assassin and Bartolomeu Main Quests.(For instance, seeing there is no grenade during the Spanish Main Period, I removed it from the Bartolomeu' Startstoryline.c and so on...).
These main quests are now compatible with the time period weapons mod.

The other file called Time period weapons includes an initItems.c for each period. It could be used by anybody wanting to play the main quests with the time period mod. My idea was to install a specific initItems.c in each Storyline\items folder and remove the one in the PROGRAM\ITEMS folder but I've had some problems.

However, when Beta 2 is released, anyone can save the initItems.c in PROGRAM\Items somewhere else and install the right initItems.c I made.

Some testing would allow to know if the values I chose for each blade are correct.

btw: The saber only appears from the Colonial powers but seeing the Town soldiers use the saber, I've had to let it in all the periods. However, in the first three periods it is only present as unique blade to avoid seeing it in the shops for instance.

That's great, Bartolomeu! Don't be surprised if you STILL find those sabres everywhere though. The "unique" code doesn't seem to work properly. :modding

I may try to do something with it when I'm at sea, but can't make any promises. My time will be limited and it might be beyond my also limited coding abilities. :facepalm

Try it, Pieter :yes and give me your opinion these next months about the values I choose for the blades. We need the best gameplay for this mod. :yes

To Pieter:

From now on, I will play (over the next months) my storylines with the specific initItems.c I made. When you're back, maybe I would have some new suggestions.

To Hylie Pistoff:

Good. :onya
Seeing you're modder, it won't be hard for you to test the files I let in the post #184 and #176. :yes

They are installed, but this will take a while. Morgan Terror is also changing the values on some weapons. Have you looked at what he is doing?

i am most certainly not changing weapon stats. i have, however, changed a few discriptions, but they're part of another file. i would like to point out that i changed the second falchion into a machete though (by name), and the smallsword and remaining falchion share the same inventory icon (which i haven't fixed).

i found another falchion. there's the stock falchion, the smallsword icon falchion, and the one i renamed into a machete.

Bart O Port: I started a new game (NH) in the Golden Age of Piracy ( 1680-1739 ). The first thing I noticed was that my sabre had no quality description. It just said saber. The next item came on deck during the tutorial with Malcolm. First you are to practice hitting him. I got negs for striking an unarmed man. Then came the part where we spar. He did not draw his sword and I ended up a Bloody Terror! :dance I also got no skill points. Next we went to shore and I noticed that no one had any weapons except for the soldiers and I. In the merchants shop I bought an average merchant blade and equipped it. My sabre disappeared. When I went outside everyone suddenly had weapons! :yoho Soo, could you change the starting weapon to a cutlass or something? :j2

PS: When picking up random objects if one picks up something with a blank screen with description like "blade39", leave it. It causes a permanent error.

Also, this is awkward looking.

Bartolomeu removed period-incorrect weapons from his files. Probably the game gives errors because characters are set to use the wrong weapons.
This'd need to be addressed for all characters that have weapons.

Another character that needs to get their weapon changed is the strange priests. It appears the Maltese Knight sword is gone.

Bart O Port: I started a new game (NH) in the Golden Age of Piracy ( 1680-1739 ). The first thing I noticed was that my sabre had no quality description. It just said saber. The next item came on deck during the tutorial with Malcolm. First you are to practice hitting him. I got negs for striking an unarmed man. Then came the part where we spar. He did not draw his sword and I ended up a Bloody Terror! :dance I also got no skill points. Next we went to shore and I noticed that no one had any weapons except for the soldiers and I. In the merchants shop I bought an average merchant blade and equipped it. My sabre disappeared. When I went outside everyone suddenly had weapons! :yoho Soo, could you change the starting weapon to a cutlass or something? :j2

PS: When picking up random objects if one picks up something with a blank screen with description like "blade39", leave it. It causes a permanent error.

Also, this is awkward looking.
Interesting... I will play a bit this main quest this week. Of course, we need to give another blade to Nathaniel Hawk. In the Golden age of Piracy the saber is still an unique weapon. Before Saturday, I'll release a small update for this main quest.

Back