• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Centurion

Oh wow, 3 or 4 years of working on this and I didn't model a flagpole for the bowsprit? That's silly of me...

Oh well... Those are pretty antiquated and silly if you ask me- highly overrated. :cheeky

Not the bowsprit topmast, the flagpole. It's either the ensign or the jack, I always mix them up. They were used at least up to the American revolution, I don't know much about ships after that time.

The flagpole was what I was referring to.
It should be a jack, if memory serves. An ensign is displayed from the flag halyard on the spanker.

Oh well... Those are pretty antiquated and silly if you ask me- highly overrated. :cheeky

I know you didn't mean anything by it, but for someone that's usually so sensitive about PC, I find the comment glib. :whipa

That statement is both subjective and closed minded. It would be like someone that liked cars from the 1950s or 60s making fun of those "antiquated" cars of the 1930s.

I for one LOVE the earlier rigs and don't find them "silly" at all. I find them both elegant and charming - as well as very aesthetically pleasing - just as I do the rakish high sterns and decorative statuary. The 17th century saw an amazing and fast paced revolution/evolution in rigging. In some cases these innovations were guarded secrets (like we guard weapons systems technology now). Many of the types of blocks, lacing, routing, layout and terms came from this time - and oh BTW many of the names and terms are altogether different from today's common lexicon. If one is to truly appreciate rigging, they should know the history behind how the advanced rigs of your preferred era came to be. A little respect for my preferred era would be nice. I've said it before, it is a question of subjective taste and preference. I guess I just like "silly" things then. :shrug

I'm not trying to start a fight and think you are a great guy Post Captain, that comment just grated me the wrong way. Perhaps you knew it would??? :razz

So back to the topic.....

The new textures did help a lot. The masts, rigging, figurehead, and gratings now have texture. However the bowsprit and bowsprit rigging, some of the deck items, part of the ships launch and the taffrail flagpole are still without texture.

As far as the image is concerned, I have done some really crazy custom tweaking of my camera so that I can zoom way in and way out. I can achieve some really neat views which are really nice when you are panning and moving. So the ship is fine. You are just seeing some "visual bending" from my camera's focus from certain aspects or zoom. Here are some more screens with the additional textures applied. MK
start_121001_2124501.JPG
start_121001_2126515.JPG
start_121001_2127038.JPG
start_121001_2128269.JPG
start_121001_2130315.JPG
start_121001_2131011.JPG
start_121001_2132058.JPG
start_121001_2132349.JPG
start_121001_2132249.JPG

No need to react like that; I was only kidding in order to alleviate the gravity of KrisWood's accidental exclusion of that particular piece of anatomy. Sometimes sarcasm can be a bit difficult to convey through a computer. (A bit wordy, but there you go.) They did in fact have legitimate purposes that were eventually phased out. However, having worked on tall ships, I'd think having a flag pole like that would get in the way of routine, day-to-day sailing. I certainly prefer it when Pilgrim's flag pole is down and stowed. When those truly become useful is during combat, when they give you an extra location to send up signals, thereby increasing the variety of signals that can be raised.

Edit: Geoff Hunt's Centurion painting is missing the bowsprit flagpole as well. I'd normally avoid using paintings as references, but all his works are immaculately researched. My best guess is that those could have been taken down in heavy weather or during the ship's day-to-day operation. Come to think of it, Pilgrim has a suspicious flag pole-sized slot in it that is also unused.

Edit II: by the way... rigging things we still need:
more stays on all the upper masts (topmast and t'gallant stays)
fore and aft stays'ls and heads'ls
Besides that, it's looking good... Very good, as a matter of fact.

Soo.... "Yes we do", but not yet released/included in the latest update. Right?
Right. You'd know if it were ready for the next update, because the thread prefix would say "Released". :razz

MK: Ah, sorry about that, I misread the name of a texture and thought it was already in CoAS. :facepalm
I've updated the texture pack now, which should take care of it; "wdodGrainU2" was missing.

The bowsprit is named "mast0" in the pack of fixed masts I uploaded, as that's the name Hylie had given it in the files he sent me.
Just rename it to "mast1" for now, to replace the old one, and it should work properly.

Right. You'd know if it were ready for the next update, because the thread prefix would say "Released". :razz
This old salt does not understand all those newfangled... thread prefix thingeys! :whipa

Now I just need some finished in game screenies to put up, gonna put the high poly version of the figurehead in my gallery too, I think.

Probably already said it somewhere in this thread, but...the C is one of the most visually impressive (and accurate) 3d ships I´ve ever seen. Outstanding work, Kris!

MK: Ah, sorry about that, I misread the name of a texture and thought it was already in CoAS. :facepalm
I've updated the texture pack now, which should take care of it; "wdodGrainU2" was missing.

The bowsprit is named "mast0" in the pack of fixed masts I uploaded, as that's the name Hylie had given it in the files he sent me.
Just rename it to "mast1" for now, to replace the old one, and it should work properly.

Thanks Armada!

Its almost there. Mast2 is missing the main topmast stay now though. Mast(0)/1 is missing some rope texturing also. I used the old mast 2 in these screens because I like it better with the main topmast stay. All it needs now is flags.

It's great to see it in game. I've waited a long time for this one. With Trinity and now Centurion, I have been able to get rid of some other ships I had more frequently occurring in English convoys/squadrons and encounters. Now they have a much more realistic feel. Having these ships in for testing (even if they are not completely finished) has helped me get this version of Eras almost done - putting in finishing touches. I just need Craiggo to finish my Dutch Frigate and Kris to get the Zeven Provincien done and Beta 1 of Eras will be ready.

start_121002_1743271.JPG
start_121002_1752463.JPG
start_121002_1755564.JPG
start_121002_1733043.JPG
start_121002_1733097.JPG
start_121002_1731487.JPG
start_121002_1732173.JPG
start_121002_1732268.JPG
start_121002_1734111.JPG
start_121002_1735550.JPG

That whole mast0/1 thing is to get better battle sails. It raises the spritsl so that the bow chasers have a clear shot. There are screenies in this thread somewhere.

Wow, coming from potbs as I do, I never realized what a huge difference running rigging makes! It makes her look so much more like a real ship.

A couple notes about rigging. No rigging plan for centurion exists that I know of. I used three main sources; the plan for Oxford 1727 by the same shipwright, 1745 establishment plans and models, and 1719-1733 establishment models including centurion. The only part that disagrees with the centurion model is the pole atop the mizzen, where I've put a pendant staff as shown in the Oxford plan for variety's sake. If you have a 1733 establishment plan for a 60 gunner, I'd love to see it.

Also, all the masts and rigging were made before I found reference materials detailing the bow of the ship. The only thing I changed to accommodate the newly added chasers was the main stay. I did not check to see if the chasers would have a clear shot. >.< Please make any adjustments needed to clear obvious obstructions.

Speaking of obstructions it looks like you've got a sail tangled in your shrouds.

When you've got it all finished could you take some screenies without the modified camera angle, or tell me where I can get the game? :)

Lots of ships have a problem with the bow chasers. One has to rename mast1 to mast0 or mast 5 or 7 or......in order to get the spritsl to raise up out of the way in battle sails.

Err, which game do you not have?

I don't have any if them, but would especially like whichever one these screenshots are from.

Its almost there. Mast2 is missing the main topmast stay now though. Mast(0)/1 is missing some rope texturing also. I used the old mast 2 in these screens because I like it better with the main topmast stay.
For mast1/0, it looks like you're still using the old version. The textures show up correctly with the newer version I uploaded.
The old mast2 is the one with broken UVs, so the textures won't show up properly, no matter what you do. You have to use the fixed version.

Don't worry about the missing stays. They will be added later via rope locators; you just need to give Hylie a chance to get round to it.

Kris: Don't worry, there will be plenty of screenies from both games when this ship is finished. ;)

Kris: In that case you would be wanting Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships.
Then you would be wanting modern Knight's eras mod when he releases it. Here is a rough comparison between GOF2 and POTC.
HMS_Victory GOF2.jpg
US_FirstRate.jpg

Back