• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1 Feedback

I was playing the 'new' Pirates! and, while an amusing game, the easy cartoon nature made me long for a real pirate style game. I eventually found this site, and I have to say you guys have done an amazing job.

One aspect I don't understand are storms. I know you are suppose to put your bow into the waves, but what I do seems to have very little effect and I've been sunk several times by them. Now this wouldn't be so bad except for the sort of 'random' storms which appear when you go from map to the sea. Its perfectly clear on the map, but when I switch to the sea view for whatever reason, its in the middle of a storm. Its like a 50-50 chance, and quite frustrating.

Is this normal?

here's some of the things I've observed while playing...

That's why one of the first skills I take, and that I choose for other characters who are to command ships is storm helmsman :)

If you're sailing on the map and you see a storm, watch the storm Icon on the top-right, it often remains active even if you're far outside the area the storm is rendered, this is especially annoying when sailing near land, it could easily wreck your ship.

I find that there's very little point in trying to steer your ship while in a storm, what i usually do is drop all sail and just ride it out, if you have storm helmsman and a few planks and sailcloth aboard it's a good way to improve your sailing skills.
keith.gif

The Capsize mod is very new and we're still working on making it more playable and less annoying.
Please see this post of mine for an update to that mod I just made: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//topic/16144-capsizing-ships/page__view__findpost__p__372930
It should help you to understand what is happening and also hopefully help you to counter it.

There are worldmap storms, but it's also possible to encounter random bad weather.
This is part of the update to the weather system to make the weather change while at sea.
This makes it possible to encounter storms in DirectSail mode also,
but means that you can encounter storms when none were on the worldmap as well.

The appearanced of storms in 3D sailing mode shouldn't be very frequent and depends on the month.
In the real Caribbean hurricane season, there is a higher chance of randomly generated storms in 3D sailing mode.

I find that there's very little point in trying to steer your ship while in a storm, what i usually do is drop all sail and just ride it out
This was true until Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 2. I intentionally added a mod to prevent this, because I don't like it that you can just "ride out a storm".
It's too boring, not challenging and player action has little to no effect.

Herculite: While I have lost ships in twister storms, I have never been sunk myself. Conserve your sails! Use battle sails to get pointed into the waves, and then furl them up until needed again. No ship likes to turn to the starboard in a storm, and at least one (the carrack) just won't. What ship are you sailing? So far I have survived storms in the Lugger,Barque Long, Light Fluyt(good ship), Carrack, 24 gun Pinnace, and 40gun Pinnace.

I find that there's very little point in trying to steer your ship while in a storm, what i usually do is drop all sail and just ride it out
This was true until Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 2. I intentionally added a mod to prevent this, because I don't like it that you can just "ride out a storm".
It's too boring, not challenging and player action has little to no effect.

Ah Good, haven't got the latest patch yet though
dunno.gif

The Capsize mod is very new and we're still working on making it more playable and less annoying.
Please see this post of mine for an update to that mod I just made: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//topic/16144-capsizing-ships/page__view__findpost__p__372930
It should help you to understand what is happening and also hopefully help you to counter it.

There are worldmap storms, but it's also possible to encounter random bad weather.
This is part of the update to the weather system to make the weather change while at sea.
This makes it possible to encounter storms in DirectSail mode also,
but means that you can encounter storms when none were on the worldmap as well.

The appearanced of storms in 3D sailing mode shouldn't be very frequent and depends on the month.
In the real Caribbean hurricane season, there is a higher chance of randomly generated storms in 3D sailing mode.

That change helped thanks!

EDIT: I think there is a small bug. I get the message that my crew moral has gone from good to elated due to sea sickness, which I assume is not intended.

I was also quite surprised to notice that, but Captain Maggee is correct; "elated" IS less than "good".
However, we changed the names to be clearer quite some while ago, but apparently the change didn't work everywhere.
See this excerpt from common.ini:
Code:
; morales
string = Treacherous,"Treacherous"
string = Awful,"Awful"
string = Low,"Low"
string = Poor,"Poor"
string = Normal,"Normal"
string = Elated,"Good"
string = Good,"High"
string = High,"Excellent"
string = Excellent,"Superior"
string = Heroic,"Heroic"

In PROGRAM\NK.c find:
Code:
LogIt("Captain, the morale of the crew decreased from " + GetMoraleName(rCharacter.Ship.Crew.Morale) + " to " + GetMoraleName(RollDamageValue) + " because the ship's rolling is making them seasick");
Replace with:
Code:
LogIt("Captain, the morale of the crew decreased from " + XI_ConvertString(GetMoraleName(rCharacter.Ship.Crew.Morale)) + " to " + XI_ConvertString(GetMoraleName(RollDamageValue)) + " because the ship's rolling is making them seasick");
This'll make the correct morale names show up instead.
Thanks for drawing my attention to this one. :doff

I decided to try direct sailing and it really was brilliant, and sadly I need to say was.

I tried it and completed an island to island mission and some test navigating without a problem. Now when I go far enough my position never changes and I sail to infinity without really moving. I'm assuming this is standard POTC.

Hehe. Every island has a "local area" around it that extends out a certain distance. If two islands are close enough together, then the "local areas" touch and you can sail from one to the other with no trouble. Nevis, St. Martin, Antigua, Guadaloupe, and Martinique are like that. Watch the upper left hand side of your screen. If you see a message stating that "no island is in reach", then you are in between local areas and are stuck. Use the world view then to get to the next island. :sail

You can not sail from island-to-island in DirectSail mode if:
1. You entered 3D sailing mode from the worldmap when there was no island within reach (you'll get a message on the screen)
2. You disabled DirectSail mode with the [0] key on your keyboard (you'll get a message on the screen occasionally)

Other than those two cases, it should work. :shrug

Oddly it started up again fine when I rebooted my system.

Restarting the game didn't help but a full reboot and I was back in business.

It really adds are great dimension to the game. Having to actually USE your spyglass to see flags is just great for immersion. I also think the greater difficulty of not just sailing in a circle waiting for ships to magically show up for the taking makes actually capturing a ship just 'better'.

A quick question, does direct sail work for things like pirate hunting missions?

My only gripe is that sometimes flags don't show up. Now I can understand if a pirate or a hostile wanted to hide their flags, but friendlies in cannon range I would think would raise their flags. I don't know if its intentional or just a graphics issue. The flags seem really hit or miss.

Oddly it started up again fine when I rebooted my system.
Restarting the game didn't help but a full reboot and I was back in business.
That's good. I suppose. Quite bizarre though. :wacko:

It really adds are great dimension to the game. Having to actually USE your spyglass to see flags is just great for immersion. I also think the greater difficulty of not just sailing in a circle waiting for ships to magically show up for the taking makes actually capturing a ship just 'better'.
I think the "Realistic Game Mode" we introduced does have the ability to add a lot of immersion to the game, yes.
We disabled a whole bunch of unreleastic "convenience" things, which'll encourage the player to actually play more historically correct.
Of course, there IS an "off" button in the Options menu for those who don't want it. :wp

A quick question, does direct sail work for things like pirate hunting missions?
Pirate hunting missions are only generated for the island you're currently on, right?
So you don't need the worldmap or DirectSail to get to them... :?

My only gripe is that sometimes flags don't show up. Now I can understand if a pirate or a hostile wanted to hide their flags, but friendlies in cannon range I would think would raise their flags. I don't know if its intentional or just a graphics issue. The flags seem really hit or miss.
It's not intentional, that I can assure you of. They're supposed to always show up, but I think there's still some bugs around.
However, I don't really know where the problem comes from. If you can discover anything consistent about this, please let us know.
It might be certain ship models that don't always show flags properly, but we DID at one point check all and they were working then. :modding

Pirate hunting missions are only generated for the island you're currently on, right?

I didn't know the mechanics of the mission, I assumed it was world map.

[quote ] The flags seem really hit or miss.It's not intentional, that I can assure you of. They're supposed to always show up, but I think there's still some bugs around.
However, I don't really know where the problem comes from. If you can discover anything consistent about this, please let us know.
It might be certain ship models that don't always show flags properly, but we DID at one point check all and they were working then. :modding
[/quote]

Would screen shots help?

Ok, I was crashing constantly, so much so that I would cringe at every change to the ship view because it seemed like it was around 50-50 I'd be looking at my desktop next.

So just on a hunch I disabled SLI, and haven't crashed sense, and the transitions are faster.

Obviously this game was made pre-SLI and while SLI works it seems to have been mucking the engine up. So maybe put that in your manual if its not already there and I missed it.

Back