• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Centurion

Ok, I finally got the Centurion into an install. Two installs now have broken consoles. :rumgone

The first thing I noticed is that two lines are missing from the bowsprit. I can add them easily enough with locators, but would it be better if they were full thickness? Centurion-7.jpgCenturion-8.jpgCenturion-4.jpgCenturion-6.jpg

From a structural standpoint, yes. Those were responsible for holing up the foremast.

Well, almost all ships have them modeled as regular ropes, including the Victory, Constitution, and Trinity. The best I could do is double up on the ropes to make them look thicker.

Real life is getting hectic now and I can not say for sure when this ship will be finished. The actual work should go quickly as it seems this ship has a pretty conventional layout and looks easy to work on.

The first thing I noticed is that two lines are missing from the bowsprit.
That was a conscious decision to prevent the ship from looking weird when either the bowsprit or foremast falls.
Almost every other ship uses rope locators to fill their role, and it looks absolutely fine.
How many times do I need to say it?! :walkplank

Yesterday was the day before today and the day after the day before yesterday.
(Just trying to be helpful here... :rolleyes: )

I can understand not remembering a week ago, but not even remember tomorrow...? You need to have your brain examined! :whipa

thats strange, i specificly remember fixing those...it's not a huge deal but if someone could adjust the placement oof the objects so they fit right it would be better

thats strange, i specificly remember fixing those...it's not a huge deal but if someone could adjust the placement oof the objects so they fit right it would be better
Ah, but I had to go back to the original version of the model to fix the masts recently, so your changes weren't preserved. :facepalm
I saw the misalignments but thought nothing of it at the time, seeing as it's not overly noticeable.

Good catch, Hylie!

Also a minor historical nitpick that exists because FLS's art department never listens to coloration advice, I believe the anchor bouies and their ropes would have been black.

Strictly speaking, the standing rigging would have been tarred black as well. Black ropes elsewhere would also have to be tarred to be made black.

That's what I thought but didn't want to say without knowing for sure! My first version that I submitted to FLS had all black ropes but they went and retextured it without consulting me, so when I resubmitted it with the finished figurehead I textured it all to use the light ropes they use on everything.

Minor nitpicking..................It is bouy for one and bouys for plural.

They appear to have no textures.

They use the 'checker.tga' texture, which was assigned by default in the export process. I didn't know what they were supposed to look like, so didn't assign a specific texture.
Changing them to use 'checkr1.tga' should turn them black. However, making the ropes black means modifying 'AOP Wood.tga'.

The bouys were unwrapped to use potbs' Wood-main.tga because I modelled them after the ones in the anatomy of the ship royal Caroline (like a barrel with ropes tied round it). In the model of Ripon 1735 however, it is wrapped horizontally with tarred rope, then tied in the same manner as royal Caroline.

You could use the same texture as the hull, or rewrap it to I use the same texture as the bands of rope that hold the bowsprit down that I know the name of but which escaped my head just as I was about to recall.

Back