• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fix in Progress Repairing Bad Ropes

Maybe i could add the stern of "Frigate_Sat" on top of "PiratFrigateSat" and "PiratFrigateExSat" with the TOOL and make the bortoutfrigate_sat.tga.tx transparent on everything except the stern and cutting holes for the windows?
I don't know if this would work and it seems a bit extreme to me, but who knows?

Right now i am away from home, so i don't have access to my PC and files.
When i get back home, i will try making this.

Hope, i succeed. :pflag:ship

Unfortunately, the TOOL didn't even allow me to save the model, but even if it allowed me it would not be promising. :modding

The only way now is Maya i think, if we want the stern of "Frigate_Sat" on "PiratFrigateSat".

Did you try to import the "Frigate_Sat" model as an extra component of "PiratFrigateSat.gm"? Or did you put a copy of "Frigate_Sat.gm" into the "PirateFrigateSat" folder and add a geometry locator to "PiratFrigateSat.gm"? I can easily imagine the first of those causing TOOL to object, but adding a locator should be easy enough.

As an extra component, then removing"PiratFrigateSat.gm" and then if it allowed me to save, i would have added a locator in the center of the ship.

I will try with just the locator but i don't know if it will look good. :shrug

That makes sense. Editing the base ship model with TOOL has caused problems in the past, which is probably why many ships have files named "deck", "part" etc. containing various added details. ("FR_SoleilRoyal" probably has an interesting history; the base "FR_SoleilRoyal.gm" shows up blank and the visible hull is "FR_SoleilRoyal_part1.gm", placed by a geometry locator in "FR_SoleilRoyal.gm".)

Adding the stern as a separate file plus a locator in "PiratFrigateSat.gm" should not look much, if any, different to if it were added as a component - it's still the same additional model.

As an extra component, then removing"PiratFrigateSat.gm" and then if it allowed me to save, i would have added a locator in the center of the ship.

I will try with just the locator but i don't know if it will look good. :shrug

That makes sense. Editing the base ship model with TOOL has caused problems in the past, which is probably why many ships have files named "deck", "part" etc. containing various added details. ("FR_SoleilRoyal" probably has an interesting history; the base "FR_SoleilRoyal.gm" shows up blank and the visible hull is "FR_SoleilRoyal_part1.gm", placed by a geometry locator in "FR_SoleilRoyal.gm".)

Adding the stern as a separate file plus a locator in "PiratFrigateSat.gm" should not look much, if any, different to if it were added as a component - it's still the same additional model.

I meant that, i don't know if the models will match up nicely regardless of the method used to add the stern.

"FR_SoleilRoyal" probably has an interesting history; the base "FR_SoleilRoyal.gm" shows up blank and the visible hull is "FR_SoleilRoyal_part1.gm", placed by a geometry locator in "FR_SoleilRoyal.gm
Indeed @Armada waged a big war to get that ship in the game at all.
He needed workaround upon workaround to get her working.
Was a very, very weird model.

Yes, I had a bit of fun with "FR_SoleilRoyal" myself - see post #131.

Looking back through this thread, altering a base ship model directly with TOOL (apart from adding or changing locators) seems pretty well guaranteed to end badly. If TOOL doesn't crash outright then the ship model is messed up so that it beeps and gives errors in "system.log" in the game. "FR_SoleilRoyal" didn't even let me add parts to the yards with TOOL, I had to use separate files and geometry locators for all the pulleys I wanted to add.
I meant that, i don't know if the models will match up nicely regardless of the method used to add the stern.
You can resize the stern part with TOOL, and by playing with the YY, YZ, ZY and ZZ values of the geometry locator, you can tilt it. Hopefully you can get it to fit.

I made a texture that is only the figurehead of Frigate_Sat:

fig.png

Should i replace the dragon figurehead of PiratFrigateSat with the figurehead of Frigate_Sat or not? :shrug

It does mean the model may then effectively be three entire ship hulls sailing on top of each other - the main hull, the mostly invisible one for the stern, and the mostly invisible one for the figurehead. Try it in the game and see if it works. If so, use whichever figurehead you prefer - the "Frigate_Sat" figurehead or your own red dragon. Either one is fine by me. It's your ship, so it's your choice. :onya

Back to the issue of dodgy ropes, and while playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk", I noticed this on the flushdeck frigate:
boussole_rigging_orig.jpg

See how the two pairs of ropes meet at points, forming a "V" and an inverted "V", with the points about a foot to the right of the gaff? They're probably supposed to be tied to the gaff, like this:
boussole_rigging_new.jpg

While I was at it, I upgraded the pennants from the short ones like the stock game, to long ones similar to more modern ship models. Old, new:
boussole_pennants_orig.jpg boussole_pennants_new.jpg

Download the attached, unzip, and copy into "RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships\FR_Boussole". You can also put renamed copies of the files into "RN_Razee" and "FR_Razee" to upgrade the repainted versions of the same ship.

Attachments

• FR_Boussole.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 265
Unfortunately, the game crashed with the figurehead of "Frigate_Sat", so "PiratFrigateSat" will stay as it is, with the red dragon figurehead and without the stern of "Frigate_Sat".

"NL_Batavia" had a couple of bad ropes. "ropeb511" and "ropeb512" didn't go anywhere. I had a look at the ship to see if it was missing anything:
nl_batavia_old1.jpg nl_batavia_old2.jpg
The lateen spar looks a bit devoid of rigging. Other ships with lateen sails have ropes from the lower tip of the spar to each side of the hull, which is where "ropeb511" and "ropeb512" are, so I added "ropee511" and "ropee512" to the spar. At the top end, other ships show a rope leading up to the mizzen mast, so I added that as well:
nl_batavia_new1.jpg nl_batavia_new2.jpg
What I can't add is the port shroud on the mizzen. Adding "vant" locators would be easy enough, but there's a support platform for the shroud on the starboard side and no corresponding platform on the port side.

"NL_Batavia" had a couple of bad ropes.
The REAL Batavia has a bit of a rigging problem too:
batavia-replica-lelystad.jpg

:( but :rofl and :facepalm

They're actually trying to raise one million euro's to basically SAVE her.
She can't stay in the water forever without a proper careening (or dry docking) and it's getting pretty due.
But they don't have the money for it: Steun De Batavia - Batavialand

The lateen spar looks a bit devoid of rigging. Other ships with lateen sails have ropes from the lower tip of the spar to each side of the hull, which is where "ropeb511" and "ropeb512" are, so I added "ropee511" and "ropee512" to the spar. At the top end, other ships show a rope leading up to the mizzen mast, so I added that as well:
Nice! Always good to have Dutch ships (or ANY ships, really :wp ) looking better than they did before. :onya

What I can't add is the port shroud on the mizzen. Adding "vant" locators would be easy enough, but there's a support platform for the shroud on the starboard side and no corresponding platform on the port side.
That sounds really, REALLY weird.
Would that just be an element to be added?
I wonder if that's something @Jack Rackham could do...

Adding the platform can't be done in TOOL unless an identical platform can be found as a separate component on a different ship. On "NL_Batavia.gm", almost the entire hull is one component including all the platforms. If another ship has a suitable platform, I can add it myself, otherwise it needs someone to work on "NL_Batavia.gm" with Maya.

I think @Jack Rackham has cut out pieces from existing models before.
Maybe the Batavia GM itself could be copied, hull removed, platform kept and then mirrored all with the TOOL?

Not sure what viable options there are, but Jack's creativity is pretty substantial! :cheeky

Nice @Grey Roger!!! :cheers

The REAL Batavia has a bit of a rigging problem too:
batavia-replica-lelystad.jpg

:( but :rofl and :facepalm

They're actually trying to raise one million euro's to basically SAVE her.
She can't stay in the water forever without a proper careening (or dry docking) and it's getting pretty due.
But they don't have the money for it: Steun De Batavia - Batavialand

Nice! Always good to have Dutch ships (or ANY ships, really :wp ) looking better than they did before. :onya

That sounds really, REALLY weird.
Would that just be an element to be added?
I wonder if that's something @Jack Rackham could do...

This is sad, hope that this beautiful ship gets saved at some point.:(

Some models are made from multiple components. Deck files adding detail to old models are like that; you can add (or remove) parts in TOOL. I did something of the sort to create the deck file for my fast galleon. None of the separate capstan models would work, so I started with the deck file for a different type of galleon entirely, moved things around to fit the fast galleon, and added another deck gun. To get that extra deck gun to match all the others, I made another copy of the other ship's deck file, deleted everything except one gun, and saved that as a new file. Then I added it as a component to my deck file.

And some models have just one or two components which include everything. "NL_Batavia" is one of these. If you remove the hull, you remove almost everything else at the same time, including all the shroud platforms.

Back