• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released The Empress finally arrives!

Sweet. I love easy your textures are to figure out. Bonjourmonami's were challenging at times during the making of the QAR. lol
rolleyes.gif

Time for my first progress shots!
me.gif

I started working on the green planking on the Empress' hull. I decided to once again use the high-res planking that I used for the Black Pearl, Wicked Wench, and Queen Anne's Revenge.

Looks pretty nice I think. I'll have to add some wear and tear to match the look of the actual ship. See the difference between my planking and the original?

Fullscreen capture 1112012 24434 AM.jpg Fullscreen capture 1112012 24514 AM.jpg

I should add the high-res planking to my FTP folder, so other texturers can make use of it if desired.
keith.gif

Also, I installed that walk file twice and the crew just won't show up.
dunno.gif

I've tried her out in the game and she seems to work just fine. Except when you go to battle sails, two of the three sails drop and she slows down to a crawl. Maybe we should fix that?
dunno.gif
She should slow down alright, but I'm not sure how the speed is determined during the Battle Sails state. :mm

I think the official PA motto should be: "Don't tell us it can't be done!" lol
rolleyes.gif
So many supposedly "impossible" things have been accomplished lately. I bet one day, someone will figure out how to have lights on the ships.
icon_wink.gif
The only problem is that there must be just as many things we can't do as those we can do.
For example, someone asked about cannon recoil on ModDB, which we're almost 100% sure is not possible because we can't animate ship model files. :(
Still, the lighting is probably possible on the other hand. It's just very difficult due to complex mathematics, as Pieter said somewhere before.

I should add the high-res planking to my FTP folder, so other texturers can make use of it if desired. :keith
Please do; it looks great on whichever ship you apply it to! :woot

dunno.gif
You were only given the walk file by itself, right? That's not enough to make it show up, at least in PotC.
Two more files need to be modified; Ships_init.c for the Empress' entry, needs to have the line [refShip.walk = "walkfilename";],
and there's a bit of copy/paste/edit work to do in SEA_AI -> ShipWalk.c. You might be able to figure out what to do by following the code patterns, but if not then give me a shout.
Also, don't forget to press F11 in-game once the code changes are done.

Indeed while I think that it WOULD technically be possible to add a particle effect to the stern lanterns,
it really is beyond me to work out the coordinate calculations. Plus the particles wouldn't emit any glow.

Just moved this topic to Storm Engine Modelling so everyone can see this project's progress. :keith

dunno.gif
You were only given the walk file by itself, right? That's not enough to make it show up, at least in PotC.
Two more files need to be modified; Ships_init.c for the Empress' entry, needs to have the line [refShip.walk = "walkfilename";],
and there's a bit of copy/paste/edit work to do in SEA_AI -> ShipWalk.c. You might be able to figure out what to do by following the code patterns, but if not then give me a shout.
Also, don't forget to press F11 in-game once the code changes are done.

Ah. He gave me the ships_init.c entry, but not the SEA_AI ShipWalk.c entry.
dunno.gif

The high-res planking is now in my FTP folder. Have fun with it. It's easy to change the color if needed.

Oops!
mybad.gif
I knew I'd have to re-cut the sails as per IRF's diagram, but I didn't realize they were upside down. lol

Aside from that, the bamboo looks too cartoony. I need to fix a few things obviously.
razz.gif

ENGINE 2012-01-11 21-16-10-06.jpg

empress_ship.jpg

Ey, we've found that one, what you think? the shoulderpet is over the moon so to say. Now me has to make grog, think et al for ourself. ..the novella got just out of reach at the moment, sulphur, crackers, bamboo for almost every thing and all porcelain what's missing in the cupboard. Ooy, the straw in your set-up picture got a bit out of the seams apparently. One better tells the monsoon to ..donno, find another star to guide us wiv. ByHawaij, skipper Sparrow would go peppermental spotting that what-of-a-yacht. Already some ideas for a light blue-purple-ish riggin'? ney? okay, an ordinary cloth where the sun cannot get through when you have lost the glasses somehow. Hoyé then.

empress_ship.jpg

Ey, we've found that one, what you think? the shoulderpet is over the moon so to say. Now me has to make grog, think et al for ourself. ..the novella got just out of reach at the moment, sulphur, crackers, bamboo for almost every thing and all porcelain what's missing in the cupboard. Ooy, the straw in your set-up picture got a bit out of the seams apparently. One better tells the monsoon to ..donno, find another star to guide us wiv. ByHawaij, skipper Sparrow would go peppermental spotting that what-of-a-yacht. Already some ideas for a light blue-purple-ish riggin'? ney? okay, an ordinary cloth where the sun cannot get through when you have lost the glasses somehow. Hoyé then.

I can never understand a word you say.
dunno.gif
Normally I don't have a hard time understanding people from a different country, but I'm really stumped with you. Can anyone help me out?

But you know well that we will soon start with the Chinese Year of the Lil Lizard, dontcha? ..cannot be bowwered with a study from all those smileys, lofl. Apropos, whats are the appropriate setting for the nVidia Dragonforce again, adjust the game to your screen's resolution and all probbels concerning the Elfabet gonna solve themselves? okay then: anisotropic thingy, out, right? antialiasing, n/A, ya bright. The pixies inside your clatter case are having a hearty giggle. Donno wohappens when Eybeesea The Empress reaches for a cuppa proper grog, without tea tha' is, in heavy weather, cheerioké. Now listen to the soggin'-wet, tipsy geckos hanging from the chandeliers, talking ItAlien-ish. Cricket, one might as well speak to any neighbour nowadays about bugger-all, if you get me drift. Hey, try a manoeuvreboard, let them walk the planks while you go strolling up some ranks. On the light beacon fer instance at Ivorytower, coast of the unique horn from Fantasy Island, mwuahaha. Spot on B-) you is.

Ay! We have one skilled with the pirate tounge...

Alrighty now! I be always up for a good mystery. :drunk

Firstly, :gday matey!

Methinks this feller started off saying the ribs in the sails be off a bit. Then he discussed colors and hues of the sails. :hmm

Then comes that technical stuff. So. :nerbz

To adjust your screen resolution go into your POTC folder and click on "engine.ini". The first two lines are for your screen resolution. You can also set up error reporting there too. Read the FAQ in the main forum.

So ya gots an Nvidia too. You poor slob. Me too. :j3 In your nvidia control panel go to "manage 3d settings". Then find "program settings". For some reason POTC shows up as Cossacks II.

No I don't know why. :8q You can set everything so it works for you there. This is what mine looks like. :yoho

I'm close to being done with the sails. I think the bamboo part still need some more work to look convincing.
dunno.gif
But I think I got the color and the holes down.

ENGINE 2012-01-13 11-00-44-70.jpg

Hmmm. The bamboo parts are too thick. I think that's the problem.

I agree the colour and holes look about right. :onya

I also think there should be more, thinner bamboo parts on the mainsail. Perhaps you should make two textures (one with more bamboo parts than the other), like with the Black Pearl sails?
You can just about see a difference in the number of parts in this image:

Empress.png

Any better?
dunno.gif
As it turns out, the Empress cannot use two sail textures, I'm guessing because she is too low class of a ship?

Well I made the bamboo about a third the thickness of what it was. If I make it too much skinnier, you'll lose the detail in the bamboo. What do you think?

ENGINE 2012-01-13 18-48-18-88.jpg

Back