• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Centurion

Ok, tell me what is wrong. Otherwise I'm done.
Centurion-17.jpgCenturion-18.jpg

The main topmast stays'l should be trapezoidal. I misunderstood you earlier. The mizzen topmast stay'sl should be trapezoidal, but only about half as tall. The bottom should be horizontal.

Other than what Post Captain said, I think you could do away with the mizzen pennant. Nice to see the rigging near to completion! :keith

I could not find a combination that would remove that pennant and leave the others alone, so I just shrank it as much as possible. There seems to be a minimum size for them and this is it.
Centurion-22.jpg

Have you double-checked all the flag and penn locators? And the ensign/pennant lines in Ships_init.c?
There must be a combination that works. Other ships have that same flag layout and don't have any problems.

simply remove the pennant locators from the mizzenmast file, and it shouldn't show up despite whatever is in the ships_init.c file

I finally found a combination that works. Simply removing the locators was the 1st thing I tried. Then came the search for the right combination.
Centurion-23.jpg

See page 37, sail plan of 1760 for the approximate proper shapes of the main topmast and mizzen topmast stays'ls. They're still a little off.

Sail Plans

I think it's worth waiting until Hylie has finished the rigging. It's very near completion now, and he'll put the files into one package when it's done. ;)

I think you're 99% of the way there. It looks like the mizzen stays'l still needs to have its lower edge raised to reduce the sail's height by about 1/3.

????? That is actually in accordance with the drawing in Post Captain's thread on rigging. I personally like it shorter.

Those drawings apply to Napoleonic vessels. Post Captain even referenced a different sail plan in post #310, but I don't actually know if it can be viewed online.

See page 37, sail plan of 1760 for the approximate proper shapes of the main topmast and mizzen topmast stays'ls. They're still a little off.

Sail Plans

Try looking at the above information in Seamanship in the Age of Sail in google books. If that doesn't work, I'll post the image from my own copy. My rigging thread shouldn't be used to reference specific vessels. Too much changed over the years. It's more for facilitating the discussion of rigging using the proper terms.

Back