• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Updating the Interface Textures

Alpha channels are annoying, aren't they? I still haven't gotten the hang of them either.
Would it help if I upload my changes 512x256 versions of the files?

I think so. For some reason half of my texture is completely black in TX Convertor (the one with the flags, which should be affected by the channel, but strangely isn't).
Oh, that's how it shows for my in the TX Converter too. But it looks fine in the game.
See attached. These appear to work fine in WIP 14.

Attachments

• WorldmapAnimatedFlags.zip
    285.7 KB · Views: 82
What the hell... *testing* ... ... Oh, goddammit! Well, if that's the case, here's my texture.: click. :doff
Concept proven; it works fine after some slight code alterations!

Some notes:
- See attached screenshot: I can see the bottom of the previous animated flag on this one
- When you make the final ones, can you place America below Portugal and leave one row open for a potential additional nation?
Then move that white-red-white flag to the bottom. This is supposed to be your personal flag for if you take over towns for yourself.
- If you do feel like it, I wouldn't mind that personal flag being with something more interesting. For example one based on RESOURCE\Textures\Ships\Sails\sail_purewhite_nation10.tga.tx

Thanks a lot for working on this! This will be one more definite step towards completion for the modpack! :woot

Attachments

• US-FrenchFlag.jpg
    US-FrenchFlag.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 92
Thanks a lot for working on this! This will be one more definite step towards completion for the modpack! :woot

No problem! :doff But how does the game call the flags, coordinates? Would be helpful for me to know, how "tall" each flag may be. There must also be a reason why only one free row, now that there's so much new space.

Each one should be 64 pixels tall.
64 pixels... then there's no room for an additional nation, because the other flags consume the whole space. The current ones are 32 pixels tall, so I think you meant that (or I've used a wrong word, that's quite likely).
Anyway, working on the flags now! :dance

Wow, that is AMAZING! I never thought we'd ever have this all matching up so nicely! :shock

Looks like those are the merchant ensigns though. I'd recommend using the fort flags from RESOURCE\Textures\flags\frtflg1.tga.tx to frtflg6.tga.tx .
Those are the ones you would see on the towns in 3D sailing mode as well.
The Dutch West India Trading Company flag on a town is quite amusing though! :rofl

Edit: Also, you can leave the US flag white in all except the last two files.
USA doesn't exist, so it doesn't need to be there. And white ones are easier to edit if we ever add something else. :cheeky

By the way, looks like it all works perfectly. If you use WIP 14, you can just drop in your files and apparently no code adjustments required.
At long last, the USA look like themselves on the Worldmap too!
USAWorldmap.jpg

Well, I do have something that could use looking at. But I'm not sure it'd qualify as fun....
Perhaps you could have a look at the portrait files in RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\PORTRAITS ?
Not all of them are up to the same standard. Some have gold frames, some blue/greyish frames, some NO frames.
Some are photos of characters from the PotC films, but not all the PotC characters.
Some have "painting type" filter effects applied to them, some not. Some are just plain UGLY and have weird white lines around the edges.

These two files might help:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/OFFICIAL/Face Sample.psd
and
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/OFFICIAL/Faces.zip

You don't have to stick to those, though. In fact, I reckon using the GOLD frame for the 256x256 portrait is better than the blue/greyish one that is included in there,
because it's easier to put the gold over the blue/greyish one, than the other way around.

I like the idea of photo's for film characters. Would be nice to have that for ALL of them.
Perhaps even for the Hornblower storyline ones. Anyway, whatever you like to do is fine by me.

I'd recommend not trying to do all at once though; it's too much. Don't burn yourself out! :cheeky

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completely alternate idea: Do you have any interest in trying to do some re-textures of PotC film characters?
There are a fair few we had to use placeholder models for, but that isn't very nice, of course.
Here is an old list: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/tales-of-jack-sparrow-storyline-update-cotbp-dmc-awe.13244
One we could DEFINITELY use is a skeleton Barbossa, for example! :duel:

[A lot of stuff!]
That's work for weeks; or even months. FUN! :bounce Will be also a welcome diversion from that tiresome legal crap I have to deal with at the moment; need to switch off.
Anyway, it's on my list.

Completely alternate idea: Do you have any interest in trying to do some re-textures of PotC film characters?
Never done that before, besides my little re-texture of Barbossa; but that could also be fun! :yes I think, I'll start with him again. Read some postings on Wikia recently, where they were complaining about his haircolour among other things in New Horizons, and how this makes the mod so "unrealistic". So... I will finally give him auburn hair, just to mock them.
I'm a bit evil sometimes. :whipa

Edit:
Hmm, upon further thought... This could be a good reason to learn modeling.

CHARACTER modeling? That's NOT an easy one. Only Damski ever managed to do that and those characters were still based on existing models either from PotC, AoP or PotC: At World's End.
Re-texturing is FAR easier.

Who is complaining about Barbossa's hair? Never seen that before. :shock

Crickey! There have to be at least 4 different Barbossa characters. I sometimes use the oldest looking one, but one of them should be fairly close.

CHARACTER modeling? That's NOT an easy one.
I wanted to start with this anyway for some own projects in the future. There's a little game I want to make with a good friend, with Zombies which look on Google Maps first to get the player's position, before attacking him (even if he's infront of them); and comments from the hero for most of the actions, like in Duke Nukem. Very crazy but funny stuff.
And a PotC fangame for my friends and me; not sure if I show this to anyone else, ever.

But for now, just textures will do; as you said. :yes

Who is complaining about Barbossa's hair? Never seen that before. :shock
Crazy raging fans who praise their franchise or genre like the Holy Grail, nothing more. I met a girl one or two years ago who said I'm worse than every dictator on earth, just because I don't want to use elves for my fictional world. She couldn't realize (or didn't want to), that "Fantasy" is not restricted to middle-age stuff and not every fantasy setting has to be like Lord of the Rings.
And then there are those people, of course, who say that I have absolutely no clue about Fantasy, because I don't like "magical" settings that much and also don't use magic for everything as an excuse; makes me a bad person!

That's how they are. *shrug* It's funny to hear their complaints though, especially when they start to insult you just because you're different.

Back