• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved The compass in sailing mode

Cape Franco can be tricky. I believe there are actually 2 anchor points there depending on your quest. When looking there I start just beyond one end of the beach and sail along to the other end staying a ways out away from said beach. One anchor spot is at the Southern end and one should be around the middle.
There is another way also. Methinks it is in the console somewhere that one can turn on visible locators so you can see exactly where they are.

There used to be an excellent treasure quest guide, but it got broken when we moved here. There is a treasure quest in Oxbay Dungeon.

Heya!

That might be possible. Are you having the same issues at Cuba?
From the looks of it, Cape Francos is not deliberately disabled for quest purposes. :shrug

I haven't yet tried Cuba, but it will be the next target of my explorration I think.

Thanks to both of you.

Heya!

There is no way to do that, I think. You can join the pirates on Nevis if you have enough Fame.

Just found out ... once I had -30 with the Pirates (due to paying the "governor" of Grand Turk for better relations), I was able to gain an even better attitude by capturing non-pirate-ships while under pirates flag. But that didn't work before raising me to -30 by gold.

Heya!

That might be possible. Are you having the same issues at Cuba?
From the looks of it, Cape Francos is not deliberately disabled for quest purposes. :shrug

Now I have been at Cuba. I did not encounter any problems finding the anchor places there. All were pretty intuitive to find.

Just another question.

I am a bit puzzled by Tortuga/La Tortue.
I am playing the standard "Tales of a Sea Hawke" campaign, and I am wondering if La Tortue is a french port or a pirate port.

Well, the "colonies" menu sais it is french. And there are french soldiers in town, that make sit look french.
But, that Pieter Boelen (Quest-NPC) at Grand Turks asked me to transport him to La Tortue to ask the pirates there for alliance. So, it is a pirate port?
Also strange is, the fort does not fire at me on sight - which is strange. If they were french, they had any reason to sink me on sight ;-)

Thanks.

Edit:
Well, while colonie smenu and presence of french soldiers in town give it a french look, it clearly behaves like a pirate port.
1) Fort does not fire at me when I am sailing into the bay under pirates flag
2) governor is not french (from talk options)

*shrug*

Welcome to the wondrous world of REAL HISTORY! While Tortuga is fairly well-known as being a pirate haven, it actually WAS French.
But the governor there was very tolerant of pirates indeed. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortuga_(Haiti)
So we tried to simulate that in the game by having it be French, but the fort deliberately not firing on pirates.
Same occurs for Jamaica actually in the earliest time period.

The only storyline where Tortuga is REALLY a pirate port is the Jack Sparrow one.
After all, "Pirate" isn't really a nation, is it? Except in the Pirates of the Caribbean films, perhaps.

Thanks Pieter, I was aware that Tortuga was a known pirate friendly port, though I wouldn't have thaught it poissivle to translate this into a game engine. Great work.
And yes, I remember Tortuga being a real pirate port in the Sparrow campaign. I liked it very much.

Thanks Pieter, I was aware that Tortuga was a known pirate friendly port, though I wouldn't have thaught it poissivle to translate this into a game engine. Great work.
Turned out to be not that difficult. Just make it fully French with the fort not firing on pirates and you're done. :cheeky

Very interesting.

Oh, just another question.
I think about starting a new career, and I like to start in e a more modern era, so I aim fpr the Hornblower or Master and Commander campaign. Thaugh I don't want to bother about quzests and campaign at all, but just like to play free. I think Master and Commander may be better for this, because there already are no quests.

But, I'd like to try the french side this time, so the questions are:

1) How do I make myself friendly with them from the beginning?
(choosing the french flag in the start new game menu doesn't has any effect)

2) How do I get myself to a french island to start there rather than at Eleuthera?
I already know this should be possible with console, but I don't figure what exactly to put in to get there.

Great thanks.

Indeed if you don't want a story, you definitely don't want to use the Hornblower storyline. Master & Commander is much better suited. :yes

Open PROGRAM\Storyline\JackAubrey.c and PROGRAM\Storyline\JackAubrey\StartStoryline.c and adjust those as required.
Note the relation code lines at the bottom of that second file. You can create whatever starting condition you want by doing that.

Thanks, I'll try that.

What do I need to get another port ... better: What are other ports names?

I'd like to start at Martinique / Falaise de Fleur.
Tried to enter "FalaiseDeFleur_Port" beacause that way it is spelled in the locations folder, but that did not work (with console).

Try "Falaise_de_fleur_port_01" instead. Check PROGRAM\Locations\init for location IDs.
Note that you need to fill in the port and island name in a fair few instances in that StartStoryline file for things to work quite right.

Heya,

I remember smuggling being profitable.

Now I think it is the first time I vitnessed this:
Bought Ale at Jamaica for 60 / barrel, shipped them to Hispaniola, and sold them to smugglers for 63 / barrel. Huh?
I remember smuggling usually had a span of 2-4 times of the buying price. I am puzzled.

As far as I can tell, the multiplication factor is 1.5 in PROGRAM\DIALOGS\Smuggler_OnShore_dialog.c:
Code:
        case "Exchange":
            Pchar.quest.Contraband.Counter = 0;

if(GetSummonSkillFromName(PChar,SKILL_SNEAK) <= Rand(10)) // NK
            {
                trace(LanguageConvertString(tmpLangFileID,"Contraband transfer was interrupted by Coastal Guards"));
                AddDialogExitQuest("Rand_ContrabandInterruption");
            }
            if(FindFirstContrabandGoods(Pchar) != -1) 
            {
                Pchar.quest.Contraband.goodsIDX1 = FindFirstContrabandGoods(Pchar);
                trace(LanguageConvertString(tmpLangFileID,"FIRST CONTRABAND GOOD SELECTED TO TRADE IS:") + " " + goods[sti(Pchar.quest.Contraband.goodsIDX1)].name); 
                Pchar.quest.Contraband.price1 = makeint(GetCurrentIslandGoodsPrice(FindFirstContrabandGoods(Pchar))*1.5);
Perhaps the two towns' economies cause this effect?

You mean ... the specific economic situation of Port Royal and Port au Prince is responsible for that?
Can`t say about that. I'll look into rumors if I find anything about that.

But I have been smuggling a whole lot in this game, and in most of my previous games, and I don't remember to have ever encountered anything similar.

Edit:
Checked it. None of the ports involved appeared on the latest rumors, so at least there should not have been any desasters lately.

Edit:
I tried to sell at Santo Domingo, instead of Port au Prince. Price is still the same, so it wasn't the towns economy. Is there a thing like island economy? Both are at Hispaniola.

What is your level? Did you just start a new game and have low commerce skills? It looks from the prices that you bought quite high and had to sell very low.

Low level, low commerce skill, early in my game. Was the first travel to another island ever.

I would have expected not to make any profit were it normal trade. But with smuggling, that to my experience has a huge profit margin, I expected to still make good profit. I was really surprised. Perhaps things are more difficult at swashbuckler?

Back