• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Flags: Additional Personal and Pirate Flags

Very nice, I like them

Right, have a look at this and see if I've managed to save it correctly...

Attachments

• perflg6.tga.tx.zip
    215.6 KB · Views: 96
Right, have a look at this and see if I've managed to save it correctly...
As far as I can tell from TX Converter, yes you did. There is one "empty spot" on the right that is supposed to be alpha-mapped and I don't see it in TX Converter, so it probably worked.
If you update the pennants too, you'll be able to see if it works very easily in the game because pennants of course rely on alpha maps. :cheeky

No I didn't. The proportions of the original flags in "perflg6.tga" weren't right. The ones I added are all correct at 256 x 128, but the alpha map at the end wasn't. It seems that where the alpha map is black, the output will be transparent even if there's an image overlapping it - the pennant files have full size flags but pennant shaped opaque parts on the alpha map, so ConvertorTX shows the flags as pennant shaped. What that means is that the last bit of Milady's flag got cut off. I've corrected it and uploaded it again, so you may want to download it again.

No I didn't. The proportions of the original flags in "perflg6.tga" weren't right. The ones I added are all correct at 256 x 128, but the alpha map at the end wasn't. It seems that where the alpha map is black, the output will be transparent even if there's an image overlapping it - the pennant files have full size flags but pennant shaped opaque parts on the alpha map, so ConvertorTX shows the flags as pennant shaped. What that means is that the last bit of Milady's flag got cut off. I've corrected it and uploaded it again, so you may want to download it again.
Let me put it this way: It sounds like you understand alpha maps now and you did export that too, which seems to have worked as far as I can tell.
That's what I meant. ;)

If you update the pennants too, you'll be able to see if it works very easily in the game because pennants of course rely on alpha maps. :cheeky
Then you can try your luck with this...

Attachments

• perpnt6.tga.tx.zip
    184.8 KB · Views: 85
Then you can try your luck with this...
Just tested and your alpha maps definitely do work in the game.
Only comments:
- Your pennants don't yet have the same outline that the other pennants in the game do:
upload_2015-8-1_12-25-26.png

- Normally the pennants get a simplified design compared to the main ensign because a lot of detail doesn't work on a pennant shape
- I see you've got the US pennant for John Paul Jones still rectangular; see above for the one we usually give to US characters

This is definitely very good, though! One of the two lines almost done.
We just need some pennant updates and the flags and crests for RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\Flags and we'll be 50% done for personal flags! :cheers

Some of the pennants have the same outline as the usual. The one already supplied for Drake was a slightly different shape which I liked so I kept it. I intentionally kept the John Paul Jones pennant rectangular so that the pattern showed up better, and in fact, now I know what Alpha channel does, I may try some other shapes as well, e.g. a version with three trailing points instead of just two. Standard national pennants can stick to a uniform design; personal pennants are supposed to be personal. :D

What will need to be corrected is the patterns. The texture is stretched out over a very long pennant which makes a mess of some of the patterns, especially Roxanne's. The emblem needs to be squashed horizontally so that, when it's stretched out over a pennant, it will appear in the correct proportions.

When I choose the Danish flag, as personal flag, I get the American one instead?

That's because @Grey Roger 's improved flag textures are in the latest zip file but without corresponding flags and crests for the interface. So for the moment flags in the interface screen are what I prepared (and you see a Danish flag) and not all flags flown in row 6 will match what is shown in the interface.
For ones to match you would need to put this file in RESOURCE/textures/flags in place of the existing - you will then get a Danish flag, actually to get matching pennants you would need a replacement pennant file too. These are poorer draughted flags so you may prefer to await completion of a better set?

@Grey Roger all that's really needed is for the six flags you have to be made individual and sized so they can then go into the interface and be selectable, crests could follow later. If you check out the files in RESOURCE/textures/INTERFACES/flags/Flag_Personal05 to 65 (or better yet an earlier row where I haven't messed with the originals) you can see what is needed.

Attachments

• flags.7z
    273.3 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for your answer, so I prefer to await the completion.:)

By the looks of it ("it" specifically being "Flag_Personal00.tga"), the flag should be 110 x 55, starting at position 6,28. So I resized each of mine to 110 x 55, positioned them there, copied the alpha channel from "Flag_Personal00.tga", and saved the result. Having said that, not all the flags I replaced met those specifications...

My replacement pennant file is a few posts up, specifically here. ;)
- I see you've got the US pennant for John Paul Jones still rectangular; see above for the one we usually give to US characters
That's wrong, for a start. It needs more stripes. I'll need to see about giving the "Revolutions" and "Napoleonic" US a proper, rectangular pennant. xD

Meanwhile, see if this is any use for replacement interface flags.

Attachments

• INTERFACES.zip
    48.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Thanks again @Grey Roger! Any chance of some pictures? I can't view the TGA fors now but I'm really curious to see your latest works of art.

You're welcome to change the number of stars on those US pennants. Might as well be correct, no? :cheeky

Those were just the interface pictures. I tested them last night and they look correct, as well as being in the correct order. You've already seen the flags and pennants themselves. ;)

Did you get to the crests as well too or not yet?

While you're at it, any chance you can double check the Irish and smoking skull Brave Black Flag flags on the flag and interface pictures?
I think at least some of those don't match completely with the other ones we've got in look.
It is quite noticeable in the Select Storyline flag choice interface if you pay attention to it.

I'm working on crests. The snag is that they don't need the same fabric texture as flags so I need to look back at the original sources to get untextured flags, and then figure out how to superimpose them on "crest_neutral" to get the effect of a shiny shield. You'll need to give me filenames for the Irish and smoking skull flags. (The latter is probably a pirate flag and I haven't been looking at any of those, I've been dealing with personal flags.)

Quickest way to get the filenames is either to use TX Converter or see what row they're in on the Select Storyline interface.
The crests should be Ok because I did those along with many other Pirate and personal ones so they all match.
I can't give you the specific names myself because I'm not near my files.... :wp

Back