• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved The compass in sailing mode

Skyworm

Privateer
Storm Modder
Heya Gentlemen,

before I ask my stupid question now, please let me tell you that I am really impressed to find such an active modding community here 9 years after the original game was sold. I recently installed Build 14 and it is amazing what you did to that old game!

Ok, now to my problem.
I am not happy with the compass in sailing mode. To me it seems just too small to be functional. The letters indicating the main directions are unreadable small, just the N for north seems to be significant by red colour. But, when the wind blews exactly from north or south, and the N is overshadowed, I simply can't say which direction I'm moving in.

Now I understand there are several compasses in the advanced options, but changing them seems to have no effect to the view of the compass in sailing mode. Don't know what they actually change.
This goes also true for the "old looking status radar" in realism settings.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there simply no way to change this?

Ah, I'm using Build 14 Beta 2.2

Great thanks to anyone who anwsers!

On default settings, if you buy a better compass from the item traders, you will get the improved functionality.

If you don't want to have to search for a compass item, you can also use the Display Battleinterface setting in the Options>Advanced Options menu.
Set it to "Depending on the settings in the options menu" and it should be back to normal.

Now that was a quick answer - thank you.

Ok, this works, but only for a newly started game. This setting does not effect a game that I just load after doing the ghange. Also, first loading and then changing options doesn't work. The "resume" button is greyed out after going into the options.

That greying out of the Resume button is to prevent worse bugs from occurring. Make a save before opening the Options menu, change your settings, then load your Save again.

Not entirely sure if that will change it in your save-game though. If it doesn't and you want to continue that game anyway, just get yourself a compass.
If you're having trouble finding it, post again and I can post some code that will give it to you straight away.

As you level up better items will become available in the stores and street merchants.

The best way to learn? Ask dumb questions and get smart answers like Pieter's.

Great thanks, the both of you.

No was to start a new game. I'll get myself a better compass.

I do have another question, but to another subjekt, I'd better open a new thread fpr that.

You can also ask it in this thread; keeps our trouble-shooting for you together. ;)

Heya again,
since I am about to start a new carreer now, I do have some questions since I stumble over these matters.

1)
I tried out the "Tales of a Gea Hawk". Now I realize, that good Natahniel uses this red pirate flag, showing an arm and hand, holding a cutlass. I instead greatly prefer the classic skull and crossed sabres. Is there a way to change this, by menu (which I must have overseen than), or by modding?

2)
Since I become very familiar with iron man, direct sail and open seas, I'd love to do this from the very beginning. But I miss a chronometer, and sextant and good compass to do so. Of course, I can cheat myself money, and run around and buy such things ... but I'd prefer to have them right from the beginning. Is there a way to give them to me?

3)
And, most important ... is there any way to individualize my characters appearance from the very beginning, without trying the tailor a hundred times?

4)
And, related to 3), some character models are changed when wearing armor. While it is really hard to play without armor, I admint I don't like the look of them. Is there a way, to prevent the characters appearance to change, when wearing armor? (I loked a bit into it,. it seems that there are many variants of the same character model, one without armor, and one with each given type of armor.)

5)
What exactly is the difference between Apprentice, Jorneyman, Adventurer and Swashbuckler?
I of course understand that's the difficulty level, but what exactly changes to make it more difficult?
And, is there a level on which neither me nor the enemies have any significant advantage?

Great thanks for all hints.

I can answer some of these things.

1) That is not actually a pirate flag, but is the PA flag. You can go onto your ship deck and talk to a crewman about flags. This will give you a selection of flags to choose from. Or you can go to F2 then relations to give yourself a pirate flag. To choose another pirate flag after that will require someone else to say how.

2) Methinks one can get these items in the console and/or in internalsettings.h. I cheat and use the world map.

3) Methinks that can be done in the console.

4) It might be possible to rename a model so that the one without armor is used.

5) The differences in the levels are mainly in the abilities, skill levels, and health points of your opponents. The price and quality of goods are also different. One also advances more slowly at the higher difficulties.
I don't think there is a point where everyone is equal. There is a lot of randomness built into the game so that one opponent might fall easily while the one next to him might kill two of your officers before falling. I have one game going where I am at level 42 in Shwashbuckler mode and I still need to be careful as I can still be killed.
The trick is to level up quickly enough to stay ahead of your opponents. Have you tried tatoos yet? The opium den is on Jamaica.

Great thanks.

1) works well, thank you. How could I miss this feature?

2) and 3)
Ah ... what exactly is the console?
Ok ... found it .... thanks, I think I understand how it works ;-)

4) That's an idea, I shall look for that.

5) Thank you again, that answers it very well. I think I should try Adventurer now.

1. There are quite a few features that perhaps aren't very well-known. Check the "Build Info.txt" for a comprehensive list, though that might be a bit difficult to wade through...

2. Did you manage to have the console do this for you yet?

3. Easiest is to change the character model in PROGRAM\Storyline\[Storyline].c
Console will work too.

4. Alternatively, open PROGRAM\Models\initModels.c and find the _A1, _A2 and _A3 entries for the model you're using.
Remove those entries, load the game and press F11 to reinitialize. There should now no longer be any model-swapping going on.

Heya Pieter,

yes, I find them one by one it seems.

And yes, I did manage the console now. Very useful this is.

I will try this thing with the armors out when I have one. At the moment, I have not. Carreer just begun.

Thanks.

And yes, I did manage the console now. Very useful this is.
To be sure! It's better than the best cheat. Especially combined with windowed mode game so you can type and execute whatever you want during the game. :cheeky

I will try this thing with the armors out when I have one. At the moment, I have not. Carreer just begun.
My suggestion doesn't require you to restart your career. Just make the changes in initModels.c, load your savegame, press F11 and voilà.

Heya Pieter,

My suggestion doesn't require you to restart your career. Just make the changes in initModels.c, load your savegame, press F11 and voilà.

I understand., What I tried to say is ... I will do this when the problem occurs. At the momentI simply do not have any armor, because I really just started a new carreer. I didn't see armor at any merchant now, and would not have the money to afford them, too. I will look into this when I get armors. Which may happent today.

But now there's another question.

In my new carreer, I notice a difference from my others. I figure this may be because I'm now playing on Adventurer, in my others it was journeyman I think.

It is about those things floating ion the water when doing direct sailing. In the past, I found there some amounts of wares, say, lailcloth or sandal or whatever. While I do not remember the exact amount, I thzink it was never ever just nothing.

And that is what I get now. Lookout says there's something drifting in the water, and I turn my ship and gather it, and then it reads "we got 0 cwt of sandal". In fact, I haven't found anything else but "0 cwt" until now in this carreer.

Could this be because of adventurer level now? Other optio is, it is because of 2.3

Edit:
I just encountered a boat. Usually, this gives a small bonus on fame because you rescue people.
This time, nothing happened. Is it possible, that with 2.3, there is just nothing "inside" those things one finds floating on the water?

If your hold is already full then you will not pick up any floating goods. Usually it says something like " can't pick up linen because hold is full". I can not confirm or deny this as I have also started a new game and have not bothered to pick up any floating items.

When you encounter a boat and you have a full crew nothing happens and the boat just disappears. You can only rescue people if you have room for them.

Ah ok, thanks.

That's true for the boat then, but not for the cargo. I had plenty of free space there, and the message read "picked up 0 cwt of", and nothing about holds are full.
The precise message is "You've got 0 cwt of Ebony" in that case. And there was space in hold.

So far today I have not seen any floating goods.

I am playing the Blaze Devlin time period and so far I have seen one pirate fleet at a distance and evaded them, but have seen no others. There have been no battles of any kind around any ports either. It was nice and quiet until I picked up a treasure quest and captured a pirate ship at that island. Overall there are plenty of ships around, but none of them are hostile to anyone else.

Yes, ships both hostile and friendly are encountered here, too. Playing golden age "tales of a sea hawk", but not following the story, just playing free.

Encountered a ship without masts, got a message of collecting some jewelks, but did not get anything.

Back