• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 3 Progress

Note that the Buy/Sell prices are only updated when you visit a store. So the longer ago that was, the more it might have changed in the meantime.

Hey Hylie, any chance you could write up some more notes on which routes are profitable?
We've got some Rumours about that in the game, but I'm pretty sure they're outdated and wrong.
Would be quite useful to have them be correct! :cheers

More trade routes? :nerbz

Ebony from Cuba, Hispaniola, and Puerto Rico to Jamaica and Cayman is profitable. Linen and ale CAN be profitable on the return trip. I usually smuggle there so am not really sure what Jamaica has.

Sugar from Grenada is profitable to any Dutch colony and silk works on the return.

It is best to set up a circular trade route like from the Spanish colonies to the French and Portagees, then to the Dutch and back to the Spanish. For instance I just traveled from Santo Domingo to Martinique and am now on my way from there to Kralendijk.

Cheers,

thanks for the insight Hylie ... but mostof what you mention is smuggling. I know how that works.

My question was about honest trade - meaning not dealing with contraband, but from store to store. That's what I rarely find profitable. As in my example, buying export-good and sell them where they are import-goods should be profitable. But it isn't.

Those routes are defined in PROGRAM\Rumour_Data.c and also should be copied into RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\rumour_strings.txt .
Any chance you could have a look at that, Hylie?

Indeed there have been quite a lot of comments about the trading system and I'm pretty sure it could use some work.
Unfortunately I also don't have much of a clue how it works, so haven't been able to do anything with it yet.
I'm quite curious to know at least what the system actually does do.

Cheers,

just took a short look at it.

I don't find any RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\rumour_strings.txt

The rumors are all a bit outdated, and refer to wrong colony names. Also, the trade route hints are not so bright. To ive an example ... one rumor suggests:
"I hear there's profit to be made in shipping Cinnamon from Conceicao to Redmond."
Cinnamon is sold at Camahogne for 139 and is sold at Santiago for 113 - that would mean me to pay 26 gold per Cinnamon that I carry.

That's exactly what I mean ... the normal trade without smuggling is not going to be profitable at all.

By the way, is this copying thing difficult? If not so, I'd gladly volunteer. It's about time I contribute something besides throwing in ideas :aar

Wha? That file isn't there? That's bizarre, I most definitely DO have it.
Have you looked through the other folders in RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS? It should be there somewhere.

The old colony names are being fixed properly by that TXT file. But the actual contents of those rumours are waaaay wrong.
They have to be, because they're pretty much 8-9 years old and a LOT has happened since. :facepalm

Copying? Copying what? If you refer to updating the rumour texts, that shouldn't be difficult it all.
It just requires replacing the wrong texts with more accurate ones.

@ Skyworm - The error on the screen means the encounter was bugged, had to be other ships but you got default ones.

I found that rumor_strings text but it is a solid wall of text that I can not read.

The regular trade items can be profitable too. That one rumor about cinnamon is a good one as cinnamon is one of the few items that one can make a small profit on when selling it at Port royal (Redmond).

Other items? Sailcloth and timber can make one a profit, as can medicaments. Gold and silver can sometimes be huge cash cows. Wine! Look into wine prices.

And one other matter ... just got this error:
The ships mentioned are placed ... no idea what the error wants to tell me.
AGH! I hoped that wouldn't be happening anymore.
Do you still have the compile.log from that encounter?

Indeed there is only one ship that fits those criteria, namely the Fluyt-of-War. And her chance value is only 12%.
Perhaps setting that value to 1.0 would help things.

Cheers,

Rumors:
Found them too. As Hylie said, a wall of text without any structure. Copying something into it looks easy, though I don't understand how the programm would make any difference between one rumor and the other.
The rumors are not overly accurate at all.
First, names are often wrong since we use our enlarged caribbean and historical correct island names. Ideally, they would be linked to each era seperately, or even better, to eaxh storyline.
For example, a rumor about a black frigate stealing children doen't make much sense when the missing children quest is not active in that storyline. Same goes for any rumors about a pirate ship crewed by the damned ... which only exists in two storylines.

Ship:
Sorry, don't have a log of that. But it occured an early explorers with dutch fleets only, so your guess with the fluyt of war may be right.
Though the fluyt of war does work in that era, I already had it as a pirate encounter.

Last edited:
The names are being corrected through stuff like #sisland_Oxbay# in the rumour_strings.txt files, so they should display correctly in the game.
There are also generic rumours and storyline-specific ones. Compare to PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\Rumour_Data.c for ones that only exist in the Nathaniel Hawk one.

might be the wrong place, but on Barbados, when exiting Bridgetown, the name in the top corner is still Oxbay canyon.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    987.3 KB · Views: 83
Is that a problem? It is a canyon and a path to the mines. What would be a good name for it?

Since it is no longer Oxbay, but Barbados, Oxbay Canyon may not be that fitting. Perhaps Barbados Canyon would be better ... but I admit I never found it disturbing :rumgone

Good catch. I've just made some changes to PROGRAM\Locations\init\Oxbay.x to hopefully fix this.
See attached. New game required for the change to take effect. Could anyone confirm if this makes it display properly as "Barbados canyon"?

Attachments

• Oxbay.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 85
I don't know if i am the only one, but i feel like looking/turning left or right with the mouse is kind of slow. This is kind of a turnoff because sword fights usually require faster movements. I have tried increasing the mouse horizontal and vertical sensitivity to maximum, no result. I doubt that option function. So, is there a way to tweak some files to fix this? My computer handles the game very well and i even have "ENB" on. By the way you guys did a great job. I am back after 5 years and no regrets because i admire what i see.

In the options menu there is a controls setting where you can adjust your mouse sensitivity and it does work for me.

If you know what you are looking for you might be able to adjust your mouse speed more in POTC-->program-->controls-->controls.c or init_pc.c. You should copy them first in case they get messed up.

Do i start a new game every time i tweak a file? So i found this in the control.c file which i believe might have something to do with mouse sensitivity. But i don't get it.

{
float fRealMouseXSens = 1.0;
float fRealMouseYSens = 1.0;

float fx = 0.5;
float fy = 0.5;
if( CheckAttribute(InterfaceStates,"mouse.x_sens") )
fx = stf(InterfaceStates.mouse.x_sens);
if( CheckAttribute(InterfaceStates,"mouse.y_sens") )
fy = stf(InterfaceStates.mouse.y_sens);

if(fx<=0.5) {fRealMouseXSens = 0.5 + fx;}
else {fRealMouseXSens = fx*2.0;}
if(fy<=0.5) {fRealMouseYSens = 0.5 + fy;}
else {fRealMouseYSens = fy*2.0;}

XI_SetMouseSensitivity( fRealMouseXSens, fRealMouseYSens );
}

Back