• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 2.5 Internal Release Available!

But that is the whole point of removing the PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI folders first: So that you WILL have the exact same code files that I do!
And indeed that IS why I'm having a hard time explaining it. :facepalm

Not really. In towns, there are ALWAYS random characters around. If they're not there, something IS wrong.

Open PROGRAM\console.c and find:
Code:
void ExecuteConsole()
{
    ref pchar = GetMainCharacter();
    if (!bSeaActive) ref lcn = &Locations[FindLocation(pchar.location)];
    ref ch;
    int i;
    int limit;
Below this, add:
Code:
DeleteAttribute(PChar,"vcskip");
Load your savegame, press F12 and see if they do show up afterwards.

Also, to be certain: Are you using the file attached to this post of mine yet?
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...-version-4-available.20593/page-9#post-451990
I'm not sure how much is being thrown out of whack without that fix. :facepalm

E

If you Are you referring the battle interface fix I have not Downloaded that I just assumed it was in the new version if you mean the options fix yes I have that.
Are

Happy to report all that appears to have fixed the random character issue since you I had them I didn't I must admit I probably made an installation error. Thanks for all your help.

And a new one for some reason the controls for Primary land and fight controls seem to linked in this version. That is they are the same. If forward is the left mouse button and backward the left mouse button, when you are in combat swing or thrusting your weapon is also the left button and block is the right. Even when you change each control separately they remain the same. This means you can't advance or retreat with a blade drawn.

Found out that the crash persists only if one uses the blue interface variant, when I use the brown one, everything seems okay.
Indeed, you're right there IS something wrong with the Blue Interface files there. Please extract attached to RESOURCE\INI\INTERFACES and see if that helps. :doff
(I wasn't able to replicate the crash though; the interface just looked weeeiiird.... :facepalm

And a new one for some reason the controls for Primary land and fight controls seem to linked in this version. That is they are the same. If forward is the left mouse button and backward the left mouse button, when you are in combat swing or thrusting your weapon is also the left button and block is the right. Even when you change each control separately they remain the same. This means you can't advance or retreat with a blade drawn.
That... sounds really weird. We did change the default controls:
Code:
  . Default controls modified:
    > Left Mouse Button for Attack and Right Mouse Button for Block
And the W and S keys are in use for forward and backward movement instead of the Left/Right mouse buttons.
I tried setting both controls to the mouse, but the game wouldn't even let me, stating correctly that those buttons are already used.
What changes did you make from the default settings?

Attachments

• news.zip
    573 bytes · Views: 117
Brilliant! Thanks for catching and thanks for confirming it works now. :doff
One more down the drain! :whipa

Indeed, you're right there IS something wrong with the Blue Interface files there. Please extract attached to RESOURCE\INI\INTERFACES and see if that helps. :doff
(I wasn't able to replicate the crash though; the interface just looked weeeiiird.... :facepalm

That... sounds really weird. We did change the default controls:
Code:
  . Default controls modified:
    > Left Mouse Button for Attack and Right Mouse Button for Block
And the W and S keys are in use for forward and backward movement instead of the Left/Right mouse buttons.
I tried setting both controls to the mouse, but the game wouldn't even let me, stating correctly that those buttons are already used.
What changes did you make from the default settings?

I tried to use the mouse buttons for movement ands space and control for attack and block which I have been using for years. I could change them but they what ever I changed them to worked for both movement and attack.

Oh I know I said the random character thing was fixed and it was in a game that landed me on St Martin. Today I stared another back on Le Grenade and no random characters. :shrug

I don't suppose this could be island specific the two places I have found no RCs are Le Grenade and Bonaire, both from the original game. And the console fix doesn't appear to have any effect.

I tried to use the mouse buttons for movement ands space and control for attack and block which I have been using for years. I could change them but they what ever I changed them to worked for both movement and attack.
I just changed my controls to the stock game ones and that worked fine for me. :facepalm
Edit: Try to "Reset Controls to Default" first, then reassign them to what you want.

I don't suppose this could be island specific the two places I have found no RCs are Le Grenade and Bonaire, both from the original game. And the console fix doesn't appear to have any effect.
Indeed there AREN'T any such characters on Bonaire. And it IS because of that vcskip attribute.
Executing that DeleteAttribute line through console restored them just fine for me. Not sure why I still HAVE that attribute, though! :shock

Indeed there AREN'T any such characters on Bonaire. And it IS because of that vcskip attribute.
Executing that DeleteAttribute line through console restored them just fine for me. Not sure why I still HAVE that attribute, though! :shock
Turns out that vcskip attribute IS being deleted like it should be, but then gets re-added!
I wonder if that is because the dialog with Malcolm restarts for some strange reason right before the reload.
Anyway, extract attached to PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\quests . In this file, the DeleteAttribute line occurs later and this does work properly. :doff

Attachments

• both_reaction.zip
    17.2 KB · Views: 98
First of all the good news. I extracted the above file and landed on Cayman and there were random characters, and island maps for the first time for me in a couple of years.

2nd I was unable to remap controls and I must be making some save error something. I can change them to whatever I want but once I do the same to keys serve double duty walking on land and fighting. I followed your steps, restored the default controls, then tried to change them. I change the primary land to the mouse buttons, click back on land to close it then go t to fight and the keys that are set there are the mouse buttons, I change those to space bar and control and when I go back to land the controls are space bar and control.

3rd I read in the list of changes that sound alarm when pockets are picked is turned off. if that is right, and I think it is, how are we to know it has happened. It is really not possible to check your inventory after every conversation or address every one you talk to twice, once when you meet them and once to trigger the pickpocket dialaog .

". Worldmap encounters are no longer always skippable; this now depends on the relative speeds between squadrons by Pieter Boelen"

They are. press ESC
----
loose a mast in battle, escape to map. get back to sea-> mast reappeared. with under 10% sailhealth use emergency repair and wooop- have your sails instant at ~90%
----
". Pirate Hunting target ships generated at a random location around the island by Pieter Boelen"
nice, love it. but theres a bug(?) -> jamaica (? i mean redmond) go to the governeur, get quest, go to ship -> sea mode and you can see the target. after a while a text on the topleft corner appeares: "pirat hunting quest active. direct sail disabled to prevent target ship from despawning/dissapering" what is direct sail? it is disabled but i CAN use map, time x3,x10,x30 so i went to map, did something else, came back searched for the target ship couldnt find it. Is it despawned?

Have you tried setting your controls in internalsettings.h? That might give better results.

Just a quick one, not sure if it's already been mentioned: I noticed a couple of quest book entries in the Elizabeth Shaw quest contain a comment at the end from Talisman, which was obviously not intended to show up in-game.
Put the attached file in RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\Storyline\standard\QUESTBOOK to fix this.

Attachments

• Contact.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 80
2nd I was unable to remap controls and I must be making some save error something. I can change them to whatever I want but once I do the same to keys serve double duty walking on land and fighting. I followed your steps, restored the default controls, then tried to change them. I change the primary land to the mouse buttons, click back on land to close it then go t to fight and the keys that are set there are the mouse buttons, I change those to space bar and control and when I go back to land the controls are space bar and control.
Did you remove the "options" file from your main game folder yet? That might help as well.

3rd I read in the list of changes that sound alarm when pockets are picked is turned off. if that is right, and I think it is, how are we to know it has happened. It is really not possible to check your inventory after every conversation or address every one you talk to twice, once when you meet them and once to trigger the pickpocket dialaog .
I changed it again so the sound notification IS still there on Apprentice and Journeyman difficulties. Was considering changing it to Apprentice only though.
In the past, there was never any audio clue anyway. You could still tell. Remember that text "This meeting has real"ly enlightened you..."? Pay attention to that! :cheeky

". Worldmap encounters are no longer always skippable; this now depends on the relative speeds between squadrons by Pieter Boelen"
They are. press ESC
Escape actually WORKS? That's NOT intentional. I wonder how we can block that button from working...

loose a mast in battle, escape to map. get back to sea-> mast reappeared.
That is intentional to prevent bugs with the Flags system. The game doesn't like it when there are less masts than it expects.
Your crew is just good at rigging jury masts. :cheeky

". Pirate Hunting target ships generated at a random location around the island by Pieter Boelen"
nice, love it. but theres a bug(?) -> jamaica (? i mean redmond) go to the governeur, get quest, go to ship -> sea mode and you can see the target. after a while a text on the topleft corner appeares: "pirat hunting quest active. direct sail disabled to prevent target ship from despawning/dissapering" what is direct sail? it is disabled but i CAN use map, time x3,x10,x30 so i went to map, did something else, came back searched for the target ship couldnt find it. Is it despawned?
DirectSail is the ability to sail from island to island without using the worldmap. Whenever a DirectSail update occurs, it erases the target ships. So that is why we're preventing it.
I did test going to the worldmap and then returning to see if the target ship would remain, but it was indeed still there.
But that was a test with going on the worldmap and quickly returning.

Those DirectSail updates are therefore prevented, but ONLY at the target island.
I wonder if, while sailing around elsewhere, you experienced a DirectSail update as well that erased the target ship.
I had been hoping that DirectSail updates occurring at other island would not influence those target ships. But perhaps they do.
If that is the case, I'm going to have to remove that island limitation so that DirectSail will be disabled everywhere during such a quest.

Just a quick one, not sure if it's already been mentioned: I noticed a couple of quest book entries in the Elizabeth Shaw quest contain a comment at the end from Talisman, which was obviously not intended to show up in-game.
That actually shows up? HILARIOUS! Thanks for catching it. :doff

Escape actually WORKS? That's NOT intentional. I wonder how we can block that button from working...
Well, that was easy! Extract attached to PROGRAM\INTERFACE to put an end to the Escape key allowing you to Escape! :cheeky
Thanks for mentioning that! :woot

Attachments

• boal_map.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 117
I just tested this, but couldn't seem to break it. Got a Governor Hunting Quest at Bonaire to sink the pirate ship Wassenaar. True enough, she was there when I went to sea. Then I did:
- Went on the worldmap, waited a day and returned: Wassenaar still there.
- Went to worldmap, go to 3D sailing mode in the middle of nowhere and wait for a DirectSail update: Wassenaar still there.
- Used worldmap to sail to Aruba, went on my ship's deck, then DirectSailed back to Bonaire: Wassenaar still there.
So as far as I can tell, I can't seem to break it despite actively trying. :shock

Also, first time I saw the Wassenaar, she spawned close to the fort and was sunk quickly without much effort from me.
Second time, she was on the other side of the island though. Much more sensible.

Does the text still say "Pirate Hunting Quest" in your game? Do you have the latest update? I changed it to say "Governor Ship Hunting Quest" instead.
The target ship doesn't necessarily need to be a pirate; could be of any nationality hostile to the island you got the quest from.

Does the text still say "Pirate Hunting Quest" in your game? Do you have the latest update? I changed it to say "Governor Ship Hunting Quest" instead.
The target ship doesn't necessarily need to be a pirate; could be of any nationality hostile to the island you got the quest from.
it says pirate hunting quest.
i checked the island like 10 times now.. there is no ship.. there were some random natians aroudn there but i sunk them all so yeah where is the target ship? .. what would happen when i ignore the questship and the fort kills it, so that i dont do dmg to him maybe thats the problem? hmm-- Update?:nerbz

Well, that was easy! Extract attached to PROGRAM\INTERFACE to put an end to the Escape key allowing you to Escape! :cheeky
Thanks for mentioning that! :woot

Ohh noo what have i done???^^

That is intentional to prevent bugs with the Flags system. The game doesn't like it when there are less masts than it expects.

i can live with that.

By the way: i recently sunk and boarded some ships and there was one ship [SURRENDERED] with an captain who dont gave me the only option to kill him. in the dialoge i had the option to make him an officer (cool feature :) ) so i did that and went back to map. it was the 22.08.1752 as i left sea mode and quicksaved. I cruised around a little bit and the game crashed always when the clock hit 23.08.1752

i dont know why. i have no idea if the officer thing was the reason (most likely not :p)
but maybe some1 got a similar "bug"? is there an error log that may help you?

my workaround was: load the quicksaved game @ 22.08.1752, quickly go to sea mode - timex 30 and wait for 24.08.1752. sold the ships at the shipyard the new officer is not active and i have no problems anymore. whatever that was.. hm

Did you remove the "options" file from your main game folder yet? That might help as well.

I changed it again so the sound notification IS still there on Apprentice and Journeyman difficulties. Was considering changing it to Apprentice only though.
In the past, there was never any audio clue anyway. You could still tell. Remember that text "This meeting has real"ly enlightened you..."? Pay attention to that! :cheeky

Ahh of course thanks.:cheers

DirectSail is the ability to sail from island to island without using the worldmap. Whenever a DirectSail update occurs, it erases the target ships. So that is why we're preventing it.
I did test going to the worldmap and then returning to see if the target ship would remain, but it was indeed still there.
But that was a test with going on the worldmap and quickly returning.

Those DirectSail updates are therefore prevented, but ONLY at the target island.
I wonder if, while sailing around elsewhere, you experienced a DirectSail update as well that erased the target ship.
I had been hoping that DirectSail updates occurring at other island would not influence those target ships. But perhaps they do.
If that is the case, I'm going to have to remove that island limitation so that DirectSail will be disabled everywhere during such a quest.

That actually shows up? HILARIOUS! Thanks for catching it. :doff

Back