• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Cinematic Trailers

Because it's exactly where I left it before I left the island. I can even go close to the fort etc and see the fort WHILE my ship is in the middle of nowhere. Meanwhile, my ship (and the battle around it) is nowhere to be found...I just posted again though. It's only doing it on certain storylines. M&C is unaffected. Caymen (or whatever island it was that I started on) was fine, then going to sea was fine.

EDIT:

Could it be possible it's staying in my ram somehow then activating as part of a bug? Or is that physically impossible? :facepalm

No worries, I can get on with it without using those storylines/islands for now. Just seems an odd one, as you say. It's randomly happening now so I think perhaps it's something I'm doing ie not sailing far enough. Pretty sure I was in the middle of nowhere though :/

Back on topic: Am I to include Disney/Akella's logo etc? As obviously I'd need permission to do that and whilst it is their game, using their logo/image seems a bit dodgy...just give them credit in the text for now?

Last edited:
Ok, I think I know what might have been going on here.

In my enthusiasm I used the free cam first on the beach, then on deck, then at sea, then again when back at sea. Just to play with various angles. Well, I've been playing since and it hasn't happened since those first couple times...when I was also using it whilst standing on deck in the cutscene between land and sea. It's probably that which was screwing it up, as you it centers every time you start it. Maybe it was still locked to the deck? Which is obviously still available whilst at sea, thus providing us with a logical link between the two? I don't even begin to understand how the coding works though so I could be totally off...

@Robert Nutter
Hey mate - I can do some V/O anytime mate so send me the text and a description (preferable a raw cut of where you want it as well)

I will have a listen through the music you sent me tomorrow when I have the time :)

Good stuff, thanks! I'll get some text to you in a few days or so and hopefully we can take it from there:onya And by all means, if you have the time!

Back on topic: Am I to include Disney/Akella's logo etc? As obviously I'd need permission to do that and whilst it is their game, using their logo/image seems a bit dodgy...just give them credit in the text for now?

I doubt Akella would have a problem with it, we have used it many times in the past. It is their game after all, I am sure they wont mind you reminding people who made it. I am not to sure about Disney's logo, though we have borrowed many things from them as well and never had a problem. I think we are within fair use with a lot of it, as long as we are not trying to make money off of it.

For logo use, I'd say just use whatever we had for the previous trailers as well.
Giving credit at the beginning seems to me fairer than not doing so.
Why would they object to their logo being used in a trailer that is actually for a game that they made?

Just as long as it does not look like we are actively collaborating with either, I am sure usage of logo is without problematics.

One way would of course to just include the old logo intro with akella and Disney, and then introduce the PA logo - them run the respective logo for which video is portrayed (HoO or New Horizon)

Just in my opinion - even though old and gritty - running the old "yo ho, yo ho a pirate life for me" intro is so full of nostalgia that I would use it still
But that's just my personal opinion.

You must do what you feel is the best approach

The Beta 2 trailer had all the other logos as well and the Beta 3 one only has the New Horizons and PA! Logos.
Either way is fine by me. The video that follows is the most important anyway. ;)

I really like the old Yohoyoho PA title so I'm probably going to use that at the end, and see if I can find a short akella one for the beginning. Who made the cannonball title for New Horizons out of interest?

Who made the cannonball title for New Horizons out of interest?
Thomas the Terror did.

I really like the old Yohoyoho PA title so I'm probably going to use that at the end, and see if I can find a short akella one for the beginning.
You know you can find all videos in the RESOURCE\VIDEOS folder of PotC, right?
Just to be sure. :cheeky

Thanks Pieter, I'll check both him and that out! :cheeky

On another note which @Thagarr or @Hylie Pistof may have experience with, I'm having a serious issue getting AVI into my editing suite (you guys must think I'm making problems here...:rolleyes:). It's embarrassing to admit but I can't imagine why it won't work. My only answer is possibly a corrupt decompression tag within the recording codec, though that wouldn't explain how Quicktime can still play it, which it can...

I've recorded using FRAPS (paid-for version). AVI is obviously the least lossey wrapper available in Windows, so I went for that. So I've then used Windows Converter Lite (a brilliant program which has never let me down before for bridging the PC-OSX gap) to get it into an expanded MP2, then MPEG Streamclip AND 5DtoRGB (both also exceptional programs) to get that into a more useable format (ie ProRes 422, h.264, Cineon SX; hell I'd even take MP4 at this stage...). But all that seems to be coming out the other end is the sound. FCPX, DaVinci Resolve, Premiere and After Effects CS6 are all turning their collective noses up at it. Anyone here with more experience than me using old windows formats with new software willing to offer advice? Or possibly a better recording software than FRAPS? I know Hylie recommended one before but I can't find where...what was that called again? :type1

EDIT: After Effects *is* accepting the MP2 now, but it's an absolute pain having to render everything through that before even starting to edit...:/ Though it does mean I *can* be getting on with it whilst sorting the workflow out!

Last edited:
It's really been too long since I messed with any video editing, I never did a whole lot of serious stuff anyway. One open source program you might try though is Handbrake, I am not that familiar with it, but I hear it is much more robust than it used to be. HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

I have Handbrake (not sure which version but it's a few years old now) and I've found that it can be very biased when it comes to dealing with certain 4.0.0-based colour codecs so I uninstalled it...probably should give it a try though :)

Just tried the latest Handbrake, and it worked on the WMV intro, but the only options are MP4 and MKV meaning I still need to convert it again...less than ideal but better than AVI I suppose! o_O Thanks for the suggestion Thagarr!

That's great footage! Might I be able to use it? I'm trying to use mostly my own footage for this one (as I have a fairly strict narrative to follow) but that'd work great if I can add it in somewhere!

I'll be honest, I've never stumbled across format factory but now I think about it, it worked on the HoO video you sent me before, so I'm definitely giving it a try! FRAPS seems to use odd codecs...as Converter Lite has always been fine in the past for this kind of thing. I've never done screen capturing before though so it's all new. Let me know how Bandicam goes!

Of course you can use it. I'm just disappointed that the storm ended so fast. I have longer storm sequences in older low rez ships.

Thanks! Even if not for this one, I have plenty of other videos planned for POTC if I get the time.

And format factory..wow...how have I not come across it before? :bow It's a little restricted in terms of output formats but all the main ones are here so it's perfect. Thanks mate :onya

I'm having the deck crashing issue which is severly hampering my footage-collecting effort :eek: I swear I saw a fix around here somewhere but can't find where! Can anyone help me with this?

Not sure what issue that is exactly. The one I fixed with sea.c would occur in 3D sailing mode, not on deck.
And that is already included in the 10 Jan version.

Back