• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved The compass in sailing mode

I did, and where there any jewels, I'd found them, because I usually don't carry jewels with me.

And I just realized something else.
I'm doing a lot of smuggling in this new carreer. From my eralier carreers, I remember there wer both soldiers on land and ships chasing me, when we were caught.

No it seems the ships are missing. I usually jump in my boat when the soldiers appear, but there are no ships hunting me, except my very first smugling. There were a sloop. But since then, no ships.

Tried again, this time I fought the soldiers on land (survived thanks to godmode cheat). But again, no ships chasing me.

Is it possible that I bugged the smuggling and chasing by patrol boats in my first smuggling run?
There, this happened:
We traded, and were cought - soldiers approaching. I (at that time alone and without any officers) jumped in the boat and set sail. A patrol boat was there attacking me. I fired with chain, to disable sails and escape. Then, they struck colours. I saved the game, and tried to board, but did not stand a chance against the captain in duel. Thus, I reloaded and then made my escape, not bothering about the colour struck patrol sloop.
Could this possibly cause the whole patrol boat thing in any further smuggling runs to bug?

Because, since then I never ever again encountered a patrol boat when smuggling.

Edit:
Perhaps this is not the problem. I just tried again to smuggle, and this time used another savegame from another carreer. Again, soldiers appeard, but no patrol boats.

I think I'll reinstall my game now, perhaps this helps.

Update:
Re-installed game. Loaded old save game. Again, no patrol appeared.

Started new carreer.
This time, patrol appeared.

Strange ... will do one further test.

Edit:
I suspected it being dependant on the flag. In my old game, I was flying portugese colours, who are almost with anyone at peace but with pirates. I suspected, for that reason no patrols appeared.

Because, in newly started game, I was flying pirate colours, and was chases by a patrol.

But, testing revealed:
Changing colours in both games did not change the situation. Still got no patrol in my old game, and still got one in the new.

Thus, it just seems that I managed to bug my old game somehow.

Will restart my carreer now. Being a smuggler captain without someone chasing him is boring ;-)

Thank you Hylie, and yes, this does sound familiar, but according to a problem I suffered earlier.

In my actual case, the game does not crash, or something else similar happens, it's just that patrol boats do not appear when they should.

To my understanding, it is this way:
When you smuggle, there is a roll based on your luck stat.
Success means no trouble at all, thus, no soldiers, no ships. You just get away with your gold.
Otherwise, you are both attacked by soldiers on land, and patrolling ships at sea. And with this new build, it seems it's not always soldiers, but sometimes pirates that are going after you (which, to mention it at this point, is good work, for it adds more realism and thus more immersion).

Problem with me was, that while I was attacked by soldiers/pirates on land, there were never ever ships that attacked me.

I just hope this will not happen again with my new started carreer and the newly installed game. ;-)

Oh well, here I am again, the same problem occured again. I am now very confident this is sort of a bug in b14_beta2-3_light.

With 2-3, there has been something done to the smuggling. Earlier, only soldiers would interfere whith smuggling, now it's soldiers or pirates. This is of course an improved gameplay, and more realistic. But, eventually on that occasion, the whole thing might be bugged.

Brief description:
The problem is all about the ship, that attacks the smuggler at sea, when he killed or escaped the attackers at the beach.
(if someone is not familiar with it: when smuggling is done, there is a chance to attract soldiers or pirates. They first go after the smuggler at the beach, and when this is done - both killing all attackers or just jumping into the boat and fleeing works - then there is also a ship that will attack you at sea.)
Now, the problems I actually face are all tied to that ship, which from now I will just call the "pursuer". With the pursuer, there are now 2 problems:

1)
That ship will never ever break from pursuing.To explain, some examples:
With 2-2, I used to get rid them off by just sailing away, and mooring at another bay on that island. By mooring and going on land, even if only for short time, the pursuer seemed to be resetted in some way. When I set sail again, it was gone.
Now with 2-3, it's different.
When I do as described above, the pursuer will wait for me in the very same bay where I went on land. Time does not matter, it waits there half a week later.
It will also pursue one to the port of the same island.
In one case, my smuggling at Bonaire caused some pirates to interfere. The pursuer, this time a pirate sloop at sea followed me straight into Kralendijk harbor. Due to some distance between the pursuer and me, it was not immediately destroyed by the fort. But - 2 days later when I set sail again, the pursuer pirate sloop was right beneath my ship, greeting me with a full broadside. It was still there, after some days. Then, it was sunk by one full salvo of the fort. ;-)
This of course is only entertaining, but does not cause any real problems.
But this one does:
The next smuggling run, it were not pirates, but soldiers interfering. Thus, I was at sea attacked and pursued by a portugese navy sloop. This sloop hunted me to Sao Jorge, where I went on land and no longer thaught about it. When I set sails again a few days later, the sloop was still there, as was the pirate before. This time, the fort did not interfere.
Now I did not want to fire cannons at a portugese navy ship right under the portugese forts 50 cannons. ;-)
Thus, I just fled and hoped to outsail the sloop. Well ... that nasty little pursuer followed me for hours of real time direct sail with open seas mod right up to Bonaire. Which I never reached, because ... the pursuer prevented any "sail ho" or "land ho" message. When I saved the game, it always read "La grenade waters". In fact, I would never ever had escaped that ship. (I am sure about this preventing of any "ho" messages. On such a travel, I usually get half a dozen of them, and this one time not even one. Also, I did reach Bonaire according to the map - my ships icon was right overlaying Bonaire - means I should have got the land ho message a long time ago. This usually happens before the island is actually in sight.)
This I consider a bug.

2)
The pursuer seems to cause another problem, and this is by striking colours. Of course, my first thaught with that annoying pursuer in the above example was to just sink or take the ship. But, before I could do that, it always struck colours.
And then, the real problem occurs:
When the pursuer once struck colours, there won't be a pursuer anymore in the game.
This means, the next time I'm doing smuggling and pirates or soldiers interfere, they will only do so at the beach, but there will be no pursuer. Never, ever, again. And yes, I did test this.

One may think that striking colours can be turned off. But -it actually *is* turned off, in advanced options, which does not prevent the pursuer from striking colours all time the tide of a battle is against it.

Workarounds:
I think I can do for now with an older savegame, and only play smuggling out, when I'm caught by pirates rather than soldiers. A pirate pursuer I can get rid off at the next fort. ;-)
Generally, I think the problem is about some trigger. There should be a way to "reset" this pursuer, so that it does not follow one up to the next island. Perhaps, a script that resets it (make it break off the chase) when a specific distance from the island is reached. When not using direct sail, this is perhaps triggered by hitting the world map. Which is impossible in my case, because I'm an iron man ;-)
Something is wrong with the smuggling, I'd be glad if one would look into it. Im am very sure it's since 2-3, because I never ever encountered these problems with 2-2, and trust me, I always did a lot of smuggling.

Thanks for any help.

I am no help at all with this smuggling thing. At level 13 I tried it. Met the smugglers and completed the deal just fine. There were 4 in my party and 3 smugglers. We were met by 7 sojers and I was unable to move or do anything until they ran up and talked to me. Then they slaughtered us. There were at least 3 sojers still standing when the last of us dropped. Now I remember why I don't smuggle.

EDIT: I just read your last post. I will never ever play Ironman mode because one can not use the World Map. It is absolutely necessary IMHO. It is needed to escape from storms, for example. Without escaping into the world map the storms just keep coming. My personal record is it took 7 storms to finally sink my ship.

There is no one around right now who could look into the code. Maybe someone who dos know it will wander by.

Heya. Yes, that would be precisely the same with mee - if I'd fought those soldiers. I don't. I just follow one of the most noble pirate and smuggler traditions: To run away. It is entirely possible, to just speed for your boat when the soldiers appear. Then just outsail the ship, hit the world map and off you go. But now with direct sail, open seas and iron man this is different. And of course the usefulness of smuggling is debatable ... just in this case, I decided being a smuggler is the entire roleplay idea about this new started carreer.

Nonetheless - I think the smuggling is bugged as described above. It is different from 2-2, these problems did not occur there.

Heya ...

EDIT: I just read your last post. I will never ever play Ironman mode because one can not use the World Map. It is absolutely necessary IMHO. It is needed to escape from storms, for example. Without escaping into the world map the storms just keep coming. My personal record is it took 7 storms to finally sink my ship.

Now that's fun that you speak of storms now, for this is precisely what I had in mind to mention in that open seas thread. But now I do here.
There are no storms in the way I actual play the game. Which is iron man, direct sail and open seas.
I do this since 2 weeks now, and I never ever found myself inside a strorm in the open seas. It looks pretty much as if they are switched off.
Storms are not out of the game though. The one and only storm I met in all this time, was one that was already raging when I went from port to ship. It raged a few minutes (real time) and then changed to just rough sea, storm over.
But I never ever ran into a storm when direct sailing in the open seas.

There is no one around right now who could look into the code. Maybe someone who dos know it will wander by.

Thanks. It is not an urgent matter, I can do other things than smuggling. I just thought I should mention strange things I stumble over when playing, so that they can be fixed perhaps sometime.

Huh! Storms happen to me. As soon as it finishes I go straight to the world map just to make sure I don't get caught in the next one. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Yes, I remember you mentioned this before somwhere else. I was curious about, because I know storms only in 2 occasions:
1) on world map - when I used world map travel, I ran into them
2) in harbour, before going to my ship, but I usually don't do this when there is a storm raging (as any real captain would do, too I presume)
But since I use that open seas and direct sail only, means - no world map - I never ever found myself in a storm.

Just having another queston, I use this old thread for that.

I am just exploring one of the bigger islands, Hispaniola, in direct sail 8+ Iron Man), and I don't find those damned bays. I reached the island from the southeast, and tried to anchor at both the soputheastern and the northeastern anchor place (can't read the exact names from the map). I sailed there up and down, but it seems I don't hit the spot.
I already wondered if it may be something with iron man, and switched it off, but even then it is not possible. I tried to fast travel there, but this is only possible with locations that one has already manually sailed at.
Nothing against this - I really appreciate it this way - but then it should be possible to sail to that locations. I don't find them. Any hint?

Thanks!

Edit: Found Boca de Hubon. Was a lot of sailing in that bay, but I found it.

Edit one more time:
I found two more, by using the arcade mode. Made it much easier to cruise around and find the right spot. I still did not find the anchorplace at the northeastern strand.

The anchorages should be there. It could be that some of them are only available for quest purposes though and not otherwise accessible.
I think there might be one of those on Hispaniola.

Ah thanks Pieter, that would explain why I am still unable to find the norrheastern anchorplace there.

Just one more question ... how do I increase my relation with the pirates faction? With all the nations doing jobs for them works pretty well, but I haven't found anything comparable for pirates.

Edit: Ah well, no further answer needed. I just found the governor at Grand Turks.

There is no way to do that, I think. You can join the pirates on Nevis if you have enough Fame.

Well, that governor on Turks offerd to improve my relations for a sum of gold. Now I am neutral instead of hostile.

Perhaps doing quests for pirates may help. I just met a strange fellow named Pieter Boelen in that tavern there wo asked me to gather some information about spanish invasion plans. :aar

Cheers and thanks!

Perhaps doing quests for pirates may help. I just met a strange fellow named Pieter Boelen in that tavern there wo asked me to gather some information about spanish invasion plans. :aar
I doubt that bastard is going to be much help to you on this.

Thank you Hylie. I already had some of these maps, and in fact I was mostly using the ingame maps of islands and such. Thus, I roughly know where the anchor points at Hispaniola are, the tricky point was to find them in game. I still did not find the one at Cape Francos.
These difficulties I only had at Hispaniola until now. Never ever had a problem with the islands of stock-PotC, or with the smaller new islands of New Horizons. For example, I perfectly found everything at St. Martin and Guadeloupe.
But I had lots of problems in finding them in that big Hispaniola, perhaps just because of the overall size of the island. Perhaps this makes it more difficult to get the precise location where to moore.

Nonetheless, great thanks.

Ah, bye the way, another queston, since I just saw these dungeon maps in your map pack.
Are these dungeons good for anything than melee experience?
I got a quest of sorts which hinted me to the Oxbay dungeon, and I expected to find there something of considerable value ... but besides the booty from slayn pirates, and the containement of some chests, there wa snothing really special about it.
But perhaps I do miss something there?

Tnanks.

Perhaps this makes it more difficult to get the precise location where to moore.
That might be possible. Are you having the same issues at Cuba?
From the looks of it, Cape Francos is not deliberately disabled for quest purposes. :shrug

Are these dungeons good for anything than melee experience?
I got a quest of sorts which hinted me to the Oxbay dungeon, and I expected to find there something of considerable value ... but besides the booty from slayn pirates, and the containement of some chests, there wa snothing really special about it.
But perhaps I do miss something there?
Just experience and loot. Some dungeons have got some relatively high-level weapons hidden around that could be a help early in the game.
You could try to visit the Bridgetown Maltese Knight Abbey. More danger means more experience and more loot.
And it'll be something a bit different from your run-of-the-mill dungeon. ;)

Back