• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

-= POTC MOD IDEAS =-

What about sea monsters? sure anyone can weather a storm or blow hell out of any pirate foolish enough to cross them. But how would you handle a sea serpent, or a Kraaken? or even a giant squid? great if this could be put into the new map under dev, much more room to have em moving about, could have one of each say roaming about.

I think the encounter shouldnt even have a new loading screen, it just drops you to the sea map like it sometimes does amd you can see this THING in the distance. lol. Would this even be possible? it would add another new dimension to the game.

Speaking of animals, the only aquatic creatures ive seen are sharks, what about dolphins or whales? Sea turtles on the shores at some point of the year for laying? no practical use but sure make the world a bit more believeable eh?

<!--`QuoteBegin-Whitehawk`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whitehawk)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What about sea monsters? sure anyone can weather a storm or blow hell out of any pirate foolish enough to cross them. But how would you handle a sea serpent, or a Kraaken? or even a giant squid? great if this could be put into the new map under dev, much more room to have em moving about, could have one of each say roaming about.

I think the encounter shouldnt even have a new loading screen, it just drops you to the sea map like it sometimes does amd you can see this THING in the distance. lol. Would this even be possible? it would add another new dimension to the game.

Speaking of animals, the only aquatic creatures ive seen are sharks, what about dolphins or whales? Sea turtles on the shores at some point of the year for laying? no practical use but sure make the world a bit more believeable eh?[/quote]

More believeable like sea monsters??? :p:

Well I am glad that there is not too much magic (skeletons) and other unrealistic stuff in the game.
I don't think that Sea Dogs 2 would have had any strange supernatural stuff in it either. :)

but maybe a seamonsters option, maybe a toggle like:

"Captain, Have you heard the stories, they speak of a dangerous beast in the caribean!"
then you say:
"I don't believe in `fairy-tales`." to put them off, and something else(don't have any ideas right now) to turn it on,...

I expect that adding seamonsters would be a very long and quite possibly an impossible job.

1. You have to make completely new models for the monsters instead of modifying current models.
2. You have to create animations for those monsters from scratch as I'm pretty sure that there are none suitable in the game and I believe that so far no one has got the capability of making new animations. I could be wrong but they could be in the DLLs and we can't really modify those without a proper tool kit or develpment tools.
3. You have to intergrate all of those into the game.

There is also the possibility that the game engine just can't cope with it.

It might not be possible to add any new animals mythical or real into the sea as I seem to remember a post that said that the sharks were mosty handled by DLLs.

how about swapping one of the shark models witha model of the nautilus, not really a monster, but im sure it seemed like a monster to the ships that it sunk

Seeing whales would be really cool. Although I am not quite sure what that would accomplish, `game-wise`.

I'd also like to see pelicans flying around - and hanging about the docks. They are (were) a fairly prevalent bird in the Caribbean.

Something I've wondered about - in the modded game there is a "cormorant" that you can sometimes find when you are plundering - and it means bad luck? I think is supposed to be an albatross (from Coleridge's Rime Of The Ancient Mariner)?

<!--`QuoteBegin-Khalkaroth`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Khalkaroth)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think there was a mof that allowed the caps to be removed,...[/quote]
Where?

I had another thought - well, actually, I am now playing POTC beyond the original main quest. I had captured Silehard and returned him to Redmond to the new governor for a HUUUUUUUGE reward and a letter of marque (NICE TOUCH!!! :mrgreen: ), and then thought, I should return Clement to the lighthouse and maybe cut Danielle loose.

So I can't "fire" either of them... Perhaps something could be arranged so they could go off on their separate ways? Clement back to his inventions, and Danielle to sail the Caribbean stirring up more trouble???

I could give her a ship to sail away with... ???

Maybe this could become a new set of side quests - with her meeting up with Nathaniel again in other places and suggesting they go somewhere to do something?

Is someone working on this? (just curious!)

Good point Catalina, Couldn't fire them either.It would not be difficult to add a string to remove those two characters from your passenger list after main quest is finished,maybe Nathan has already done that :|:

I know they're set removable, but, not liking to fire people without warning, I didn't uncomment the removal bit. At least IIRC that was included in KFleshman's original mod?

Besides, per the ending cutscene, firing would be the last thing on Blaze's mind I should think.

But it's easy enough to add a dialog option to them both about that ("Time to go our separate ways" or some such).

<!--`QuoteBegin-NathanKell`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NathanKell)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Besides, per the ending cutscene, firing would be the last thing on Blaze's mind I should think.[/quote]

<snicker> Well, you're assuming that I, the one running this guy Nathaniel around, actually *likes* the Danielle character. But I don't, not really. During the main quest, she's a terrible troublemaker and not in a good way, IMHO. And if Nathaniel is going to be a landowner and maybe marry some governor's daughter or niece or something like that there (haven't gotten *that* far yet!), then Danielle is just another officer I've been paying to do not much of anything. I have officers whose stats are absolutely OUTSTANDING - and Danielle's aren't much at all.

If I could drop off Clement at the lighthouse, and give Danielle a ship to go away on - maybe it would leave the storyline open enough so that any modder interested can create other quests that involve her later on.

Just a suggestion. It was something that was on my mind, no real need to go through any trouble about it. I just wondered, that's all. :p

No, I agree, it's all about choice. :)
And it wouldn't be that hard either; i.e. she hangs around wherever you leave her off (and same for Clement).
I'll get to it. :d:

Here's another question (ya hatin' me yet, Nathan?) (LOL!) -

Could there be a compass onscreen when you are on foot running about an island?

I have moments when I come out of a pitched battle with some dastardly dudes and look around and think, now whereintheheck was I going??? :)

yeah ya really got a be a good scout and remember those landmarks or look for the signs on the trails :):

I'm usually good with maps and remembering landmarks, but these islands all look the same in most cases.

LOVE the Isla Muelle back paths tho, (Mephisto quest) - GREAT to see a DIFFERENCE in the surroundings when you are running around. Like the waterfall on Douwesen.

Those must have been made by Akella before Disney sunk their HOOK into the game... :)

Has ye seen de swingin' bridge connectin' de 2 sides o' de Frenchie island? :d: Makes Fred Bob wonder what been intended thar? :)

Yeah Fred Bob reminds me of the one we have in Vanouver over the Capalino River.When I was a kid my buddies and me would try to get it to swing as hard as could,man that was fun :):

On Faleise de Fleur. You talkin about the bridge you walk over, or thee bridge you sail under.

Back