• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3.5 Internal WIP For Testing

Ouch! Looks like I broke the whole Nelson storyline both_reaction.c file. Guess what I'll be doing tonight....? :wp

This means that other sidequests will not work either, so there is no point testing them until that is fixed again.
Should be soon.

Opening post updated. Stuff changed:
- Corrected Nelson storyline both_reaction.c file so that it works again
- Moved several missing character init entries to general game folder
- Removed lots of sidequest code from Standard storyline
- Fred Bob set to officer number -1 for testing as per suggestion by @Grey Roger

New game required for Nelson to get the missing characters to show up.

Stuff confirmed by myself:
- Hardouin Aufort does walk around Martinique port
- Saving Toff's daughter works
- Girls are standing outside Kralendijk townhall for Strange Things quest
- Ambroz Bricenos does show up
- Artois and Nigel do show up at Nevis

So this one might actually begin to resemble "playable" again. Here's to hoping....! :wp

Just in case anyone is wondering where their posts went, I have just spent some time cleaning up this thread and grouping discussions per subject
instead of having them all here going through each other. :facepalm

New game required only for Nelson or for all storylines?
Probably not required for the other ones, no.
The missing characters should be there in Standard by default and the sidequests that use them are, if I recall, not yet enabled in any other storyline than the Nelson one.

Note that you don't have to play Nelson as a navy character; you can customize everything.
It just doesn't have a fun set of opening scenes just yet.

I DLed the latest zip and installed it while in the jungles of Bonaire, then sailed into port.

In the La Croix storyline there were no women to start the Strange Things quest, but Saving Toff's Daughter worked fine.

The town guards are a lot tuffer now! They have 350+hp and great weapons. Plus the doors are locked and when reinforcements arrive it is "game over". They go through us like a hot knife through butter. This really slows down the collecting of swords for my officers and means the crew members will have to use whatever we can collect while out in the jungles.

In the La Croix storyline there were no women to start the Strange Things quest, but Saving Toff's Daughter worked fine.
Indeed the women would require a New Game to show up, because I only recently moved them to the general game folder.
Even then, Strange Things wouldn't work because the La Croix storyline doesn't yet have the quest code added.

At the moment I am focusing on the Nelson one because it is nice and clean (and I'm trying to not break the Standard one in the process).
But all other storylines are going to be a bit behind a possibly only half-working as far as sidequests are concerned until this is all done.

The town guards are a lot tuffer now! They have 350+hp and great weapons. Plus the doors are locked and when reinforcements arrive it is "game over". They go through us like a hot knife through butter. This really slows down the collecting of swords for my officers and means the crew members will have to use whatever we can collect while out in the jungles.
The strength of the town guards should be the same as it always was, though the reinforcements may be harder to overcome.

It could be that the "everyone runs at you" + reinforcements + locked doors is a bit overpowered and makes the guards a bit too tough to tackle.
Though it shouldn't quite be impossible. And for guards at least, it is possible to steal from them without being caught and getting into trouble.
But that depends on luck....

On the other hand, making it much harder to get too-good weapons in the early game is pretty much exactly what I was hoping to accomplish.
Allowing you to loot high level items at game start basically messes up the game balancing by giving you an unfair advantage over random enemies.
This might set it to rights again, keeping you at the bottom of the food chain longer while hopefully not making things too impossible at the same time.

Would this influence how hard it is to make money as well, I wonder?
I remember you mentioned that seemed a bit too easy for the past few months.

Pieter, don't have the most recent up yet but when I went to get the special compass in the tortuga tavern the dialog was there, but he had no compass.

Pieter, don't have the most recent up yet but when I went to get the special compass in the tortuga tavern the dialog was there, but he had no compass.
Get the latest update. Should be good there.

I downloaded it installed it, loaded my save game it he doesn't have the compass.
It won't fix a save, because it was an initialization error upon Start New Game. You can try to press F11 before talking to Mr. Gibbs and see if that makes a difference.
If that doesn't work, try a New Game altogether and see what happens. That comes recommended anyway, because a bunch of needed sidequest characters weren't initialized either.

Well I tried F11 and that did not help so have now started a new game, and have encountered a new problem with the crew accompanying you on shore. I always play stormy start so I am always on shore at the beginning. This time when the game started I was accompanied by 2 crew before I talked to anyone. Later when I asked for 2 crew, one was unarmed.

BTW did take out the locked locations?

Well I tried F11 and that did not help so have now started a new game, and have encountered a new problem with the crew accompanying you on shore. I always play stormy start so I am always on shore at the beginning. This time when the game started I was accompanied by 2 crew before I talked to anyone. Later when I asked for 2 crew, one was unarmed.
Did you close the game before starting a new game? Perhaps the game doesn't "think" to switch the land crewmembers back off if you don't.

BTW did take out the locked locations?
You mean the locked location upon killing guards and stealing from merchants? Nope, that is still there.
Was I supposed to remove it? I don't really want to, though I do want to further improve on and balance that feature so it isn't too evil.

No,
I actually think it is a good thing to have, because you can still rob them, you just have to be more careful about where you do it and who is around.

I actually think it is a good thing to have, because you can still rob them, you just have to be more careful about where you do it and who is around.
Very true. It is just an added challenge but not impossible. More fun than straight-up disabling looting of town guards and item traders altogether.... :wp

I do think the "kill an item trader" penalty might be a bit excessive though. But then.... at least that would allow players to consider stealing without killing.

Well I like the reputation hit for killing them. I did discover that if rob them get wounded and wind up in the tavern you get some of their money and stuff but not all.

Starting a new game closing out fixed the initial problem of crew on the shore before you ask for them. However I asked for additional crew to follow me around in a tavern and he did but came unarmed so maybe you could look at that.

Well I like the reputation hit for killing them. I did discover that if rob them get wounded and wind up in the tavern you get some of their money and stuff but not all.
You always lose some of your stuff when you die.

Starting a new game closing out fixed the initial problem of crew on the shore before you ask for them. However I asked for additional crew to follow me around in a tavern and he did but came unarmed so maybe you could look at that.
Continued in separate Bug Tracker issue: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/tavern-hired-land-crewmember-not-equipped.24914/

Last edited:
Opening post updated. I added the improvements to the Select Storyline Interface as I mentioned here:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/goto/post?id=504841#post-504841

So please find a Free Play storyline and select some of the specific "named" character models to see what I mean.
It is quite easy now to adapt other character models to have names, years, ships, etc. linked to them as well.
That only requires editing initModels.c so anyone can do it in a minute or two.

Umm, why am I carrying a corpse around?
Beta 3 2015-03-25 14-43-53-59.jpg Beta 3 2015-03-25 15-21-05-27.jpg

Back