• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Pirates Odyssey: To Each His Own

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heartily believe in Blackmark Studios. Their work is good and it shows. This seems to be a problem with their publisher (AKELLA).

I REALLY hate to bring this up but am familiar with the industry........... some publishers these days get paid by others (competitors) NOT to publish or to delay publishing......I sincerely hope this is not the case but with all the current

hype with other games of a similar vein right now I would not be surprised. Indeed it is the sudden burst of activity with piratey offerings coming out of the woodwork everywhere that made me decide to postpone my own development of a commercial game endeavor....possibly indefinitely. I want to and still have lots of promised funding so I will see how things pan out for everyone first....and then I'll make something a bazzillion times better...LOL :monkeydance

I truly hope I am wrong and am sure Joruba will keep us informed on the current status soon.

MK

Actually, something like AC 4 could indeed be the reason for a delayed release. But probably more because AC 4 will take steal the limelight anyway.
After all, as good as "PO:TEHO" might be from a gameplay point of view, the engine it is based on isn't that different from the 2003 PotC game.
So who is going to be buying PO:TEHO?

I also believe that AKELLA is the reason for the delay of the English Version. It seems that they have lost any interest for English game versions since some time. Even their English speaking Homepage isn´t reachable anymore and it looks like they don´t care about that at all. I don´t think that they get paid by others (competitors) NOT to publish or to delay publishing of POTHEO. In my opinion that kind of games just can´t be sold enough worldwide. This might be more a game for Insiders and it looks like AKELLA is pleased enough with the Russian Community. But i still believe that POTHEO will be released in English till Christmas and that they are just not in a hurry. If it is going to be sold on DVD, i will buy it 100% for shure because i´m always collecting these kind of games. Otherwise i will find a steamless version and burn that one on a Verbatim Gold Archival Grade DVD with lifetime durability ;)

Last edited:
i'll buy it, but if its not as good as they've been boasting, ill never buy another one of their products again. i like the transition from CoAS to GoF and waiting on MK's "Era's" as well as goin to try go get the newer GoF version, cuz im always interested in seeing the new stuff thats come out, like weapons, trinkets, new towns, ect. just wish i was mod savy on how to do all that. cuz i have SH4/5 no mods done yet, but would love to do it for SH4 dont know how tho.....and no youtube tutorials show how to either. from the PO: TEHO trailers and other clips ive seen (just wish the vid makers on youtube that did the 30/45 min vids on how to play would speak english as well.)
:sail:nerbz:popcorn:

Do you have any links to videos of PO:TEHO by any chance? I don't think I've seen much of it yet and am rather curious.

Interesting; looks like they got Different Flags working in CoAS. That's cool.
And that French pennant I'm seeing looks strangely familiar. I'm pretty sure that's Thomas the Terror's work. :cheeky

Interesting; looks like they got Different Flags working in CoAS. That's cool.
And that French pennant I'm seeing looks strangely familiar. I'm pretty sure that's Thomas the Terror's work. :cheeky
I wish! But it does resemble it, since they are using the French Merchant flag I reckon.

But i still believe that POTHEO will be released in English till Christmas and that they are just not in a hurry.
Tbh recently i started doubting, and Jorubas response isnt rly encouraging, they might even given up on english release, as we have no news or responses at all. All in all pretty bad moves by Akella as usual, just don't understand why anyone does buisness with those guys.

Not releasing an English version, even if the files are already made, is pretty stupid.
Doesn't cost them anything to make it just a digital release, so even only a handful of sales would be some profit.
And you never know; perhaps there'd more more sales than they'd anticipate.

Not releasing an English version, even if the files are already made, is pretty stupid.
Doesn't cost them anything to make it just a digital release, so even only a handful of sales would be some profit.
And you never know; perhaps there'd more more sales than they'd anticipate.

Indeed it would be rly dumb, but its obvious that there is some kind of problem, from Jorubas post, and general lack of absolutly any information on game.
There was also i think DLC supposed to be released, this also did not happen, and i now have doubts that it will happen anytime soon, thou summer aint over yet.
In any case, we'll see.
In all honesty i hope i'm wrong.

I think the English Version of POTHEO will be released some day for shure, just NOT when we expect it to. This kind of delays are typical for AKELLA and the Russian mentality as we know already very well from AoP2. They can tell brilliant stories and really make exciting games but they principally take all the time in the world that they want to for that and don´t give a damn what others think about. They ONLY give something to others if they are in the mood for it. Personally i can absolutely accept this kind of lifestyle as i have already been living for 8 years in Portugal and had to arrange myself with the little bit similar southern mentality. What they didn´t finish today will be done some other day when they want to. I only don´t like people at all that are always telling me what they will do and never show up with any results. That is really unnecessary and makes a hell out of a waiting time! :(

Last edited:
Well, I'm all for making it as good as it can be before releasing. That's better than brining another bugfest into the world.
But in this case, I thought all the work on making, fixing and translating the game was already done.
So it is a bit of a mystery. Oh well.... :shrug

DLC for the Russian version of PO:TEHO will be released the same time with the English version of PO:TEHO.
DLC will be included to the English version of PO:TEHO at once.

Forgive my ignorance but... it looks exactly the same as COAS and POTC o_O (I know you said it uses the same engine) but still.. wouldn't this be equal to say selling EA's NFL games? They're the exact same thing with minor changes here and there (teams, playbooks, graphics, etc)? So why would they bother competing against AC4 (despite Ubisoft using the same engine and majority of the same mechanics while adding new ones)? I mean don't get me wrong I'd buy it if it were a lot more upgraded. I'm not saying "er mer gerd, graphics are all that's important of games today!" type speech, but if they could upgrade their engine somehow, or use another one and try to 'modernize' the game a bit more while keeping the RPG element they do so well, I think sales would increase drastically.

If its budgets that's holding them back to the same type of game, then I don't know. I would try outsourcing (more if they aren't already) to see if you can get a better product for a decent budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back