• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Beta 1 Feedback

Scalable Link Interface. Herculite is using more than one video card, which has never caused a problem on any other older program that I can think of. I can think of 2 1998 programs that are ok with SLI.

Scalable Link Interface. Herculite is using more than one video card, which has never caused a problem on any other older program that I can think of. I can think of 2 1998 programs that are ok with SLI.

Funny, I know of several that it didn't work well with, and needed either patches or driver updates. This included Spore which only came out 2 years ago and I don't know if they ever fixed the SLI to stop it from crashing, and Bad Company 2 which got a patch from Nvidia a short while after it came out.

Being this game is 2003, it would not be surprising if certain high end graphic configurations causes an issue. Nvidia will routinely adds SLI support to new games, but obviously would not be doing so for POTC which was never popular and so old.

Well I was right, and I was wrong.

I was right about the SLI, Nvidia detects POTC as 'Cossacks II' if you use their control panel and sets it to one gpu, not SLI.

The problem is it didn't really fix my crashing, which is just getting extremely frequent. Its only switching to the seaai.dll (or is it aisea.dll) but happens so often that I just cross my fingers every time I capture a ship. Without the ability to save in combat this becomes extremely frustrating, and after a good capture, I'm better off just outright sinking the other ships so I can save because I might crash after the next capture.

I love the mod, but the crashing is making it mostly unplayable for me.

Just an observation.

Been playing Beta 1 patch 3 for a little while now and it is more stable and the looting / items interface has been fixed - it is very quick again , congratulations for a major fix for the gameplay Pieter et al. The slow interface in Beta 1 up to patch 2 was annoying as hell in the game play.

Love to know what was causing it to not work previously. :cheers

By Jove, you are right Herculite! It does show as Cossacks II. I will be testing new settings very soon. :onya

The seaai.dll has been a big problem for me in the past. Whenever PotC crashed and I looked at the error reports, there it was. It was also mentioned onscreen. Since patch 2 it has not been a problem for me. I also installed a new PSU, which is making this puter run a little better. I feel your pain. At one time sea combat was impossible. :modding Can you post your error logs? Maybe someone who knows what they are doing can look at them.

Yes Cap'n Cook that interface really flies now. I'm loving it! :cheers But, I had 6 ctd's yesterday while looting during boarding. This is new. Other than that patch 3 is working very well. :dance

Cap'n Cook, thanks very much for your report on the itemsbox interface.
Can you confirm that it works properly without any unintended side-effects of the rewriting?
HTML:
Itemsbox interface performance improved by Sulan (needs further testing)
I'm not entirely sure what caused the lag before, but apparently it was some ineffient coding of some kind.
You can perform a WinMerge compare on the Patch 2 and Patch 3 versions to see what Sulan did though.

I really haven't the foggiest what's going on with that "seaai.dll" whatsoever.
I don't think we did anything involving that file or anything similar for aaaages. :wacko:

More testing is needed, but changing the settings under Cossacks II might be just the thing. I had to use global settings before, which are optimized for other programs. Now the settings are getting progressively cranked to the max and it seems to be working better than yesterday. :2up

Today when moving money into the ships chest I found that no box was created for the money at first. Leaving and then going back in had the box showing. And it is fast! No more falling asleep and getting a numb finger from holding the mouse button down while waiting for the money to move. :woot

Cap'n Cook, thanks very much for your report on the itemsbox interface.
Can you confirm that it works properly without any unintended side-effects of the rewriting?
HTML:
Itemsbox interface performance improved by Sulan (needs further testing)
I'm not entirely sure what caused the lag before, but apparently it was some ineffient coding of some kind.
You can perform a WinMerge compare on the Patch 2 and Patch 3 versions to see what Sulan did though.

I really haven't the foggiest what's going on with that "seaai.dll" whatsoever.
I don't think we did anything involving that file or anything similar for aaaages. :wacko:

Pieter,
The only issue i have noticed is if you take all of your money and put it - say in a chest - the interface icon for coins does not appear in the chest list and it is placed as the last item in the list. after closing the chest and reopening all is good with the gold icon showing normally and the gold is the first item in the list - other than this I have had very few issues - a couple of CTD's on looting on boardings - still have a few ctd's elsewhere as well - one on worldmap while sailing which I had never had seen before or since another ship crossed my path and it dropped out of the game - but few overall issues compared to the improvements.
Still have the crew pay problems :onya

Last game error log was as follows - don't know what to make of this as game played OK. :urgh

RUNTIME ERROR - file: utils.c; line: 2292
Invalid range
RUNTIME ERROR - file: interface\interface.c; line: 1561
no memory

Best of luck with your current cruise - hope the weather is good to you and no oil slicks.

I'll look into the issue with the money - I did notice that as well. Most likely I forgot something.

I did never notice any crahses so far in the looting screen. I would appreciate if you could post any error log data. The error posted by Capt'n Cook seems to be related to Profiles/Savegames.

For those interested in what I did:

Initially the coding was (and that since Stock POTC as far as I could see) like this: Once one item or stack of items was moved, swapped or transferred otherwise the complete itemlist with all pictures was reloaded and redrawn. The more items you had, the slower it became. I did write functions to only swap or transfer the icons and repaint them, so the whole itemlist is only loaded once when the chest / dead body / transfer window is opened. And then I removed quite a lot of unnecessary code (6K) by rewriting some functions to be re-used.

Cheers,
Sulan

I've seen error logs being generated without anything seemingly being wrong many times before.
I suppose it might just be a non-crucial error of some kind. I hope so anyway... :?

I forgot what crew pay problem you had, Cap'n Cook. :facepalm

Thanks a lot, Sulan! :bow

For me the ctd's seem to be coming in clumps. There were 6 in one day, all while looting corpses during boarding. Those were all when attempting to take a heavy Indiaman off Barbados. Methinks that one was scripted as it was always there after every ctd. None since. :eek:ops Then there were 4 when talking to Davey Jones and playing dice. Then smooth sailing. Then there were 2 random ctd's. One while climbing stairs and one while in a land fight. It's hard to figger out what is happening if they are not repeatable.

Hey! It looks like the sails are working well again. I'm seeing many new patterns. :drunk

Sailing? Patterns? Uh??? :wacko:

That's the problem we're having with these CTDs.
While they do happen, it seems totally random which means we can do basically nothing about them. :modding

Ahoy,

please find attached a minifix for the "move money display problem" and some other bugs; the last one of which might be responsible for some looting CTDs.

I also implemented a new feature including dialogs for batch-repairing guns and blades. I just thought this feature was needed.

Please include them into the next official patch, if you think they make sense.

Cheers,
Sulan

Fixes:
- DoDailyCrewPay error - fixed
- NPC gun quality error - fixed
- No money texture when moving to chests error - fixed
- Looting invalid items without itemID - fixed

Additional features:
- Boudewijn Smidt, blacksmith in Kralendijk (Bonaire) has some apprentices and can repair all your blades at once now.
- Diego Uargo, blacksmith in Sao Jorge (la Grenade) can repair all your guns at once up to a certain quality.

Attachments

• minifix v2.zip
    146.6 KB · Views: 203
Do these fixes require a new game? :nerbz

Thank you for these fixes, new game needed or not. :shoot:

Sailing? Patterns? Uh??? :wacko:

That's the problem we're having with these CTDs.
While they do happen, it seems totally random which means we can do basically nothing about them. :modding

Sorry for not seeing this before. :eek:ops

Yes, you can choose more patterns now than you could before for your sails. I'm using national patterns now except for the fluyts. They don't work for them. :cheers

That is absolutely brilliant, Sulan! Thanks very much! :woot
I've been wanting some sort of batch-repair code for a long time. Thanks for adding it! :onya

I did some small modifications to my minifix, so I have replaced the old version by version 2.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=5262

- make officers use ammopouch and powderflask to determine the max number of bullets and gunpowder units
- replace the fixed values 6 by MAX_SHOTS/MAX_GUNPOWDER. These can be set in ITEMS/items.h to almost any value to adjust the max number of shots / Gunpowder. (maybe later on we can add an advanced tweak for this in the options menu).

No New Game required.

Cheers,
Sulan

Back