• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released HMS Unicorn

Beautiful as usual Pgargonl!!! I like this one better than our other frigates(except the Greyhound) because it's a much earlier frigate than typically found in our games. I'm trying to get my hands on a good set of plans for a 40 to 50 gun frigate of about 1670. I will be updating my picture folders with several new sets by this weekend.

MK

I always consider it a BIG update when a ship makes it into the game for real.
Good job, mate! How much do you have left to do? The rigging and crew by the looks of it, but what else?

Wow, this looks amazing well done Pgargon. :onya

Looks like we just found the ship to replace the ugly Caravel2 :dance

Replace a caravel with a frigate? Are you sure that's what you mean? :wacko:

Yep the Caravel2 needs to be replaced, i know why replace a Caravel with a Frigate. We have i don't know how many trade ships like Fleut's, Galleon's, Pinnace's etc. Replacing the Caravel will definatly not effect the gameplay as far as a merchant player goes because they have many more trade ships available to them.

Yep the Caravel2 needs to be replaced, i know why replace a Caravel with a Frigate. We have i don't know how many trade ships like Fleut's, Galleon's, Pinnace's etc. Replacing the Caravel will definatly not effect the gameplay as far as a merchant player goes because they have many more trade ships available to them.

I see your point Luke, but so many of the trading ships at least have really different/unique looks. The frigates all look so similar.

I'm gonna take a poll pretty soon from the players on what they think of ships that need to go away. I myself would replace the Lydia with the Unicorn, unless someone is just really in love with the Lydia. They're both frigates.

And if Lydia isn't the right ship, I would put her in place of one of the "uggos" like the cutter with the magic floating jib sails, Nightmare, Salamander, or Mermaid Grief.....although Caravel2 is not a very pretty ship. She could really use a reskin.

You know Heavy ship of the Line or in the new 3.2 beta HMS Agamemnon is in my opinion the ugliest, least correct/authentic ship we have, however I think we should just wait for the new Agamemnon and swap them out.

MK

Ok well which is worse, Lydia or Batavia2?

I never use any of the Batavia's and i think the Lydia has a messed up walk file for the player when walking on the deck. I think she has the Corvette's layout but the deck of the Lydia is open so your having to remember how the staircase was for both sections ie, poop deck and the forward deck (just woke up and mind is still asleep). Or is it the Batavia2 that has the problem i just explained with the Lydia, i know one of the ships has this problem and is the reason i aviod it. But now i aviod several ships i keep getting them mixed up as to why i aviod them.

Maybe with a reskin the Caravel2 would look much better, we just need a fully working walkfile for her. Craiggo if you can find a skin for the Caravel2 and test it please, maybe my thourghts would change then.

@ modernknight1 did not you happen to have a good plan for a Caravelle? Then let us build up a new one. How about with the Magellan? How about the "Adler von Lübeck"? However, this is a damn powerful ship. ;)

That sounds even better Pgargon, if you do start to build a new Caravel then that can replace Caravel2 and the HMS Unicorn can replace either Batavia2 or Lydia depending on which of those ships is most messed up.

That sounds even better Pgargon, if you do start to build a new Caravel then that can replace Caravel2 and the HMS Unicorn can replace either Batavia2 or Lydia depending on which of those ships is most messed up.

I will also add that there would have been way more merchant ships than fighting ships. :keith

@Luke: I'm not in love with either of them, but would rather have them than those on my hate list. As usual we make a good team because you're looking at the problem from a usability, numbers and programming aspect, while I'm looking at it only from an artisitic and historical aspect. ;)

@Pgargon: I do have plans for a caravel and a nao. That's actually what I've been working on, but they don't look very good. I am not at home this week. Got sent on a task, so on the road, but will have new material to include caravel plans on line when I get back (end of the week). I think that's a wonderful idea! Another knockout from Pgargon! :yes

MK

I will also add that there would have been way more merchant ships than fighting ships. :keith

@Luke: I'm not in love with either of them, but would rather have them than those on my hate list. As usual we make a good team because you're looking at the problem from a usability, numbers and programming aspect, while I'm looking at it only from an artisitic and historical aspect. ;)

@Pgargon: I do have plans for a caravel and a nao. That's actually what I've been working on, but they don't look very good. I am not at home this week. Got sent on a task, so on the road, but will have new material to include caravel plans on line when I get back (end of the week). I think that's a wonderful idea! Another knockout from Pgargon! :yes

MK

Yep we sure do, we have come a long way. Making RTBL work, porting ships over, testing and more testing. We both have very similar aims and i think thats why we work so well together. Pgargon keeps teasing us with new updates for ships he's making and we all love him for his work. His updates keeps us looking at what we can replace to further improve the enjoyment of the game and the ships released so far are so good, in everyone's favourite ships list there is at least 3 ships of Pgargon's. When i see a ship he's made i have to have it, at one time it was must get a trade ship now its must get the Sophie or Felipe.

Well if either of those 2 models can be replaced then we will replce them, one with this ship and the other as soon as a new Frigate or small ship is released. More small ships are very welcome in my oppinion, we have many great looking large ships and any new ones that are released will replace the ugly large ships as will be the case for the smaller ships, our aim is to improve all the ugly ships and then add new ships if we have run out of ugly ships to replace. Ships like the Bounty which is identical to the Edinbough needs fixing to be authentic. The Pink aka Cutter needs to be replaced with a new Cutter or another small ship. It would be nice to see a better model for the Bermuda Sloop. So many ships need looking at its hard to count them all off hand or even remember them all but one day we will have so many great ships we will be in a battle looking at the ship who's firing at us thinking wow she looks awesome, it will be a shame to blow any holes in her. xD:

Why are you people talking of replacing? Just add what's worth adding, keep what's worth keeping and remove what's not worth keeping. :wacko:

As for the HMS Bounty vs. the Edinburg, the Edinburg is intended to be used as the Edinburg Trader in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.
That ship was actually the HMS Bounty, but repainted for real. Since you're not going to be having a DMC storyline any time soon, you might want to keep just the Bounty.
She's got the best texture anyway. There's two though: ZarethPL's original and Thomas the Terror's more realistically coloured reskin.

What's wrong with the Bermuda Sloop? That's actually a community-made custom model and even has a cabin inside.
All that I can detect "wrong" with her is that she's got a name at her stern, which could do with being removed.

The ships with the biggest problems have already gone, its only the likes of the Batavia2, Lydia that needs replacing. As for the Beruda Sloop, its the texctures, i think the ship only has 1 texture. The model its self is fine just a little dated now. With the modellers now been able to use the tools much better i feel the Bermuda Sloop could do with a make over, the cabin is a nice touch and should remain, i like ships with open cabins and windows you can see out of. The cannons look a little to big for a ship like this. Not trying to say its a poor ships model just somethings could be changed to improve its looks.

We could remove thje Edinbourgh although we would still be left with a Bounty that isn't historically correct, the removal of some of the cannon locators would be nice so that she fires a full amount of 4 guns and not 16 or however many she fires at the moment.

How about setting a target to replace all the dated models with new, up-to-date models of those ships...

So a More detailed model of the Bermuda Sloop, Lugger and all of the little ships as well as medium ones. Would add something great to the game as well as just frigates and 3rd rates. :p

I agree that we should do what ever it takes to update the ships we have in-game and add the new nice ones that you all are working so diligently on. New models with greater detail would be the best option says I. Make the game feel more balanced, thus making all happy weed agree.. ;)

Meanwhile, I have re-textured some of the ship. I have added details like anchors, helmsmen, rigging, etc. to all the PoTC ships (thanks guys). I have implemented the see into cabins to all but the ships that don't have them made or they have the Dead-eyes added from Pgargon and I don't haven't figured out how to merge the cabin windows hull with the work that pgargon did. He has nice rigging on all the cannons, dead-eyes, tack and blocks and the like, so I don't want to loose his work. I'd rather have all that detail on the outside of the ship then see into cabins until I figure out how to combine the GM files. :cheers

This I think shall this shall complement the game proper like until the models get redone thinks I. What say you? :2up

Hear is an example of the ManoWar Fast:

[attachment=5660:New ManoWar_Fast textures and details.jpg]

Don't ask me how the anchors got put on backwards. :?

Craiggo, you've been adding details to the PotC ships? Seb's been doing the same.
Maybe you should check with him so you can use each other's work and prevent doing doubles.

We could remove thje Edinbourgh although we would still be left with a Bounty that isn't historically correct, the removal of some of the cannon locators would be nice so that she fires a full amount of 4 guns and not 16 or however many she fires at the moment.
What's wrong with the Bounty? I thought she was accurately modeled.
She does seem to have her small cannons firing as well, but that's easily sorted by removing the cannon locators.

Back