• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Beta 3 Release Trailer?

The look is absolutely brilliant! I think the wording could use some work though.
I'll see if I can come up with something for you. :doff

And the lower-left corner is indeed quite dark. Almost can't see that compass you added, which is a shame because it does look cool!

This was just as a sample of the written text, right?

Anyway, here some more specific thoughts:

New Ships

Perhaps add an on-screen text when the ships appear so people know which ones they are

Redone Worldmap
Change to "Real Caribbean Worldmap"?
You may need to linger on the worldmap interface a bit longer so people can see it properly.
Or, even better, use the "Tab" free camera mode on the actual worldmap and move around for a bit to show what it looks like in the game.

New Interfaces
Same as with "New Ships", add a text on the screen when you're showing the interface to show what they're for and what you can do with them.

Ransom Prisoners
Afterwards, show some characters in your cargo hold.
Perhaps add a note on "To get more money" or something.

Silver Fleets
Change to "Spanish Treasure Fleets". They're always Spanish and can have gold onboard too.

Treasure of Cortes

Perhaps "Cursed Treasure of Cortes" with an additional text on "From Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" or something?
Needs to be some indication of the curse and its effects.

Capture Colonies
Will you be showing some fighting and the governor assigning too?
Perhaps an additional note on "For yourself"? Perhaps show the town/fort with the same personal flag as on your own ship?

New Land: Cartagena
"New Town" is probably more accurate. Perhaps add a note when showing the "San Felipe" fortress showing the name of the fort.

Just some thoughts. :doff

This was just as a sample of the written text, right?
Yes, just some temporary text to show the idea. ;)

Anyway, here some more specific thoughts:

New Ships

Perhaps add an on-screen text when the ships appear so people know which ones they are

Redone Worldmap
Change to "Real Caribbean Worldmap"?
You may need to linger on the worldmap interface a bit longer so people can see it properly.
Or, even better, use the "Tab" free camera mode on the actual worldmap and move around for a bit to show what it looks like in the game.

New Interfaces
Same as with "New Ships", add a text on the screen when you're showing the interface to show what they're for and what you can do with them.

Ransom Prisoners
Afterwards, show some characters in your cargo hold.
Perhaps add a note on "To get more money" or something.

Silver Fleets
Change to "Spanish Treasure Fleets". They're always Spanish and can have gold onboard too.

Treasure of Cortes

Perhaps "Cursed Treasure of Cortes" with an additional text on "From Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" or something?
Needs to be some indication of the curse and its effects.

Capture Colonies
Will you be showing some fighting and the governor assigning too?
Perhaps an additional note on "For yourself"? Perhaps show the town/fort with the same personal flag as on your own ship?

New Land: Cartagena
"New Town" is probably more accurate. Perhaps add a note when showing the "San Felipe" fortress showing the name of the fort.

Just some thoughts. :doff

For example:

- Start showing Main Menu>Start New Game, then customize the player character to something people might recognize
- Select a small ship to start with, such as the Arcadia Xebec and show her moored in port

- Show Map Interface with various quests active, then zoom in on the treasure quest
- Back to sea with a sea battle involving enemy pirates
- Walking on shore, fight in the jungle, uncovering a buried treasure

- Set sail with a somewhat bigger boat; Prince de Neufchatel/Essex
- Couple of shots of Spanish Galleons being encountered, followed by some ship battle and boarding shots
- Talk with captured captain in the cargo hold

- Reload to worldmap and show the approach to Cartagena there
- Upgrade to proper big ship, maybe Centurion and/or Trinity and attack the Cartagena fort
- Couple of shots of fighting in the fort and in the town, followed by the surrendered governor and a quick shot of assigning a new governor of your own
- Then show various of the locations in the town, along with the personal soldiers and flag on the port/fort

- Show Mr. Gibbs in the Tortuga tavern, then zoom in on the Isla de Muerta icon on the worldmap (but DON'T show where it is!!!)
- Reload to the cave with treasure and show contents of the chest
- Shots of being a skeleton at night in a town, fighting with town guards
- Ship with torn sails and trailing fog, battling other ships
- Night boarding action with cursed crew
- Reload to Vanderdecken's shipyard
- Show FLEET of cursed ships
- If you want, show the Dutchman effects again as well (even though that's technically a Beta 2 feature and was already shown in that trailer)

Inbetween, add various shots of different ships with different sails/flags/nations sailing at sea at different times of day in sight of land or out at sea.
Maybe some spyglass shots too. And possibly also show some quick shots of the various storylines' main characters doing things on land.

Couple of things you can make use of:
- F9 to hide On-Screen Display (of course)
- Free Camera Mode at the bottom of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h
- Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow Keys at sea to centre the camera on other ships than the player one: Easy way of showing a greater variety

Those are just some thoughts. It's up to you to do what you want with that. I'll be really looking forward to seeing what it'll be!
If it turns out well, perhaps we can put it in the game when you leave the main menu running instead of that stock game trailer.
That's a bit out-dated, is it not? :razz

There's no problem that one does this, only that .... even if half of these things are recorded, that would be a size of the file as big as the game itself...
The only reasonable solution is to make a video of a battle, in short, and that's it. I am working with editing video files quite often and there's no way to videotape so much stuff without using enermous ammount of space.

I'm sure it can be done. The Beta 2 trailer showed quite a lot of different stuff as well.

By the way, Diperscitus and priatnia, welcome to the Modders group! I figure you both deserve to be added. :doff

By the way, Diperscitus and priatnia, welcome to the Modders group! I figure you both deserve to be added. :doff
Thank you :pirates

I recorded some clips last weekend and added and replaced some text in the video. I still need to record some clips and probably replace a few (I will show the video first before I replace clips).

Cool! I'm still very much looking forward to it! :woot

Just so you know, I won't be around from Friday the 18th until Sunday the 27th.

So I uploaded the trailer as it is now. There need to change little things like some text and some bigger things like some clips. Please tell me your opinions and give me some tips :dance

Video:

Some shipnames are shown 2 or even 3 times. I would personally only show the name ones.
I think its better to show the shotgun mode as it is (so with the aiming) instead of the way you have it now.

Besides that it looks really nice. Altough I personally would like a little bit more land video (just a little bit more to break it up maybe).
And the cortez cave is nice but maybe shoot it again without aiming at a skelleton.

I agree with the points about the ship names and Shotgun Mode. The latter is definitely begging for a first-person demonstration. :wp
Can I also suggest replacing the intro video of the NH and PA logos? Here's a fairly simple version, using the new PA logo, that I made recently: NH_PA_Video_NEW.7z
Improvements over my version are welcome, or you can use it as-is. :p

I wish you had a better video card so you could run with more AA & AF. Where do you live? I just got a new VC for meself and happen to have a spare now.

AWESOME! I'm glad I could have seen this before being away at sea for a week with dead-slow internet! :woot

I agree with the points made above. Also, when you get into the montage of various text with video shots afterwards,
perhaps you could add a few shots more to each "section", for example including one of the actual worldmap in the game or some fights against soldiers when attacking the forts.
Otherwise people hardly get the chance to register what they're seeing; it suddenly moves rather quick. :wp

I cannot listen to the sound where I am at the moment, so cannot comment on that.

Thanks a lot for doing this! :cheers

Some shipnames are shown 2 or even 3 times. I would personally only show the name ones.
I think its better to show the shotgun mode as it is (so with the aiming) instead of the way you have it now.

Besides that it looks really nice. Altough I personally would like a little bit more land video (just a little bit more to break it up maybe).
And the cortez cave is nice but maybe shoot it again without aiming at a skelleton.
I agree 100%. I will upload the new version with all these changes today.

I wish you had a better video card so you could run with more AA & AF. Where do you live? I just got a new VC for meself and happen to have a spare now.
I appreciate your offer but I think I don't need it. ;)
I've got a 560 GTX 2 GB. It's not super strong but I can play games with it :p

I am leaving tomorrow and I will be back Saturday the 26th. I can't work during that time on the trailer so I will try to get as much done today as possible. I will be able to be on the forums.

I am leaving tomorrow and I will be back Saturday the 26th. I can't work during that time on the trailer so I will try to get as much done today as possible. I will be able to be on the forums.
You too, eh? I'll be somewhere on the Mediterranean next week anyway.

Back