• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Build 14 Completion

I made a list that is probably not 100% correct that adds up to 30 to 38 ships. Some are re-skins like the Lydia flush deck frigates, and there are some variations on the HMS Endeavour including the Soliel Royal.

Could you upload a copy of the list, if possible?
It would be very useful for eliminating these ships. :yes

So it's generally easier if they're removed completely rather than fixed, I guess?
Yes. Can they be fixed? Sure, but it requires a modeler to do so.
And I think the VCO models are somewhat substandard when it comes to detail anyway. :(

Aye Aye! :dance

This a list of the ships that Yo Ho Ho was involved with.

Royal Brig -- brig_n1
Light Pinnace -- LightPinnace1
Light Pinnace 2 --LightPinnace2
Light Pinnace 3 -- LightPinnace3
NL Pinnace -- NL_Pinnace
war galleon(independent) -- Wargalleon1
heavy trader(French) -- WarGalleon2
heavy trader(English) -- WarGalleon3
heavy trader(Dutch) -- WarGalleon4
Jamaica merchant -- jamaicaShip1
4 masted galleon -- Galleon5, "GalleonEng"
4 masted galleon -- Galleon5, "GalleonEngW"
4masted galleon -- Galleon5, "GalleonEngFW"
Frigate Super -- FrigateNKSup This ship might be ok.
Lydia -- Lydia1
Lydia -- Lydia2
Lydia -- Lydia3
Lydia -- Lydia4
Sirius1 -- Sirius1
HMS Mordaunt -- Mordaunt1
Batavia1 -- NL_Batavia1
Batavia2 -- NL_Batavia2
Seven Provincien -- NL_SevenProvincien
Dutch Lineship -- NL_Lineship1
Wappen von Hamburg -- NL_Convoiship
Warship11 -- Warship11
Merchant11 -- Merchant11
Heavy Lineship -- HeavyLineship1 The slowest ship in the WBT.
Heavy Lineship -- HeavyLineship2 "" "" "" "" "" ""

HMS Endeavour model from VCO, modified by Razor -- HMSEndeavour
Spanish Ship of the Line -- SP_SotL
HMS Dauntless by Darth-me, model from Razor's Endeavour -- HMS_Dauntless
Soleil Royal -- SoleilRoyal Based on the Endeavour.

Additions/subtractions welcome.

Thanks miklkit.

brig_n1 - This one is straight from AoP.
NL_Pinnace - This one has a really nice paint job by Thomas the Terror; don't want to lose that one. :cheeky
Galleon5 - I think this one had her walk patch fixed at some point.
FrigateNKSup - This one is based on an original PotC model and should indeed be fine.
NL_Lineship1 - This is a proper high-detail custom model that we should keep by all means. :yes

These ones all have nice Dutch colour schemes; I'd hate to lose them, but I do think they're bugged like the others:
Batavia1 -- NL_Batavia1
Batavia2 -- NL_Batavia2
Seven Provincien -- NL_SevenProvincien
Wappen von Hamburg -- NL_Convoiship

We have no galley in the game, no. :no

Galleon5. I consider that ship to be unfinished. The walk file isn't too bad, but graphically it is hopeless. I sink it because it is too ugly to remain afloat.

Galleon5. I consider that ship to be unfinished. The walk file isn't too bad, but graphically it is hopeless. I sink it because it is too ugly to remain afloat.
Galleon 5 is the English 4 masted galleon, right? And she has THREE variations in the class system.
So 1) She's our only ENGLISH galleon, and 2) She has three purposes and fills some gaps in the class system.
My verdict is: she stays, but could do with some graphical improvements, no? :shrug

Also, I certainly agree that FrigateNKSup should stay; she's one of the 'Heavy Frigates' and looks great!
NL_Lineship1 and NL_Convoiship are stunning models which I can honestly say I have seldom seen in-game, and wish I had, so they should stay.
And NL_Pinnace looks great too, so she shouldn't leave.

I think the LightPinnace models look fine; I don't know about the walk files, though. :?
Mordaunt1, JamaicaShip1 and Wargalleon models look fine to me, and are also some of the East Indiaman variants, so should stay too. I think they're missing the walk files, but that can be fixed.

From what I can tell, all the others can be lost.
Except perhaps the ones Pieter mentioned; I've never really noticed Dutch colour schemes much, but these are great! :yes

Galleon 5 is the English 4 masted galleon, right? And she has THREE variations in the class system.
So 1) She's our only ENGLISH galleon, and 2) She has three purposes and fills some gaps in the class system.
My verdict is: she stays, but could do with some graphical improvements, no? :shrug

Aye! That is, IF someone is willing to repair them. How many years have they been in the game untouched? If they are not going to be repaired, then lose them all. I will take a class 4 Fluyt in a heartbeat.

Can the walk patches be fixed? Yes. But it requires someone to do it. And that's where the problem lies, as per usual. :modding

The Dutch colour scheme is perhaps not as well-known as the British black-and-yellow, but I love those green sterns and goldwork! :cheeky

I was just thinking that perhaps we should turn our modelers' attention to some serious fixing and improvement jobs on some of these ships.
I know they're busy making some BEAUTIFUL ships of their own, but once they've finished, perhaps we could ask really nicely...? :cheeky

Or we could ask them for replacements :blah: I'm sure we'd get over the loss if we had some replicas from the (VERY talented) ship modellers we have hanging around the forum :)

So what exactly is the problem with the walkfiles? Can't most players live without crew on some ships decks and/or without being able to walk everywhere on them?? I don't know, i suppose just delete the ships which really need to go, if they don't work properly.

Sorry if my very ill-informed opinions upset anyone :blah:

The ideal short term solution would be to somehow get the VERY talented modelers to repair these ships. Galleon5 might be the easiest to fix since it only needs texture replacement. It does fill a gap in the lineup.

The larger ships especially look empty without a crew running around, but they aren't a necessity. Walk patches on the other hand...... I just got finished capturing and getting into port a very nice looking Class 3 Pinnace of War. It wasn't until I tried to sail it that I discovered that my POV was less than knee high and I could not see a thing. Frustrating! It is the merchant11 ship. That ship will get sold and I won't waste my time capturing another one. It is a crying shame that all of the hard work that some modeler put into it will never be appreciated in the game.

I guess I'm a little strange, but I'd rather see all the ships left in - even the ugly ones. xD: I like as big a variety of them as possible. Granted, first-person view is really wonky on a few of the current ships, but then I just sell them. It just adds to the variety you see in battle and in port.

I guess what I'm trying to say is how much space is gained by tossing these vessels?

I was just thinking that perhaps we should turn our modelers' attention to some serious fixing and improvement jobs on some of these ships.
I know they're busy making some BEAUTIFUL ships of their own, but once they've finished, perhaps we could ask really nicely...? :cheeky

I don´t think it´d be worth the effort. Fixing models usually requires new uv-mapping, new textures and so on... Making a ship from scratch is more effecient and has the advantage that the model belongs to the community (this could become quite a crucial factor if the modding group decides to move to another game engine).

But it´s true that most of the Akella ships are butt-ugly :D

Bava's right. It is easier to construct a new ship than to truly minimalist apparel to all non-historical ships from Akella. I hope I offend anyone here. ;)

There are some interesting opinions here...
Firstly, I'd say the main reason to get rid of some of them is that our most recent models make some of these ships seem... very poor quality.
As for the walk files, I think any ships which originated from/are also on CoAS can have the sailorspoints converted easily now, thanks to the new conversion tool. :woot
That should sort out at least some of the crewless ships. But as for the ones from VCO with custom files, I think it's not even worth trying to repair the crew files if a ship is in a state of disrepair anyway.

On the bright side, we're receiving new high-detail AND historically accurate ships, so removing substandard material isn't going to put a huge dent in the ship variety.
Instead, we'll just get distracted by the beauty of the new ships! :shock

And one other thing is that it's not really Akella's ships which are a problem- it's the VCO ships we've added.
In my opinion, many of the PotC stock game models do look good (e.g. battleship 2, like the one in my signature :keith), despite not being historically accurate like the new models.
So it's mostly the VCO ships that need either removing or replacing with new models, except the ones which only need minor alterations (e.g. texture work).
That's my opinion anyway.

What's the texture problem on Galleon5?

The ships do help with variety, but I'm not convinced on variety at the expense of consistent high quality.

I'm not sure how much exactly we'll decrease the modpack size by removing the bugged ships,
but I reckon it might be anything between 50 to 100 MB or so.
The ship models use a lot of space and so do their textures.

I understand if modelers generally don't want to fix the ships we have, especially when they're substandard in detail and/or accuracy anyway.
It appears to me that, although Yo Ho Ho did a good job of adding more detail to them, the VCO ships are still underdetailed.
Admittedly, the original PotC and AoP/CoAS ships aren't the best either.

One thing that bothers me on some level is that there seems to be several styles of ships in the game.
You can tell if a ship came from PotC, AoP/CoAS or was uniquely modeled originally.
I generally am not sold on the AoP/CoAS style of ships, but do have a soft spot for most PotC ones,
especially the community-retextured versions.

What's the texture problem on Galleon5?
That's what I wondered. To me, she only looks stupid because she seems to have 'floating' guardrails. :blink:

The ships do help with variety, but I'm not convinced on variety at the expense of consistent high quality.
True, I mean we must admit, with the quality of these new ships, VCO ships just seem worse than ever, now.

I understand if modelers generally don't want to fix the ships we have, especially when they're substandard in detail and/or accuracy anyway.
It appears to me that, although Yo Ho Ho did a good job of adding more detail to them, the VCO ships are still underdetailed.
Admittedly, the original PotC and AoP/CoAS ships aren't the best either.
So perhaps the better alternative, in some cases, is to have replacement models made?
Perhaps even based on more accurate plans of similar real ships! :woot
That is, only if we really need a ship which has to be ditched, for the sake of filling a gap, AND have willing modelers.

One thing that bothers me on some level is that there seems to be several styles of ships in the game.
You can tell if a ship came from PotC, AoP/CoAS or was uniquely modeled originally.
I generally am not sold on the AoP/CoAS style of ships, but do have a soft spot for most PotC ones,
especially the community-retextured versions.
I guess they can be easily recognised, but there's not a lot more we can do to up the quality of stock ships.
I completely agree, PotC ships do seem to be nicer than ones from AoP/CoAS.
Many of them I remember from when they were all alone in the stock game, and now look at them- still shining, brighter than ever! :)
What still confuses me to this day is why Akella neglected some of the bare essentials for their ships, such as a simple wheel and some anchors.
I like what's been done to add those to most stock ships now, as it really makes them feel... well, more like ships. :keith
Which reminds me, there are STILL some stock ships and retextured variants without these essentials, which does kind of bug me.
It would be nice if, for our 'clean-up', we added at least a wheel and some anchors to any ships without them, don't you think?

Back