• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Centurion

Wow you guys sure wasted no time getting this beauty ready. :yes

How soon before she's fully exported and which of the two game FTPs (PotC/CoAS) will she be in?

And will you guys be tackling Remus77s San Fernando next?

Well unfortunately probably longer than you think, once it is in .gm format, locators have to be assigned to tell the game where to fire cannons and place masts and spars, also the sails need to be made and the running rigging made using locators. Also I think a path file is needed? it controls where the crew can go. In the past I have relied on Craiggo to do everything after the .gm export, because I dont know how to do any of those things :shrug Unfortunately I put my two latest ships on the FTP in .gm format ready for him to work on about 3 weeks ago, and I haven't really heard anything from him since then. :?
If Craiggo no longer has time to help with this sort of thing, I will probably have to figure out how to do it myself, which means the centurion will take longer because I want to get the ships I built myself ingame first, and then I would do the Centurion. If Craiggo Returns and can work on this ship, it will likely be for COAS first (thats what he did for my first ship) but I only have POTC so any ships I work on will definately be available in POTC at some point. I can only speak for myself of course, but I think that after I get the Centurion ingame I will just work on models of my own, rather than importing ones from POTBS. (the ships of the early 1700s just don't interest me that much compared to those of the 1790s to early 1800s)

If Craiggo no longer has time to help with this sort of thing, I will probably have to figure out how to do it myself, which means the centurion will take longer because I want to get the ships I built myself ingame first, and then I would do the Centurion.
If you want to learn how to do the locators yourself, then that might be to your advantage, as you can apply the knowledge to future projects.
Also, using Maya is a great help, as you can physically position temporary locators rather than having to guess their intended positions as Craiggo would have to do.
I could even write a quick tutorial, if you want, on how to import the locators from TOOL into Excel and back again, because Excel is so much more efficient than TOOL for this purpose.

If you want to learn how to do the locators yourself, then that might be to your advantage, as you can apply the knowledge to future projects.
Also, using Maya is a great help, as you can physically position temporary locators rather than having to guess their intended positions as Craiggo would have to do.
I could even write a quick tutorial, if you want, on how to import the locators from TOOL into Excel and back again, because Excel is so much more efficient than TOOL for this purpose.
A tutorial on that would be great! :woot Hopefully craiggo can still do the Rev and Volage, but either way that would be very helpful :onya

Did you get the gunport lids I uploaded to the FTP? The ones between the shrouds open in their middles like window shutters. The one under the anchor would have opened like a normal lid, the anchor should just be higher up. This was never an issue for PotBS because it has no lids so I didn't take them into account when I made it.

Yep, those are what I used! there are two like that that do, just the foremost port under the poop deck has the problem with going through the shroud because it isnt one of those. I'll see what I can do with it, might just make it like the others that open at the middle. for the one under the anchor, I was thinking that it might fit If I split it in the middle, but horizontally, so it opened more like this. http://etc.usf.edu/c...nstitution.html might not be historically accurate for the time period though, but It would probably look less strange than opening sideways as it is now.

The gunport lid on the quarterdeck is a problem because the aftmost shroud is too far forward. I've uploaded a fixed obj (fixedshrouds.obj) of only the effected objects.

As far as I can tell from models the port under the anchor, and the anchor placement, are correct. Their solution would have been to not completely open the port when the anchor is set, just leave it enough that it hits the anchor and the gun can still fire.

A 1735 60gun ship with anchor in place, note the gunport lid:
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/443/media-443357/large.jpg

Centurion with painted lids, note the half open lid in this spot:
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/321/media-321937/large.jpg

Centurion without anchor in place, note the hinges show this is definitely supposed to be a standard hinge
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/mediaLib/660/media-660240/large.jpg

Looking great!

I just noticed you'd replaced my wheel! I'd used an example from a contemporary 60 gun model that was different from the usual full sized wheel because there wasn't any good source for the actual wheel and thought it would add some variety and illustrate how wheels were still a new concept at the time and still under some experimentation.

If you continue using the current wheel, you should omit the aft one. Double wheels came along a bit later I think.

oops, sorry! I didn't realize it was historically accurate, i just thought it was some sort of placeholdler or something:facepalm Ill omit the aft wheel:onya

Dutch version looks great, and dutch!

Would it be terribly difficult to put my original wheel back? I don't want to ask you to do a lot of extra work, I'd just love to see my original art in-game. :) If it's a lot of work please don't invest a lot of time in it though!

I suppose, I feel like in real life that wheel wouldve been difficult to turn because there was so little leverage, but it is your ship.;) noticed the rippon model didn't have this wheel, which ship did you base it off?

I based it on HMS Lion 1738, a 60-gun ship of the 1733 establishment.

Attachments

• lion1738wheel.jpg
    lion1738wheel.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 201
Cool, very close to the age of the centurion then.:)
If I were to get this ship exported to .gm format with the path file made, and I uploaded the .gm files, would someone be willing to do the locator work and coding and whatever else is neccessary to get her ingame? I am unsure about the state of my other ships and I may have to do all such work for the Volage, Revolutionnaire, and 18 gun brig myself, which would mean it could be quite a long time until I get back to working on the Centurion. So if anyone thinks they might have a chance to get the Centurion ingame in the next month or so, I'd be happy to get the files ready and upload them:keith

I'm no good at doing the hull work. There are things that I have never learned how to do, like walk files. But I could help with the rigging as long as Maya is not needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:doff I can do everyhting that needs to be done in maya, it's just the part after .gm export that I don't know how to do.

I take it back about the double wheel. Victory 1737 which was built at the same time by the same shipwright has one:

ok, Ill put the aft one back in then.:onya that is a very nicely built model in that picture, The Victory of 1737 mustve been one of the last examples of a warship with a double poop deck. I wonder what the extra cabin was needed for? usually its wardroom, captain's cabin, admirals cabin from the bottom up, not sure what they would do with a fourth

Back