• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fix in Progress Repairing Bad Ropes

Just a thought:
"PiratFrigateExSat" looks almost the same as "Frigate1" when viewed from the side. Perhaps make it a little more distinctive?

There's no rush. We're not being paid for any of this, it's all for fun, so do what you like when it's convenient. Though I do look forward to seeing what you do with the ship...

The main difference between "Fleut2" and "FleutWarExSat" is exactly that - I copied the spirally decoration on the gunport stripe from "bortoutfleut3.tga.tx". So decorating the stripe should work nicely on your ship as well. Go for it!:onya

I started working on the new texture for "PiratFrigateExSat" and wondered,
how the ship would look if the whole stripe had the spirally decoration from "bortoutfleut3.tga.tx"

ExSat.png

Isn't that pattern supposed to be one single of them in the vertical direction?
It seems a bit like over-the-top Christmas decorations now, but I can't deny it's an interesting look. ;)

Isn't that pattern supposed to be one single of them in the vertical direction?
It seems a bit like over-the-top Christmas decorations now, but I can't deny it's an interesting look. ;)
Yes, "bortoutfleut3.tga.tx" has a single line of this pattern.
And yes it is over the top, i just did it to see how it would look like.

Maybe i am too late for Christmas. :xmas

I added one line of the spirally decoration to "PiratFrigateExSat":
side_line.png

And added a red line to the bow of "PiratFrigateSat":
bow_line.png

Here are the new texture files for "PiratFrigateExSat" and "PiratFrigateSat"! :dance

Attachments

• RESOURCE.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 179
If you do want to do more on the ships, it may be worth pointing out that the stern of the stock game "Frigate1" was very similar to the present Kreyser "Frigate1" - same cabin window frames, same little dragon under the frames on the sides, same decorations above the frames on the stern. If you imagine "Frigate_Sat" with the same windows as a Kreyser, you'd have a good idea of what the stock "Frigate1" looked like. So I wonder what a Kreyser with the same windows as "Frigate_Sat" would look like...

But that's just speculation. It's your ship, so if you're happy with it, it can go in. :onya It's already sitting on the drive which I use for the updates, ready to be uploaded as part of the next archive.

If you do want to do more on the ships, it may be worth pointing out that the stern of the stock game "Frigate1" was very similar to the present Kreyser "Frigate1" - same cabin window frames, same little dragon under the frames on the sides, same decorations above the frames on the stern. If you imagine "Frigate_Sat" with the same windows as a Kreyser, you'd have a good idea of what the stock "Frigate1" looked like. So I wonder what a Kreyser with the same windows as "Frigate_Sat" would look like...

But that's just speculation. It's your ship, so if you're happy with it, it can go in. :onya It's already sitting on the drive which I use for the updates, ready to be uploaded as part of the next archive.
I had thought of that when making the ship.
But making the same windows as "Frigate_Sat" for the Kreyser satanist frigate would require Maya, wouldn't it? :shrug
Because unlike "Frigate_Sat", the Kreyser class frigates have 3D windows and cabin.

Also i don't have Maya unfortunately, so i don't have experience on it, although i could try if i had the program.

Maya should not be needed. The cabin is part of the model and is already there. The windows are transparent because of the alpha channel, which you can edit in Photoshop. If you look at the alpha channel of the Kreyser texture, you'll see black patches corresponding to the glass, and that's why the windows are transparent.

Update: ignore all that! :oops: I was travelling and reading the forum on a phone when I posted that, so couldn't check the files on my PC. What confused me is that "bortout" textures usually contain a whole profile of the ship, so you can do anything you like to the ship's appearance, including making parts invisible with the alpha map. Then there are other ships which do everything in the model; the texture file just contains some basic areas of colour and the model uses those to shade various parts. The Kreysers seem to be a combination, so the texture file is fully detailed for the hull and some parts of the stern, but not for the window frames.

So "PiratFrigateExSat" can stay as it is.

Last edited:
Maybe i could add the stern of "Frigate_Sat" on top of "PiratFrigateSat" and "PiratFrigateExSat" with the TOOL and make the bortoutfrigate_sat.tga.tx transparent on everything except the stern and cutting holes for the windows?
I don't know if this would work and it seems a bit extreme to me, but who knows?

That could work - you'd basically make the entire "Frigate_Sat" model into another component like the "deck" files on some other ships, then add a locator to "PiratFrigateSat.gm" to place it. Whether the "Frigate_Sat" stern would fit, even with a bit of resizing, is another matter...

Otherwise just leave it as it is, unless you want to add some more customisation of your own.

Back