• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

black pearl my version

The first test pic of my Black Pearl, some fixes needed me thinks.

black_pearl_test_01_by_bonjourmonami-d3fwfqy.jpg

But still, I think she looks cool, and the cannons are working fine :j2

You have the sails down, but I think you should work on the hull a little more. It looks to small (its long enough, but by small, I mean it could rise up more)

The first test pic of my Black Pearl, some fixes needed me thinks.
Beautiful! That's some great work, there! :woot I take it the conversion to GM worked well, then?
If you need any help with sail and rope locators, or even textures, I might be able to lend a hand.

It looks to small (its long enough, but by small, I mean it could rise up more)
That might be down to the waterline being too low down, plus the angle of the shot which shows the ship descending with the waves.
If it is the waterline, that's easy to adjust in ships_init.c.

Thanks for the compliment, :cheers
I ended up putting her together in Maya, having used OBJ exporting from blender, I'm having a prob with the path model though, when I press TAB to walk on deck it either A. close to an island the camera goes underwater to the bottom of the oceon, B. in open water it crashes the game, any help please? :shrug :mm

That sounds to me more like a problem with, or lack of, the 'Camera' locator.
If you don't have one, ensure you put one above the deck, where you want the 1st person camera to start from.
If you DO have one, it probably needs moving up a bit.
I'm not 100% sure, but that's my best guess as to what's causing the problem.

Are you familiar with Inez Dias' TOOL? That can be a much quicker way of adjusting locators than having to re-export through Maya. ;)

i actually really like the black pearl which is in hoist the colours at the moment its my favouraite ship and the hull looks amazing. a cool (but very hard) feature for the game is that you could actually do various activities on the ship whilst sailing to a destination (e.g plot a course from Jamacia to tortuga) you could play liars dice, poker, steer the ship at the helm or go on the crows nest e.t.c that way you dont have to go visit the map loads of times and time will pass faster ( 5 real seconds equivilent to 1 min) btw the mast and sails look very good :onya

how many guns does this Pearl currently have? In my opinion, I think 32 guns on the ship is a good amount with maybe 4 swivel guns.

a couple of new test pics for ya :j2

A pic of her stern

black_pearl_test_2_by_bonjourmonami-d3g1wz7.jpg

A nice pic of the bow, as you can see I had the Jibs going to bollards on the forcastle deck (hope that's ok with you chaps, just seemed a bit more realistic to me)

black_pearl_test_3_by_bonjourmonami-d3g1x3g.jpg

Just a couple of things to sort now, the walk file for one, is there a way to generate it from the path model? For some reason, when I go into sail mode, my BP makes it beep, any thoughts? :shrug
At the moment, the camera just stays still on deck, you can still turn 360 though.

Is there any way to get the bow wave to go back to where the stem meets the water? Seems to be going from the front of the figurehead.

I think she has a reversed light prob, at night she looks solid and you can see the polygon shapes, how'd I go about fixing it please?

One more thing, my Pearl's never seem to go very fast, anything I could do?

oh, by the by - it was the path model mucking it up. (I think)

Sounds to me like she wasn't exported properly. If done correctly through Maya, the collision detection, player camera walk patch and bow wave should be correct and there shouldn't be reverse lighting.
Did you use Ines Diaz' TOOL to convert your ship to GM?

Sounds to me like she wasn't exported properly. If done correctly through Maya, the collision detection, player camera walk patch and bow wave should be correct and there shouldn't be reverse lighting.
Did you use Ines Diaz' TOOL to convert your ship to GM?

I exported through Maya, I'm not sure if it is called reversed lighting or not, but when the cannnons on the damaged pearl I did way back when looked solid I think you called it reversed lighting. If you look at the cabin windows you can see the edges of the polygons, is there something I can do to fix that? what could I do about the bow wave and the player camera?

The polygon edges requires smoothing groups, but I haven't done anything with those for many, many years. And even then it was in 3D Studio MAX and for another game.

Sounds like you missed some setting when exporting in Maya though. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

Massive thanks to Pieter for hinting that I hadn't been exporting properly :cheers
, I haven't used maya in years so I had forgotten about the export options. :facepalm

Problems fixed -

:j2 The bow wave is now in the right place.

:j2 the camera can now walk on deck

:j2 found a way to smooth the edges, for other modders - select mesh - edit polygons - normals - soften/harden (box next to this for options)

:j2 there was no reversed lighting problem

:j2 game no longer beeps going into sail mode

Just need a new walk file for the crew now, they're using the old one and they spend a worrying amount of time in the air. How'd I go about making one please.

Oh and one last thing... :j3

See here for information on the Sailor Tool: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?s=&showtopic=11380&view=findpost&p=335113
This might help as well: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?s=&showtopic=11880&view=findpost&p=257769

Give the man some rum! This is great news! :woot :cheers

My only query is about textures.
Firstly: how big is the texture file you've used for the hull? The maximum size is 2048x2048 pixels, so it's a good idea to make the most of that (if you haven't done so already), for optimal texture quality.
Secondly: I see the deck and masts are still a brown wood texture, and not the new black/grey texture from Build 14. Do you want me to send you that, to incorporate into the model?

Back