• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Remus77 Postillionen

Gmornin. :doff I've got 8 versions of the Postillionen now and am tinkering with them. Links will be coming later.

These 2 ships seem to be from around 1720 or so. The Neptunus is a Privateer from Ostende. That is all I know about it. It's not a brig or a sloop or a frigate. So, what is it? It's bigger than a brig and smaller than a frigate. I'm tempted to call it a balanced ship rather than a military ship.

The Postillionen has a hull as large as a light frigate but the armament and crew of a brig. To me she fits in between the light frigates and the light frigate based Indiaman both in cargo size and armament. In fact she is only slightly longer than the Greyhound with 2 less guns. Could she be some sort of balanced ship as well? What other small ship classes are there in POTC?

Hi,
Great job on the colour schemes I like them, :onya

Corvettes are designated as fast vessels carrying 20 light guns or less on a single deck, which means that the Postillionen (1701) and Neptunus (1720 - 1730) could also be considered as Corvettes. They both historically carried armament of the same calibre (6lb) and were built for speed.

The Royal Navy used the term Sloop of War to describe a Corvette although I have seen Ship Sloop and Sloop used as well which can be confusing.

Privateers are vessels built for commerce raiding and could be anything from a single masted sloop to a large warship; for example the Mordaunt 1681 was a 46 gun Privateer before being purchased into the Royal Navy and Captain Kidd's Adventure Galley was also a Privateer.

Privateers were usually backed by a sponsor or sponsors who would pay for the construction and fitting out of the vessel and expect to make the money back when the privateer captured prizes. The crew are not payed a normal wage but out of shares from the Privateering venture with the majority of the prize money going to the owner.

Hope this helps,

:cheers

I would still have preferred the ribbon to be fattened, but they look fine to me. :)
The pennants' texture looks inaccurate to me; are they meant to be like that (i.e. personal flags), or is that a mistake from somewhere?

I wish I had noticed this before, but the lateen yard seems to have the reverse lighting bug. :facepalm

I have been tinkering with this ship again and have noticed something. It begins with the figurehead critter. It uses one texture called "customtest" that has the white with eyes for the upper body, scales for the lower body, and a light wood texture for the hand rails behind it. This is all well and good as it includes all the hand rails along the ship.

The problem is that it also includes the ornaments on the stern, the lanterns, and the ships bell.
POTC new 2015-07-06 01-07-15-77.jpg POTC new 2015-07-06 01-07-51-40.jpg

I never sailed this ship for a long time because the walk file was messed up, but now that it has been fixed this is my main ship and the wood textures are jarring. Is there any way to repair this?

I'm not sure I understand the problem. The screenshots look fine, though perhaps everything that should be gold has got a rather wooden colour.
Is that what you mean?

Yes. The lanterns and ships bell are made of wood. It is a very light colored wood, but still wood.

Assuming the lanterns and bell are part of the same object as the rest of the gold wooden parts, the best way to change this would be to separate those parts in Maya and assign proper metal textures to them.

Or, if we're lucky, the lanterns and bell might be mapped to a separate part of the gold texture, in which case some trial and error in Photoshop (or similar) could reveal their location on the image and you could recolour those objects by adding bits of metal to the texture itself.

I've tried both methods on different ships before, and the first one is probably a better fix.

Well I was wrong. The hand rails are not part of the figurehead. I changed that texture and the other stuff did not change. So the hand rails and lanterns and bell all use the same texture, but I can not find it in the GM. I now have no idea what texture is used or what it is called.

Look at the pics in the first posts to more clearly see what I am talking about as to textures.

Back