• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Centurion

The stays look perfect to me. Nice to see some steady progress. :onya

Rigging done. Staysails next.
Centurion-6.jpg

Nice. I'll be especially interested in updating the version I have in COAS when the flags locators are on. :bounceMK

Flags will be last. The bowsprit is pretty much done. Next comes the stay sails between the main masts. Two should do. Then how about a trapezoidal one in front of the mizzen mast?
Centurion-7.jpg

Great work! glad to see this ship is finally being finished up! that staysail arrangement sounds right to me. Perhaps this is wrong for a ship of this era, but shouldn't they all be trapezoidal?

Actually they will be trapezoidal, but will look very close to triangular. The one in front of the mizzen will probably be more tall than wide.

Also, the Bellona has the high camera bug. And, the Bellona probably looks more like the Amsterdam than the current Amsterdam. I'm wondering what it would take to make her look like the Amsterdam? :nerbz

The main stays'l should be triangular. I would expect to see a mizzen stays'l instead of a mizzen topmast stays'l.

Also, the Bellona has the high camera bug. And, the Bellona probably looks more like the Amsterdam than the current Amsterdam. I'm wondering what it would take to make her look like the Amsterdam? :nerbz
The Bellona is on my list of major modelling projects, after finishing the Surprise/Providence, with the intention of retouching various details and upgrading her for Hearts of Oak (along with a 1760 version).
However, converting her to an Amsterdam look-alike would be very difficult, considering the size and shape differences. As I said before, the best solution would be for someone to build an accurate Amsterdam from scratch.

I myself have been beta testing the centurion and I'd like to report (if you don't already know that is) that the stern chaser guns don't appear to work.

I'm guessing that the locators for the stern chasers haven't been added yet.

The locators are there and should be working properly, except that I named them wrong. :facepalm
After naming them correctly they now work perfectly. Just unzip this file and drop it into your Centurion folder and let it replace the old one.
Centurion-8.jpg

Attachments

• HMS_Centurion_cannons.7z
    274.4 KB · Views: 133
Being very picky about the sail proportions: could you move rey_a3 down by about one unit? Then possibly move the lower ends of the fore and main tops'ls and t'gallants inwards by about 0.2 units.
That's based on what I did with the Rossiya, which seemed to give a really nice shape to the sail plan.

Armada: I will look into it tomorow. Watched a movie today and going out with my main squeeze to dinner tonite. :love

PC: If this is what you are expecting, I expect you will be disappointed.
Centurion-9.jpg

That stays'l looks problematic, to say the least. Even in real life, it looks like it would get in the way of the lateen. I'm guessing it would only be set in certain conditions?

Oh, poop. Top mast stays'l it is, then.

In real life the gaff wouldn't get in the way unless the ship were tacking. Then the sail would be doused and reset on the opposite tack after gaff passed through amidships. Setting and dousing that sail would only take a matter of seconds. When normally set, the wind would cause it to fill away from the gaff and the forward part of the gaff would be on the weather side of the vessel, with they stays'l filled to leeward.

Is this the layout you want? It came out better than I thought it would.
Centurion-10.jpgCenturion-11.jpgCenturion-12.jpg

Hehe. At the restaurant they asked when we would next be wearing our pirate outfits. :cheers

That looks spot on, to me. Nice work! :thumbs1

Sounds like you've made quite an impression on that restaurant. :aar

Two different styles of stay sails.
Centurion-13.jpgCenturion-14.jpg

We have only gone there twice dressed up. There is another restaurant that was a brothel for 70 years that called the police on us. We have not gone back since. :bonaparte

I ot this far today before I burned out. Just trying to decide what the laast stay sail will look like. Will it be triangular and run from the main mast to the lower stay, or will it be more square and stretch from the lower stay to the upper stay?
Centurion-15.jpg

I would say taller, trapezoidal, and a bit narrower, based on the large gap in the sail plan beneath the sail.

Back