• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Remus77 Postillionen

Lol, got there in the end, at least! I'm guessing it turned out to be a locator group mix-up, right?

What's the problem with the hull?

Yeah, the sails were named wrong and they were numbered wrong and and, I don't remember all of the gory details. They were flat because they were named "sailf" and "saild" works best. They were backwards because the locators were assigned wrong. They were triangular because it took me a bit to figger it all out. :confused:

The hull needs to be smoothed out. It has many sharp edges like the old AOP ships do. Also the walk file has the crew going up and down the ropes facing the wrong way. The path has a problem in that you spawn on the poop deck and can go down the ladder to the main deck, but then you can not climb back up to the poop deck. This is actually a nice ship and deserves to be finished with a flourish.
She is longer and sleeker than the corvettes so I'm making her fast and slow turning with a decent hold size. This will be a popular ship.

So I guess the hull mesh wasn't smoothed before it was exported. At least will be easy to fix using Maya at some point.
I've seen crew climbing the shrouds the wrong war round before, and I'm still not sure why it happens.
That's a weird problem with the path file, too. It should be more obvious what the problem is once it is viewed in Maya.

she is not a brig, brigs always have two square riggeed masts, never three masts. you could call her a 6th rate, a corvette, a sloop of war? she should be a class 6 vessel at any rate. maybe a yellow and black color scheme would be good? or wood/brown and black?

Umm, we have ship rigged heavy brigs in POTC. The Neptunus is one.

How many of these ships do we want? It is easy to paint, so we can have as many as we want. National colors for all nations?

she is not a brig, brigs always have two square riggeed masts, never three masts. you could call her a 6th rate, a corvette, a sloop of war? she should be a class 6 vessel at any rate. maybe a yellow and black color scheme would be good? or wood/brown and black?
I'd use the term "post ship," since it's a rated vessel.

Post ship? Would that work for the Neptunus, which is about 2/3rds the size of the Postillionen? In POTBS the Postillionen is called a frigate. I could not find any other references to her.

The Neptunus is a new ship with nothing from other ships. The original ship rigged heavy brigs could be wrong. I'm not sure how to create a new ship class, so always try to use existing classes.

I dont know why a new class would be needed, in terms of ratings like 6th rates 5th rates etc. Do you mean with a new name? like 'medium 6th rate' for example, rather than 'ship rigged heavy brig'; the class name? yeah I meant the original ship rigged heavy brigs, the neptunus just has an inccorect name, while the other does in fact have the stock brig hull, but can't be a brig anymore cause it was rerigged with 3 masts.

A post ship is any rated vessel (20 or more guns) too small to be considered a frigate. The smallest vessels that were considered frigates were usually 28 guns in the Napoleonic era, and possible 24 guns during earlier time periods. Post ships could also be classified as corvettes, although corvettes generally had between 24 and 28 guns.

The short answer is that a post ship carries between 20 and 24 guns, not counting chasers or quarterdeck and focs'l guns.

Gmornin. :doff I've got 8 versions of the Postillionen now and am tinkering with them. Links will be coming later.

These 2 ships seem to be from around 1720 or so. The Neptunus is a Privateer from Ostende. That is all I know about it. It's not a brig or a sloop or a frigate. So, what is it? It's bigger than a brig and smaller than a frigate. I'm tempted to call it a balanced ship rather than a military ship.

The Postillionen has a hull as large as a light frigate but the armament and crew of a brig. To me she fits in between the light frigates and the light frigate based Indiaman both in cargo size and armament. In fact she is only slightly longer than the Greyhound with 2 less guns. Could she be some sort of balanced ship as well? What other small ship classes are there in POTC?

More ship class names can be defined in RESOURCE \ INI \ TEXTS \ ENGLISH \ Common.ini (scroll down until you find '; Ships').
They can then referenced using the 'refShip.SName' line in ships_init.c, so we are not limited to using existing class names. ;)

Of those colour schemes, I like numbers 9, 10, 18 and 19. The others look slightly strange, but that's just my view.
Maybe it would be good to replace the original blue one with one of the above? They look much nicer and more realistic.

Also, I reckon the pennant on the mainmast is too thin to see what colour it is; could you make it a bit thicker, but keep the length the same?

There are 8 versions total. They are the original blue and a generic one in posts above and:
9: My attempt at English colors
10: French colors
12: Spanish colors That didn't work eh?
13: Portagee colors I'm just trying to get some white in there somewhere.
18: generic wood and black
19: Dutch colors
Perhaps the No.7 above would work better as a Spanish ship? I'll keep tinkering with the Portagee version.

Well they said they wanted a ribbon and that is what it is. One of the others could be fattened.
Oh yeah, they are now 6th rate frigates. So far there are no other ships in that class, but the Greyhound and Raa can be added.

9& 10:it would be even better if the black along the gunports was swapped with the yellow or red respectively on the lower part of the hull, so the british version has yellow aling the gunports and the french red. not sure about the realism of the red in the 1720s for french ships, but it might work:onya
18:looks great! I mightve reversed the black and wood areas, but how you have it now turned out really nice
19: looks pretty dutch to me!

Using No.7 as a Spanish version works for me. Maybe for the Portuguese version, you could use the Dutch version and repaint the green stripe to white? (where is that 'shrugs shoulders' smiley when you need it?!) All the others look fine for their respective nations, I'd say. :onya

About the 'ribbon': I just think it looks out of place next to the shorter, thicker pennants. If it's realistic though, I'll not complain.

Back