• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Centurion

Fifty guns were fairly small. Here's the 50 Gun Hms Trusty on the lefft compared to a tiny sixth rate 28 gun frigate a hundred yards or so in the background. (it's been hauled over for work on the underwater hull)
p-tall_ships071.jpg
I find that paint scheme particularly attractive on the later two-deckers...

Well the Centurion is a 60 gunner, not a 50, but is very near the size of later 50 gunners like the HMS Leopard, only the Leopard carries fewer guns of heavier caliber (except for the lower deck which is still 24 pounders.) But I think Kriswood is right in that when the Centurion was built she wouldve been considered fairly large for a two decker, I hadn't taken that into account. There were 70 gunners then I think, but I'm pretty sure 64s, 74s, and certainly 2 decker 80 gun ships hadnt been invented yet, or were only experimental. The Bellona was one of the first english built 74s, and she was launched in 1760, 28 years after the Centurion. However, after the invention of the 74 the Centurion wouldve been considered a bit small, and would have been considered too small and lightly armed for the line of battle by Nelsonic times, and possibly even by the American revolution. ships of her size were certainly still built by then, despite this (Mainly by the British, Dutch, and Spanish) for the British they were often flagships on distant stations, and there was usually one or two British 50s or 64s in the carrbiean as late as the war of 1812.

She was ordered in 1729 as a 50, then reordered as a 64 before construction started. After her circumnavigation she was taken apart and rebuilt as 50 gun Eagle of 1745. A bit after that she got her name back when a new HMS Eagle was ordered. So the answer is that she was both a 64 and a 50 at different times in her career.

As for ship classes in general, I've seen 2 deck 80s from at least the 1690s. In the early 18th century the British used 70s while the French used 74s. The British switched to 74s with Bellona and her sister ships.

64s stayed in use all through the period, as far as I know. Centurion herself was a flagship in the Caribbean prior to the circumnavigation.

She was ordered in 1729 as a 50, then reordered as a 64 before construction started. After her circumnavigation she was taken apart and rebuilt as 50 gun Eagle of 1745. A bit after that she got her name back when a new HMS Eagle was ordered. So the answer is that she was both a 64 and a 50 at different times in her career.

Well, I guess that that's the "some reason."

all the guns are on board now (and they actually fit too! ;) ) http://www.flickr.com/photos/64339105@N08/7078205649/in/photostream
I know I still need to make the path , but can anyone think of anything else I havent done yet that needs to be done before .gm export?

Also, does anyone know of a good dark green planking texture I could use for the dutch version?( I was thinking of a color scheme close to the Amsterdam http://www.flickr.com/photos/31068574@N05/4844111264/)

Hmm. The FWzP might be too bright. The NL_Neptunus has a dark green, but I don't know how it would look on a big ship.

I know I still need to make the path , but can anyone think of anything else I havent done yet that needs to be done before .gm export?
You'll need some gunport hatches in relevant positions, like I added to the Trinity model.
Also, you might want to cut the mast stumps as well. They're not essential, but certainly make falling masts more authentic.

Excellent work on the rest of the ship, by the way!

You'll need some gunport hatches in relevant positions, like I added to the Trinity model.
Also, you might want to cut the mast stumps as well. They're not essential, but certainly make falling masts more authentic.

Excellent work on the rest of the ship, by the way!

Ah yes, the mast stumps! ill get those on there ;) hmm im worried that the anchor might be tooo close to some of the bow ports for their gun hatches, but ill see what I can do. :keith The new constitution green color would work well I think. did you modify the green for just the constitution texture, or did you do the seperate green planking texture that was based off of it too?

I could make some accurate gunport lids if you want. It'd only take me a day. Maybe tomorrow after work?

The new constitution green color would work well I think. did you modify the green for just the constitution texture, or did you do the seperate green planking texture that was based off of it too?
Oh yes, that texture! I did make a separate version for the US_FirstRate and US_Bellona models. You can download it here: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Experienced%20Captain/For%20Captain%20Armstrong/wood_grn.tga.7z
I'm not sure how it will fit the model's UVs, so you may need to make some adjustments.

Quick question about gunport lids. Do they have to be vertical? In the historical Centurion there would have been two ports that opened horizontally like a book. See the previous attachment of Rippon for an example. When the port was between deadeyes they had them open this way to prevent bumping into deadeyes or ropes.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=8328

I've started modeling them this morning. Not sure when I'll have enough time to finish them but shouldn't be TOO terribly long >.<

There's no restriction on how the gunport lids are made, so you can do whatever you feel is best for the model. She's your ship, after all. :onya
The only thing I would say is to try to be conservative with the polycount, if possible, for obvious reasons.

Aye, make the gunports however you think will work Kriswood :) and thanks! somehow I didnt see your earlier post, sorry about that. :facepalm

They tend to be textured onto the lids rather than modelled, especially the more detailed ones.

I've uploaded /KrisWood/KrisWood-Centurion-FinalCenturionGunportLids.obj to the FTP. They need to be textured still, I ran out of time to work on them.

Thanks man! no problem, I can deal with the texturing :keith
I finished the mast stumps yesterday, so I think these gunport lids and the path file(which is what determines where the player can move around on deck) is all thats left before I export to .gm format. :dance

Back