• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fix in Progress Repairing Bad Ropes

I have been looking at the HMS_Surprise. This is the film version and indeed has a lot of missing textures. All of the GMs are from 2011 except the main hull GM which is from 1-19-2014. Does anyone know who did what then?

I don't remember about the Surprise. Is there anything in Build Info.txt by any chance?

Batch renaming of GM files is relatively easy.
There is a program called "The Rename" that I used for it in the past.

Perhaps you would be interested in doing the Constitution? As near as I can tell there are only 3 versions, the US, RN, and FR versions. The RN and FR are called battlefrigates. All I changed were mast1m mast2, and some locators on the main hull GM.

OK made a start on the Constitution - (well actually would have finished but....) it's not straightforward because for some reason the existing BattleFrigate GM (there are 3 US,RN,FR ) does not have the same file structure in the main model as the USS_Constitution (either the one in PotC or your new one from COAS - which do match each other) - so that leaves a bit of guesswork about which textures to rename in the main model (there only seem to be a couple) - anyway done that - I guess you can view the result(s) when I post them to see if there is anything glaring I have missed or screwed (I'm still just changing code here).

However the FR and RN rey models in game have elements (that you didn't alter anyway) which currently used dcUS.tga rather than the more logical dcRN or dcFR (both of which do exist) - since they were left before I suspect there is either a good reason or it doesn't really matter (because there are no wooden elements in those models?) - either way although my natural tendency would be to change them all for consistency I don't see wasting the effort if it's not required. I'll await your view on the model(s) so far - I'm only posting the altered three elements in each case

EDIT BattleFrigates removed this was Not the right hull model
Dropbox - USS_Constitution.7z

Last edited:
USS Constitution does need to be different from the Battle Frigates.
Specifically, she has her name in the stern as she's a unique quest ship.
Not sure if her rigging was meant to be different too; I don't think so.

You can change those deck textures too if you like.
Might as well be different for them all, no?

USS Constitution does need to be different from the Battle Frigates.
Specifically, she has her name in the stern as she's a unique quest ship.
Not sure if her rigging was meant to be different too; I don't think so.
OK just read the earlier Constitution thread from when the four variations were built and it is clear the BattleFrigates although originally based on the Constitution were remodelled as a different generic ship with a different hull model incorporating several differences - so changes to the USS_Constitution do not necessarily apply to them. As far as I can see the rigging locators were copied so those changes on the mast may apply. I'll try dropping the altered masts in and see what transpires.

I have removed the BattleFrigates from my earlier post because they clearly would be wrong with the USS hull shoehorned in - however I am still a bit confused because the battlefrigates in-game show the stars and eagle on the stern whilst the earlier thread seemed to have a texture to black them out - maybe that was dropped at a late stage? EDIT - My mistake the rename I gave them did not work so I was seeing the ones where I had put in the USS_Constitution - so naturally the stars etc were there END EDIT

Last edited:
Oops. I forgot that the ships are indeed different, but only in the deck and bow. It looks like you are slowly sorting it all out ok. :onya

On another note it looks like the boats on the Connie are the same ones that are on the HMS Surprise except with better textures. Of course the modelers who did that would not remember how it was done and what textures were used.

On the Surprise it seems 2 systems were used. One was started and then replaced with a better system, but the old system was left in place. So all the bad ropes are gone and only the bad texture calls remain.

Let's try that again a couple of the model files I missed saving the changes somehow - This time I have checked the bad ropes are gone on all three!

Attachments

• SP_Neptunus.7z
    302.5 KB · Views: 140
  • PO_Neptunus.7z
    150.9 KB · Views: 128
  • NL_Neptunus.7z
    150.9 KB · Views: 131
I tried a different solution but it didn't work out so well. Methinks I will wait for an expert to wander by.

Attachments

• POTC FX 2015-11-22 09-34-31-03.jpg
    POTC FX 2015-11-22 09-34-31-03.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 154
I think there is an older modpack version with that same boat model without crew in it.

Well I found something. It isn't centered or laying on the beams but I can fix that. I can also add 1 or possibly 2 more.

POTC FX 2015-11-22 11-04-49-47.jpg

Ha! I just learned something new! How to resize things. Now there is only room for the one boat, bit it's a big one.POTC FX 2015-11-22 11-33-25-46.jpg

Last edited:
:ahoy here are some more "cleared for action" (of bad ropes that is).

As before only the required replacement elements are here - special today there's a bonus US_enterprise with every 5 WarGalleons. :cheeky

Attachments

• US_PrinceNeufchatel.7z
    745.8 KB · Views: 139
  • SP_Manowar.7z
    5.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 5WarGalleons.7z
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
A bonus boat? Cool. You are really knocking them out. :cheers

I now have a clean Surprise in both ropes and textures. Methinks this boat is a keeper too. Now to cleanup the rigging. :nerbz
POTC FX 2015-11-22 11-50-39-07.jpg POTC FX 2015-11-22 11-52-16-82.jpg POTC FX 2015-11-22 11-53-51-87.jpg

Very :cool - Will you be able to put it further off centre and fit its twin too - or is that too much icing?

I'll stop searching for the missing textures then.

EDIT This is the current state of affairs I think

Attachments

• Bad Rope Ships.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 183
That shows a lot of progress! This is really moving along well.

Hmm. I don't know if another boat will fit or not. The boat is almost 2.5 meters wide and the hole is about 5 meters wide.

You guys are doing quite well here; thanks a lot for working on this! :cheers

Another batch

Attachments

• Hoys.7z
    1.5 MB · Views: 137
  • SloopBermuda_mast2.7z
    32.4 KB · Views: 129
  • sloop2_rey_b2.7z
    1.6 KB · Views: 129
  • SchoonerXebec.7z
    50.6 KB · Views: 136
  • SchoonerWar.7z
    10.3 KB · Views: 131
  • RN_RevengeW.7z
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • RN_RevengeM.7z
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • RN_RevengeF.7z
    1 MB · Views: 131
Another batch
I just know I'm going to lose track of all the latest correct versions.

How about I give you the login details for the FTP and you can have them all posted in one folder there instead of attached to many separate forum posts?

Fine - It would allow me to correct any more easily if (or when) I find I have messed up. Are you happy for just the changed elements in each folder rather than moving unchanged stuff back and forth across the ether?

Do I still need to zip them?

Back